Chris Maquire

davenportram

it can be a problem though, even if a player is very good and is arrogant it can still go wrong, and the spl isn't a good league, i watch games on espn and formerly setanta and it is poor. Aberdeen aren't good but 12 goals in 38 isn't even one in 3 in a poor league.

Football isn't just about stats, give the boy a chance for god's sake. He's a pretty good player.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SPL Assists

David Goodwillie 10

Vladimir Weiss 9

Christopher Maguire 9

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics

Point proven. He isn't the so called goalscorer that we haven't been promised. Been calling out for us to not be a team of individuals for years. This league is best conquered through team spirit and work ethic, not 1 or 2 star players.

You need to have a team unit, doesn't matter how many brilliant individual players you have, if they can't play together then you're not going to get anywhere!

Gerrard and Lampard, main example..

You just look at successful teams in this league, most of them don't sign big money players. Swansea, Reading, Blackpool etc.

All teams who signed players on the cheap and moulded their abilities and fit them in as a team. Can you imagine the excitement of the Reading fans when they signed Doyle and Long from Ireland??

That's why I'm glad Robbie Savage has gone, I didn't like all of the videos he put twitter and we were known in the media a bit too much as Robbie Savage's Derby County.

First person ive read using the "Savage FC" term, other than myself. Fully agree with you.

First person ive read using the "Savage FC" term, other than myself. Fully agree with you.

In the past and was never the case imo. If we are going to try and sign decent players he has raised the profile of our club and has glowing words to say about Clough. Damn you Savage for publicly making our club more attractive :mad:

I think Savage has had an indifferent effect on the club (nothing like sitting on the fence) but I say this due to some people loving the welshman, and others hate him.. therefore some people will like him and take a fondness to us, and on the other hand some people will hate him and hate us because we pay him. That is the truth behind it, It's nowhere near as bad as the classic 'roy keanes sunderland' which was the phrase used more than 'sunderland' on its own.

Apart from, in my opinion, he has never been good enough for us, he is only interested in himself and his media work and he's an embarrassment. All of which is why for the past few years has become synonimous with the club by association. We were no longer Derby County in opposition fans' or the media eyes, we were Robbie Savage's team.

Football isn't just about stats, give the boy a chance for god's sake. He's a pretty good player.

sorry but it is, stats define what are good players and bad players, stats don't define however who will fit in a team unit but you could make a guess. srg the assists is a stat which you have proven to make a case for this guy, personally i don't think this is a worthwhile signing, plenty of people who have done brilliantly in scotland have failed here, this guy has done ok in scotland nothing more and we are buying him, i would rather us spend our time on experienced proven championship players of which we were promised.

sorry but it is, stats define what are good players and bad players, stats don't define however who will fit in a team unit but you could make a guess. srg the assists is a stat which you have proven to make a case for this guy, personally i don't think this is a worthwhile signing, plenty of people who have done brilliantly in scotland have failed here, this guy has done ok in scotland nothing more and we are buying him, i would rather us spend our time on experienced proven championship players of which we were promised.

What were Brayford and Bailey's stats before joining Derby?

What were Danny Graham's stats before he joined Watford?

What were Adel Taarabt's stats before joining QPR?

So we should only get players with good stats now, rather than recruit on potential?

Stats are relative, they are a guide but cannot really be applied to a 22 year old as there is no way he would have reached his potential yet.

Take as an example Alan Shearer, from memory (and I could be wrong) he didn't score loads of goals for Southampton but he was highly rated, played well for the U-21's and had just made his England Debut which saw Blackburn pay a load of money for a 22 (about) year old and get a great player - if they had gone off stats they may not have bothered.

Now I'm not saying that this guy is anywhere near that level but there are similarities, in terms of age and career profile which is why I used him as an example and it goes to show that stats can not be used as a full proof guide when it comes to youngsters, If they reckon this lad has the talent to make it then given Clough's decent track record in spotting young players I would be happy to see him down here.

i would rather us spend our time on experienced proven championship players of which we were promised.

[sIZE=3]Unfortunately Clough believes that Tyson is [/sIZE]experienced proven championship player.

TBH i would rather us sign this scottish kid than poor forest reject. I have never seen Maguire play though!

Stats can define a player to some extent, but only at the end of his career. Not about a quarter of the way through it.

There are so many players, especially forwards, that don't score many goals that are good players.

Heskey was at the very top of his game supporting Michael Owen - he wasn't scoring week in, week out.

When Dirk Kuyt is upfront for Liverpool he's not a regular scorer - look what he does for the team

There is more to an evaluation of how a player will fit into a team than the only two stats available to you. How does he make himself available? movement off the ball, movement on the ball, passing ability, can he deliver a dead ball, can he delivery a live ball, how quickly can he assess a situation, is he aware of what is happening around him, character, does he keep going, what does he do when he loses a ball, does he get into the faces of the opposition etc. etc. I know no more about this player than most people apart from 3 or 4 fairly impressive You Tube clips, but while I appreciate that you are very young, to say that two stats define what are good or bad players, or otherwise take a guess about whether they will fit into a team is nonsense.

Archived