Chris Maquire

davenportram

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just read a Aberdeen forum and there fairly spilt 50 - 50 over this player. Some think he's got potential others can't wait to see the back of him as he's feck'in useless.

To say he's a striker his strike rate isn't that great , which is something they've ( at Aberdeen) moaned about for a while. according to them he'd only scored 1 goal from open play in the last 5 months , then on the last day of there season pops up with 2 goals .....

Very good point.

Anyone else other than myself on here managed to talk themselves in to thinking this could be a ruddy good signing?

Other than the clip of him scoring from the halfway line I have never seen or heard anything of this guy, however, he appears a bright prospect and is an international (even if it is Scotland)

More than anything, seeing someone who seems genuinely excited about coming to Derby makes this a positive signing for me.

A pretty much summary article of developments from yesterday:

ABERDEEN striker Chris Maguire says a move to Derby County would be "massive" for him.

The 22-year-old is out of contract at Pittodrie and is set to join the Rams.

Due to the player's age, Derby will need to pay compensation to Aberdeen, who want £400,000.

Maguire is currently on international duty with Scotland.

He asked to be released from the squad earlier this week in order to undergo a medical in Derby but national boss Craig Levein turned his request down.

The young forward was an unused substitute in Wednesday night's 3-1 win over Wales in Dublin but will be hoping to add to his one cap so far on Sunday, when Scotland take on the Republic of Ireland at the Aviva Stadium in a Nations Cup decider.

Maguire is planning to go on holiday on Wednesday, so is hoping his transfer can be completed before he goes.

"Yes, I have spoken to Derby and my agent has spoken with them," he said. "That's all I can really say at this moment in time.

"It is strange, because I've never been in this position before but I will speak to my agent and we will see what happens.

"I am here (in Dublin) until Sunday night, when the team flies back to Glasgow.

"Then, I am planning to go on holiday on Wednesday, so if anything is happening, hopefully it will be either on Monday or Tuesday."

On the possibility of signing for the Rams, Maguire said: "It would be massive for me.

"You ask anybody associated with football and they know that Derby is a massive club.

"That is one of the reasons I have thought hard about it.

"Nothing is finalised yet, so it still might not happen – but, hopefully, something will happen."

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown had hoped to keep hold of Maguire but is now resigned to losing him.

"We did everything to persuade Chris to stay," said Brown, who spent a brief time as football consultant at Derby under Billy Davies.

"I'm convinced it would have been the better option.

"But we will not accept anything less than we feel we're due. The compensation is non-negotiable.

"He can only sign for Derby if they agree to pay what Aberdeen are looking for."

Maguire scored 12 goals in 44 appearances for Aberdeen this season.

He made his senior international debut in February, as a late substitute in Scotland's 3-0 win against Northern Ireland.

While representing Scotland Under-21 against Iceland last October, he scored a goal from the halfway line, straight from a kick-off.

Derby are also closing in on Kilmarnock midfielder Craig Bryson. The Rams have been in talks with the Scottish Premier League club since making a bid believed to be of around £300,000.

Bryson, who has also been capped once by Scotland, started 33 of Kilmarnock's 38 league games this season.

Hull City and Brighton & Hove Albion have also been linked with the 24-year-old, who had a trial with Derby in 2007 when he played for Clyde.

Other summer targets for Rams boss Nigel Clough include Leicester City striker Martyn Waghorn, Nottingham Forest's out-of-contract attacker Nathan Tyson, Watford midfielder John Eustace, Barnsley defender Jason Shackell and Inverness CT forward Adam Rooney.

Players can do no right for some.

The fact we have been trying to reduce the wage bill like mad for a while now would completely contradict paying so much per week for someone like this.

If we are offering Maguire 7k a week to play here, I would happily get my balls out, lay them on a cobble stone pavement and let every registered member on here jump on them, one jump per person!

i'd guess the figure would be around half of that!

If we are offering Maguire 7k a week to play here, I would happily get my balls out, lay them on a cobble stone pavement and let every registered member on here jump on them, one jump per person!

i'd guess the figure would be around half of that!

Just in case, if I were you, I would put the testicle department on a toughening up regime. Although I would jump gently, I am sure that there are many on here would take more advantage of your brave offer.:eek:

Why is it people complain when someone is wanting to sign for us and asks the international manager to have some time off to go for a medical when he knows he is not starting a game. Surely this sounds like a player who really wants to play for us. Now as for the newspaper article obviously a fan of the club and does not want him to go and becuase he is, he is very bitter and twisted. For me another piece of evidence that he is a prospect and not a numpty as some are adamant in arguing without actually watching him play

"Maguire's priorities are so blinded either by greed or his agent's advice that he outrageously made a request to leave the Scotland camp yesterday to have a medical with England's 39th best club."

http://www.aberdeen-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/maguire_puts_cash_before_country_679251/index.shtml

An outstanding piece of impartial journalism!

This isn't journalism, just some clown on a message board, not to be taken seriously.

He's clearly annoyed because Maguire wants to leave, love the reference to the English Third Division, takes me back a few years!

Archived