Watford v Derby County

Day

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to hear about injuries and how we are going to struggle. I just want to hear that Clough genuinely thinks we are going to go out and win on Sat and if he can't convey that to us in an interview how do you think he does it in the dressing room. I am pro Clough overall..... but everybody has injuries.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2418391,00.html

Nigel Clough says Derby County must get their performance right at Watford tomorrow in order to bounce back from Tuesday's Carling Cup defeat against Shrewsbury.

Derby's will head south to Vicarage Road in their first away game of the season looking to put their 3-2 defeat to the League Two side behind them as quickly as possible.

Clough's men found themselves 3-0 down at the interval insists the Rams must start better this time around and reproduce the form that saw them start the season with a 2-1 win over Birmingham last Saturday.

He said: "It's Sean Dyche's first home game since becoming manager there, so we are expecting a good atmosphere.

"Warford had a decent draw away at Burnley on the opening day and will be looking to build on it.

"But we are concentrating on ourselves and getting our performance right.

"Last Saturday we did and won the game. On Tuesday we didn't, even for just 45 minutes, and paid a heavy price.

"It's good to have an opportunity to put that right straight away.

"It's going to be a very tough game and we know to compete we will need to work just as hard as we did against Birmingham City on the opening day."

Clough will welcome fit-again James Bailey and Craig Bryson back into the squad as well as Jamie Ward and Jeff Hendrick following international duty to face the Hornets.

However, midfielder Stephen Pearson is out after picking up an injury on Tuesday.

He explained: "Squad wise we are in better shape than Tuesday night.

"James Bailey and Craig Bryson are fit to be selected for the starting XI again and both Jamie Ward and Jeff Hendrick are back from international duty.

"However, we have lost Stephen Pearson with an abdominal strain, so he won't travel."

Clough's defensive are limited with just Jason Shackell and Mark O'Brien to call upon in central defence.

Injuries to Shaun Barker, Russell Anderson, Chris Riggott, Jake Buxton and Dean Leacock have stretched the Rams' defensive options to the limit.

Clough said: "We'll be going into the game with just two fit centre halves, but it's something we just have to get on with.

"Jason Shackell and Mark O'Brien will carry the strain for the time being.

"Gareth Roberts is fully fit again as well so that gives us the option of playing Kevin Kilbane at centre half if necessary and putting Gareth at left back."

Thought the squad juggling days were over :(

Don't want to hear about injuries and how we are going to struggle. I just want to hear that Clough genuinely thinks we are going to go out and win on Sat and if he can't convey that to us in an interview how do you think he does it in the dressing room. I am pro Clough overall..... but everybody has injuries.

genuinely chuckled to myself then

If Leacock isn't really injured then he should play, 'cos if Shackell gets injured worse playing hurt and it comes out when Leacock signs for Mickleover Sports that he was shut out when he could have played, it would be a disaster. He has been ill and hurt his knee as the two excuses this year plus several other iffy excuses towards the end of last year. Just seems dodgy to me a bit like Varney was shut out and it must come down to money.

Archived