Ireland v England

uttoxram75

Lost interest when he bought average players on from Forest. But I’ll let him off and await to see what carnage the small section of English cavemen create in Dublin City centre on the news.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

That's why Irish fans are probably more antagonistic towards Rice - he played full internationals for Ireland, Grealish didn't.

Doesn’t make any difference to me. If you nail your colours to a particular nation, especially when you’re over 18, then you shouldn’t be allowed to change allegiance in my book.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Doesn’t make any difference to me. If you nail your colours to a particular nation, especially when you’re over 18, then you shouldn’t be allowed to change allegiance in my book.

That would be sensible, but the football authorities allow players to change countries before playing full competitive internationals, though I've never seen them explain why.

From the current Irish rugby team:

Rob Herring (South Africa), Finlay Bealham (Australia), Jeremy Loughman (USA), Joe McCarthy (USA), Jamison Gibson-Park (New Zealand), Joey Carbery (New Zealand), Bundee Aki (New Zealand), Ciarán Frawley (Australia), Mack Hansen (Australia) and James Lowe (New Zealand). There's probably even more this year. 

Let's be honest, my cousins are just salty because in this instance, the federation running the game hasn't got the vast resources of the Irish Rugby Football Union. Well, that and the fact they've always been a bit shoyte at footy anyway. Seems a lot of fuss over nothing to me, aided and abetted by a predictably divisive British media who have been stoking the nationalistic fires for all they're worth, though that's arguably the square root of FA nowadays. In any case, I doubt either Rice or Grealish will be regretting their decisions, though i suspect they well be getting ab bit of choice 'banter' on Twatter this morning.

As for the game, I thought we looked great in the first half and wanted to admire our own work too much in the second. I think the challenge for LC will be to get the defence sorted, as better teams will expose us, but going forward we looked seriously good at times, with some very notable absentees too.

Edited by Comrade 86

17 hours ago, Day said:

Then he scores and won’t celebrate. Weird.

I hate this modern thing of not celebrating goals. Well done Grealish later on. 

First half hour was good. Second goal was thing of beauty. At that point it looked as if we might get 6 or 7. Disappointed that didn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I hate this modern thing of not celebrating goals. Well done Grealish later on. 

First half hour was good. Second goal was thing of beauty. At that point it looked as if we might get 6 or 7. Disappointed that didn't happen. 

Grealish was lapping it up - not bothered at all.

I do love the little complex ironic breakdown of some sections of the media. 

The same people (and I mean the exact same people) who talk about Keir “Stalin” and usually go around saying things like “it’s political correctness” and “you can’t say anything anymore without someone being offended” are now massively offended that a man born in Birmingham doesn’t want to sing the national anthem and there’s not enough flags on show.

What a wonderful web they’ve tangled themselves up in. 

On 08/09/2024 at 06:44, Comrade 86 said:

From the current Irish rugby team:

Rob Herring (South Africa), Finlay Bealham (Australia), Jeremy Loughman (USA), Joe McCarthy (USA), Jamison Gibson-Park (New Zealand), Joey Carbery (New Zealand), Bundee Aki (New Zealand), Ciarán Frawley (Australia), Mack Hansen (Australia) and James Lowe (New Zealand). There's probably even more this year. 

Let's be honest, my cousins are just salty because in this instance, the federation running the game hasn't got the vast resources of the Irish Rugby Football Union. Well, that and the fact they've always been a bit shoyte at footy anyway. Seems a lot of fuss over nothing to me, aided and abetted by a predictably divisive British media who have been stoking the nationalistic fires for all they're worth, though that's arguably the square root of FA nowadays. In any case, I doubt either Rice or Grealish will be regretting their decisions, though i suspect they well be getting ab bit of choice 'banter' on Twatter this morning.

As for the game, I thought we looked great in the first half and wanted to admire our own work too much in the second. I think the challenge for LC will be to get the defence sorted, as better teams will expose us, but going forward we looked seriously good at times, with some very notable absentees too.

The rules in rugby are quite different though aren't they?..allowing all the Northern Hemisphere nations to bulk up their squads with players from the Southern Hemisphere playing in their leagues. Controversial really. As for the individuals themselves, Frawley and McCarthy, both have Irish parents and moved to Ireland when they were 3. Carbery has 2 Irish parents and Loughman moved to Ireland around  age 11. So I don't think any of those can really be compared to Rice or Grealish. I don't begrudge either of the latter two switching allegiance to be honest, both born and reared in England after all and it was the correct move for their careers. Ideally Rice would have made the decision before he played a senior game..but I am sure he is glad he did now. Incidentally I actually appreciated his non celebration of the goal.

Personally I would scrap the Granny rule in football...so players would at least have one parent from the country they represent.

The Ireland always being a bit shoyte at football observation is tragically fair, apart from the Charlton era I suppose and a few good players over the years. Mind you we have still won as many European Championships as England 😉 I will admit we are especially bad at the moment, I can't remember an Irish team as bad as this one and I remember losing 5-2 to Cyprus!

I hope Carsley is successful as England manager (moderately successful that is). I am sure he is mature enough to ignore the garbage in the media which seems to be more interested in his singing than his managerial talents.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

The rules in rugby are quite different though aren't they?..allowing all the Northern Hemisphere nations to bulk up their squads with players from the Southern Hemisphere playing in their leagues. Controversial really. As for the individuals themselves, Frawley and McCarthy, both have Irish parents and moved to Ireland when they were 3. Carbery has 2 Irish parents and Loughman moved to Ireland around  age 11. So I don't think any of those can really be compared to Rice or Grealish. I don't begrudge either of the latter two switching allegiance to be honest, both born and reared in England after all and it was the correct move for their careers. Ideally Rice would have made the decision before he played a senior game..but I am sure he is glad he did now. Incidentally I actually appreciated his non celebration of the goal.

Personally I would scrap the Granny rule in football...so players would at least have one parent from the country they represent.

The Ireland always being a bit shoyte at football observation is tragically fair, apart from the Charlton era I suppose and a few good players over the years. Mind you we have still won as many European Championships as England 😉 I will admit we are especially bad at the moment, I can't remember an Irish team as bad as this one and I remember losing 5-2 to Cyprus!

I hope Carsley is successful as England manager (moderately successful that is). I am sure he is mature enough to ignore the garbage in the media which seems to be more interested in his singing than his managerial talents.

The point I was making really was that it's a complete red herring and merely gives the utterly grim media hacks another reason to stoke the jingoistic followers from both nations. I think in that regard, we're absolutely in agreement.