Stevie Howard

Wilko

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually not a big fan of "nostalgia" signings, but there is some merit to considering this one.

Having seen him in our promotion season a few times he was used as the sort of "softening up" tool - would spend the first 30 mins jumping into defenders and skittling a few of the more spindly ones over a few times. Then they'd spend the rest of the game looking petrified whilst the nimbler forwards made hay in the spaces.

Mind, the kit bill would treble - have you seen the size of his shorts?:)

• 2 weeks later...
Howard was known for his heading and ball holding!! He will not lose this ability till about 38 so I'd say take him back on what we know he can do... What it says on the lable, a battering ram that will put his body in where it hurts!

Not if he can't get to where it hurts until 2 minutes after the action has moved on. He was never the quickest in his previous stint with us and has slowed down since. He is not the future, whereas if we need a player of his ilk why not give Callum Ball a chance, O'Brien and Hendrick have worked out quite well so far

Not strong enough!! Yet

Not arguing but do we have any evidence to substantiate this opinion? The same could have been said about OBrien and Hendrick this time last month.

I'd like to see him given a chance before we decide we need an alternative option on loan.

For what its worth, if we do decide to get someone in on loan (big Stevie Howard or anyone else) I think it is a better move than a permanent signing. If we sign a big target man on a permanent basis we may not see Ball breaking through for at least another season or more, if at all.

Not arguing but do we have any evidence to substantiate this opinion? The same could have been said about OBrien and Hendrick this time last month.

I'd like to see him given a chance before we decide we need an alternative option on loan.

For what its worth, if we do decide to get someone in on loan (big Stevie Howard or anyone else) I think it is a better move than a permanent signing. If we sign a big target man on a permanent basis we may not see Ball breaking through for at least another season or more, if at all.

Watching him on Saturday, despite scoring 2 goals, I'm not fully convinced by him.

He relies a lot on his physicality more than anything else, but that's easy when you developed early physically and you're playing 16 and 17 year olds who haven't. Also, his first touch is poor and he won't find enough space for that not to be an issue for his game.

He knows where the net is and he has a decent shot on him, that's why he scores, but his goals exaggerate his natural ability, IMO. I'd rather have a short-term loan for Howard while we wait and see if Ball develops further and loses the weight he shouldn't have put on in the first place.

While we're on young players, the players I saw from the academy that really impressed me were Galinski, Wixted, Jones and Morchs. Not so much head-line grabbing players, but they showed plenty of attributes which if developed and nutured could provide something to offer the first team in a season or three.

Either way, Clough has seen these players play and train every day. I think he's pretty well qualified to judge.

While we're on young players, the players I saw from the academy that really impressed me were Galinski, Wixted, Jones and Morchs. Not so much head-line grabbing players, but they showed plenty of attributes which if developed and nutured could provide something to offer the first team in a season or three.

Hughes was by far the best on the ball for me. Reminded me a bit of Barnes at that age.

• 1 month later...

Archived