Contract renewals - who would you keep?

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It was definitely Wilson and Elder who Warne referred to

Not in the interview I watched and listened to. PW did more than one pre season interview.

Quite feasible that at the time he said it was Fozzy, it was true and, over the weeks, Wilson and Elder took the crown... or vice versa

On 08/10/2024 at 10:44, jimbobram said:

I was reading and agreeing until I saw Conor Washington - looked good at the start of 23/24. Couldn't carry on. Awful Awful player. His record was terrible before he came here, his record is even worse now. 

Washington got 3 goals and 2 assist from his first 15 games, and didn't play a single full 90 minutes. More pace and mobility than Collins. If he hadn't knacked his ankle and missed 30-odd games, he would have contributed over the season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not sure why I forgot Yates is contracted until 2026. He's clearly out of Swansea's plans, so should be available for a low fee either in January or the summer.

Transfermarkt say Phillips is free next summer though. What's your source for 2 years?

I’d expect his wage demands to be way outside our budget. He’ll go to a top 6 champ/promoted PL club, or abroad.

Nelson and Wilson for me, plus maybe Fozzy if he’s fit and wants another year the end of the season. Wouldn’t be sentimental either, the guy just proves time and again, he’s more than reliable back up and generally gets game time over every supposed replacement during a season; truly remarkable servant and resilient player or the club to have.

On 08/10/2024 at 11:38, ossieram said:

I'll leave it to whoever got us Kenzo, Jacob and Eboui. 

Agree with this though, the more we get into the season, the more this last phase of recruiting looks pretty darn good.

3 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Washington got 3 goals and 2 assist from his first 15 games, and didn't play a single full 90 minutes. More pace and mobility than Collins. If he hadn't knacked his ankle and missed 30-odd games, he would have contributed over the season.

werent those goals in the glorified cup against kids? He isnt anywhere near good enough

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Too soon to say for a couple.

Loans expiring and keep: Phillips, Harness, Yates
Loans expiring but returning to parent clubs: Ozoh, Chirewa
Extend: Wilson, Nelson
Undecided: Forsyth, LThompson
Release: Luthra, Bradley, Fornah, Barkhuizen, Washington, Collins

Any of those in the 'release' list can leave in January if we find replacements. Ward is 3rd choice RB at the moment. Unless we change to wing backs, we'll be looking to move him on too.

That would mean we can focus our attention on just 5 summer signings (other than making some current loans permanent). We should be looking for permanent options at AM, LW and CF for this January window too, making the summer window a little easier.

GK: Zetterstrom, Vickers, Evans/JThompson
RB: Nyambe, Wilson, Ward
RCB: Phillips, Nelson, Rooney
LCB: Cashin, Forsyth
LB: New, Elder
DM: New, Adams
CM: Goudmijn, Osborn, LThompson
AM: New, Harness
RW: Jackson, Mendez-Laing
LW: New, Blackett-Taylor
CF: New, Yates, DBrown

More or less agreed but I think I'd focus on a DM in January and probably look at 2 in the summer. With the caveat of looking at moving to 433. 

Phillips might depend on wages a little as well.

On Thompson, personally I think it's a weird one. I think in our relegation side I think he showed the tools that he can develop into a very good player at this level but in league 1 under Warne his development stagnated and doesn't seem particularly highly rated by Warne. From what I've seen I think he's a better player than Osborn and he's the kind of player that will look better and better the more interested you are in passing the ball around. I'd try to keep him for sure (but I'd also likely be playing him a fair bit) however for his own sake I think he should probably be looking elsewhere.

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

More or less agreed but I think I'd focus on a DM in January and probably look at 2 in the summer. With the caveat of looking at moving to 433. 

Phillips might depend on wages a little as well.

On Thompson, personally I think it's a weird one. I think in our relegation side I think he showed the tools that he can develop into a very good player at this level but in league 1 under Warne his development stagnated and doesn't seem particularly highly rated by Warne. From what I've seen I think he's a better player than Osborn and he's the kind of player that will look better and better the more interested you are in passing the ball around. I'd try to keep him for sure (but I'd also likely be playing him a fair bit) however for his own sake I think he should probably be looking elsewhere.

With the DM, I can't see us signing someone better than Ozoh in January. As such, I think it would be a backup option only in January, with a longer term signing in the summer. It may result in Thompson being surplus in the summer. We'll already have Adams, Goudmijn, Osborn, and potentially Harness for a 4231, so signing a backup DM (Jan) and 1st choice DM (summer), will nudge Thompson down to 7th choice in the middle.

I think Thompson could be a useful squad player with us for his entire career, but I don't think he'll ever be more.It's up to him if he's content with that, or if he wants to move somewhere like Mansfield or Rotherham and be a regular starter. As I mentioned above, I think he'll fall down the pecking order next summer and he may not get a choice as a result.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not sure why I forgot Yates is contracted until 2026. He's clearly out of Swansea's plans, so should be available for a low fee either in January or the summer.

Transfermarkt say Phillips is free next summer though. What's your source for 2 years?

BBC interview with Bulut where he says "Bulut added that any decision on Phillips' future will be dictated by Liverpool, with Phillips' contract running until 2026."

Full interview here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cd19d307l1ko#:~:text=Bulut added that any decision,Phillips' contract running until 2026.

Some people on here too attached to current players. Got to be more ruthless if we want to improve.

Fozzy - another 1 year deal but he needs to become a number 2.

Sonny Bradley - release

Curtis Nelson - release

Kane Wilson - 2/3 year deal.

Tom Barkhuizen - release in January if we can

Conor Washington - release in January if we can

James Collins - release in January if we can

Liam Thompson - release - he's limited and Kenzo shows what buying better players gives you.

Rohan Luthra - He's third choice. I think his pre-season mistake was a shocker and I would never have signed him but you need a third choice keeper

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Some people on here too attached to current players. Got to be more ruthless if we want to improve.

Fozzy - another 1 year deal but he needs to become a number 2.

Sonny Bradley - release

Curtis Nelson - release

Kane Wilson - 2/3 year deal.

Tom Barkhuizen - release in January if we can

Conor Washington - release in January if we can

James Collins - release in January if we can

Liam Thompson - release - he's limited and Kenzo shows what buying better players gives you.

Rohan Luthra - He's third choice. I think his pre-season mistake was a shocker and I would never have signed him but you need a third choice keeper

I would expect Nelson to be released 

8 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Most, if not all, seem to be missing us having Jake Rooney who, as well as being a RB and a CD, can also play DM.

👍🏼.    If he can get fit and stay fit he’ll be a hidden gem. He’s got presence on the pitch and he’s young. There’s quality there

Fozzy - another 1 year deal

Sonny Bradley - release

Curtis Nelson - another 1 year deal

Kane Wilson - 2 or 3 years 

Tom Barkhuizen - release 

Conor Washington - release 

James Collins - release sadly

Liam Thompson - another year or two