Non-Derby County games thread

ANGERMAN1

I haven't read through all the posts has anyone claimed Barcelona lost tonight? They lost on aggregate, they had the chances and didn't put them away. If you don't score you don't win. While Barcelona are beautiful to watch I love it when they lose. Because it shows football is still alive, that even the very best slip up and lose games. If the best team always won we would be bored rigid after a season. It's why despite Barcelona being far superior I am glad they lost.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely love the way Barca play football. I dislike Chelsea extremely but I do know that any given football match is between two teams and the beauty of football, the very reason why it is the greatest game on the planet, is the sheer (on occasion) unpredictability of it.

If Chelsea played 10 games against Barca they'd lose 9 of them. However, every now and again the fickle football fairy conspires against the favourites and a team holds on despite overwhelming odds.

The day the "best" team always wins is the day football dies.

Don't get me wrong football is great for occasions like this.. A great underdog wins..

The thing that gets me is those that are so jealous of Barca now claiming they've been found out or they're all of a sudden rubbish.. They only drew tonight chasing a 3rd goal, if it was a league game Chelsea wouldn't have had the opportunity to defend like that when losing..

But those people who now claim Barca are 'done' are the same people who claim the power has shifted in Manchester after Utds 1-6 loss.. You can't disregard a team who has been absoloutley dominant for the past 5 years or so over one game where they were very unfortunate to lose..

If Derby played like that against and lost of 2 legs (a league cup semi-final) in the same manner we'd all be going absoloute ape **** at the other team for being so anti-football..

Stoke are feckin beautiful to watch in comparison that Chelsea performance

Chelsea scored 1 more goal than Barcelona over the 2 legs, is that not the idea of the game? Barca can't be that good if they had so many chances and lost.

I think if you asked Barca fans whether they would prefer to see their team putting 100 passes together on the halfway line and losing or defending for their lives and winning, there would only be one answer.

You're wrong.. Barca would never accept that style of play, never in a million years..

They've had it ever since Cruyff was at the club, Barca have one way of playing and they stick to it.. They wouldn't be the team they are if they didn't play that way..

Winners or not, Barca have taken football to the next level.. The team they've had and their style of play over the past few years will be spoken about in 100 years..

Iniesta, Xavi, Messi etc.. Have cemented their places in the history books.. Lampard and Terry won't even be spoken about in 20 years outside of Chelsea

Well the thug could hardly say anything else could he.? The camera never lies and he acted like the typical red dog thug he is.

What wil be great is that he cant play in the final and potentially lift the trophy.

Also funny that arry could fininsh 4th and miss out..! Ha ha or newcastle ha ha.

You're wrong.. Barca would never accept that style of play, never in a million years..

They've had it ever since Cruyff was at the club, Barca have one way of playing and they stick to it.. They wouldn't be the team they are if they didn't play that way..

Winners or not, Barca have taken football to the next level.. The team they've had and their style of play over the past few years will be spoken about in 100 years..

Iniesta, Xavi, Messi etc.. Have cemented their places in the history books.. Lampard and Terry won't even be spoken about in 20 years outside of Chelsea

If I'm so wrong then why is Guardiola coming under fire?

Surely nobody cares as long as they continue playing there pretty football?

I won't deny that Barcelona are the best footballing club I have ever seen. Last night they got found out though by an average team with 10 men.

When Messi doesn't fire neither do Barcelona, a point proven in their last 3 matches.

3 Questions spring to mind

{content}
Will Chelski win the European cup sorry Champions league?[/indent]

{content}
Will Roberto di Mateo now get the recognition he deserve?[/indent]

{content}
Will we be playing Villa in the league next season?[/indent]

And as an extra

{content}
When will Messi score again?[/indent]

{content}
Do we want him taking our penalties?[/indent]

PS. Still think Barca are brilliant, but it's a funny old game!

If I'm so wrong then why is Guardiola coming under fire?

Surely nobody cares as long as they continue playing there pretty football?

I won't deny that Barcelona are the best footballing club I have ever seen. Last night they got found out though by an average team with 10 men.

When Messi doesn't fire neither do Barcelona, a point proven in their last 3 matches.

They didnt get found out though, they still created enough chances to win the game easily.

How often does Messi miss the chances he did last night? Almost never.

Messi had a terrible game yet they still created clear cut chances.

I cant remember to many, and you could argue last night that Chelsea had as many clear cut as they did.

The problem was last night was that they were predictable, they passed the ball around in areas that did not hurt Chelsea, and I cant remember to many times when Chec was called upon to make a save.

I think they had 6 shots on target throughout the game, for a team with over 80% possession that is very poor, some games it just doesnt work for you.

I cant remember to many, and you could argue last night that Chelsea had as many clear cut as they did.

The problem was last night was that they were predictable, they passed the ball around in areas that did not hurt Chelsea, and I cant remember to many times when Chec was called upon to make a save.

I think they had 6 shots on target throughout the game, for a team with over 80% possession that is very poor, some games it just doesnt work for you.

Messi had two in the first half where all he had was the keeper to beat from not bad angles, then the penalty. That's three where you'd expect him to score all of them. Plus the two goals, that should have been enough to win the game. Admittedly in the second half they werent as good, half chances for the left winger and Busquets is all i can remember. Once they missed the penalty you just knew it wasnt gunna be there day.

Ok, it finished 2-2. But Barca never would have left Torres alone on the half way line if they didnt need to score when winning the game 2-1. It's a bit harsh to criticise them for that goal.

They didnt get found out though, they still created enough chances to win the game easily.

How often does Messi miss the chances he did last night? Almost never.

Chelsea had the best 2 chances of the second half. Cech made a good block and tipped that Messi shot on to the post. Chelsea defence did not look worried at any point in time to me.

Chelsea had the best 2 chances of the second half. Cech made a good block and tipped that Messi shot on to the post. Chelsea defence did not look worried at any point in time to me.

In the second half Barca werent as good, that's true.

So the Chelsea defence werent worried in the first half when Messi burst through early and hit the site netting, and when all he had to do was slot it past Cech from 10 yards out under little pressure, or when they gave away a penalty?

I know why people like Barcelona, they're great at keeping the ball and have some silky smooth skills from players like Messi and Iniesta. I really like Iniesta as a player, so unselfish and always 100% topped up with some of the best skills in the game. Players like Messi and Iniesta rarely lose the ball.

But for what it's worth in a football game, the whole team that is, is so boring. Constantly passing it sideways. Arsenal were slated for that same reason for a good few years, they had no penetration and ended up losing games they absolutely dominated so many times.

I'm not the biggest fan of Chelsea's game either, thought because Di Matteo was a footballing player he'd install a bit of footballing into their game but I guess he's gone down the Italian route of basic football. Defend like b***ards and hit them on the break. Fair play though, it worked out for them.

I prefer to watch a Tottenham, Newcastle or at a push (cos it's them) ManUre. The game is open, it's a competition. It's not boring. Do what Chelsea did against Barca, you've got a good chance because they can't create the golden chances they need to win a game.

Watching a team like Germany play for example, whatever player they have in their squad they have one of the most effective styles of playing football. They don't always have big names either.

Fair play to Barca for creating an effective style, but once you've figured out how to defend against it, the game is boring. Chelsea are a boring team, Barca are a boring team.

Saying al lthat though, it was a fascinating game last night. Full of events and what a prime plonker John Terry is. Doesn't beat the last game between the two sides though when Barca nicked it in the last few mins, Ballack chasing the ref, 3 or4 good shouts for a peno to Chelsea and Drogba declaring it "a f*%@ing disgrace".

Archived