Chris Maquire

davenportram

Compensation for international transfers is nothing like it is for English transfers. It's all very regulated - you pay a certain amount for each year the player was at the other club for developing the player, with the amount depending on the two clubs involved (and the age of the player during those years). It sounds like the point of contention is that MacGuire has been a full member of Aberdeens first team for the last season, so we are objecting paying development costs for a player that wasn't being developed, he was a fully active squad member (otherwise we would have effectively funded MacGuire playing for Aberdeen for the last season). It absolutely makes sense for us to do this, since there's no way the compensation can be increased because it's limited by the number of years he's been at Aberdeen, and if the decision goes our way, we save a few quid.

And it sounds as if it's all sorted from the player's personal terms are concerned so why not try to pay as little as possible?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But isn't there a chance we could end up paying more than the £400K Aberdeen want?

the compensation aberdeen want is based on the FIFA formula and is the maximum. So no there is no chance we could have to pay more. It will all depend on how desperate for cash Aberdeen are, and if they can wait for the tribunal to set the fee.

Still annoys me that if it was the other way around and we had a youngster that was out of contract going to Scotland we would not be entitled to a penny. It is a disgrace, but I suppose the English are used to getting ripped off and have all our money taken by other nations (We have the worst deal in the UK and the EU is frankly taking the piss).

Why would we not be entitled to a penny? The same FIFA rules apply both ways.

They can't do, Joe Ledley was set to sign for Stoke and Cardiff were due around £3million compensation for him, he went to Celic instead and they got nothing if my memory is correct!

Exactly, I was reading about something else the other day about some young kid thinking of going to Celtic when his contract expired (can't remember who) and his English club were not entitled to anything even though they have a fraction of the wealth of Celtic

getting bored now, with Bryson signed I just want Maguire and Tyson sorted out, whichever way it goes so we can move onto the next batch, focus on Shackell and look to our other targets more. This is getting too long winded for me.

I know what you are saying, I keep logging on hoping for a new target to be confirmed or a new signing to be unveiled. Still, at least we are being a bit more tight lipped this time, I reckon us blurting out what we were up to last summer and in Jan cost us a couple of signings- Conor Sammon being one.

I know what you are saying, I keep logging on hoping for a new target to be confirmed or a new signing to be unveiled. Still, at least we are being a bit more tight lipped this time, I reckon us blurting out what we were up to last summer and in Jan cost us a couple of signings- Conor Sammon being one.

What makes you think we were the ones who made things public. There are 3 possibilities are, the agent trying to engineer a move, the selling club trying to ramp up the price and the buying club trying to unsettle the player.

The former is the most common and the latter is the least common (at our level). Have you got any evidence to suggest it was Derby who spilt the beans?

wrong aint it! I think Forest lost a player to Celtic aswell this past season and got nothing for him! but we have to pay Aberdeen :rolleyes:

Isn't that just due to differing ages in the regulations though? International compensation is for players under 23 (like MacGuire), but under English league rules it's under 24. I presume Ledley was 23 when he joined Celtic, hence £3m to Stoke, but free to Celtic. If an under-23 English based player moved to Scotland, they would have to pay compensation.

Isn't that just due to differing ages in the regulations though? International compensation is for players under 23 (like MacGuire), but under English league rules it's under 24. I presume Ledley was 23 when he joined Celtic, hence £3m to Stoke, but free to Celtic. If an under-23 English based player moved to Scotland, they would have to pay compensation.

still wrong though it should all be the same, not causing any fuss then!

Archived