Bristol City (H) - Match Thread

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

Not saying that we're anything like Arsenal, but they won titles singing '1-0 to the Arsenal'. 

On his first home showing £1.4m on JWZ will 'net' us far more than an equivalent spend on a striker. 

IMHO style and performances can come later, but money is tight atm.  Build from the back, be tough to beat, stay in the division (stability) and push on in coming seasons.  Saturday's performance showed me we're more than capable of that this season and it wasn't nearly as bad as 'Boring, Boring Arsenal'.

My main criticism of that as an idea is at a certain level of football it just stops working nowadays. If you can't look after the ball and are looking to just be hard to beat, more often than not you are going to get worn down. Football has changed significantly since that Arsenal team.

Luckily though based on Saturday's performance it looks like that isn't going to be our mindset.

16 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's actually nice to see us create goals from throw-ins this season, and not from the usual method of chucking them into the box as far as possible. I know a lot of fans (me included) used to get frustrated when one of our throw-ins in the opposition half would end up back with our keeper. If it's now a planned strategy, I welcome it.

There was a comedy moment near the start where elder tried to throw one down the line and didn't actually get it on the pitch at all.

Ref gave the throw back to Bristol....

But apart from that the throw ins were ok I thought.

21 hours ago, clough08 said:

Baffled as to why Palace loaned out Ozoh when Hughes is struggling every week in their midfield. He's not fast or strong enough to compete at top level whereas Ozoh certainly is.

Struggling every week seems an exaggeration though obviously Wharton is now rated higher. Hughes has made 30 or so appearances for Palace in each of the last two seasons and has obviously gained the confidence of 3 different Palace managers. He must have useful attributes as a player for this to have happened. When watching Palace ( not just highlights) the main issue for me is the number of risky free kicks Hughes gives away. Whoever agreed the Ozoh loan must have made a careful decision as to the merits of Ozoh and decided he would benefit from the experience the loan would give him.  

17 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Totally agree, but the problem being for Knight his best position in a more attacking role, he just doesn't get enough goals or assists.

Play him in a 433 and give him license to make runs into the box all day and I'd bet a significant amount he racks up 10+ over a season. 

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Play him in a 433 and give him license to make runs into the box all day and I'd bet a significant amount he racks up 10+ over a season. 

Personally id have to disagree with you on this one, i dont think hes got 10 goals a season in him. But its a good debate lol.

8 hours ago, brady1993 said:

On a different note, why managers persist on playing Knight as a DM baffles me.

Because he will do it, I reckon he would give it a good go between the sticks if you asked him to and still cover the most ground out of any player on the pitch. 

I feel for him in a way, 4-2-3-1 leaves no natural position for him in the team, he's not a DM nor is he a creative in the hole 10.

He's also  not a midfielder that can walk into a club and have the formation and plan to mould around him, yet get the formation right and allow him establish himself into that box to box role and he will be a key player for any team. 

1 hour ago, Day said:

Because he will do it, I reckon he would give it a good go between the sticks if you asked him to and still cover the most ground out of any player on the pitch. 

I feel for him in a way, 4-2-3-1 leaves no natural position for him in the team, he's not a DM nor is he a creative in the hole 10.

He's also  not a midfielder that can walk into a club and have the formation and plan to mould around him, yet get the formation right and allow him establish himself into that box to box role and he will be a key player for any team. 

Yeah that makes sense. He almost suffers from reliably being able to do a job no matter the position.

It's weird though in a sense for Bristol because Bird really doesn't have to play at 10 to be effective, so you are really tied into that formation unless you are pragmatically wedded to it. Like it just doesn't make sense to me to have those two in your midfield and settle on a 4231 unless you had an excellent 10 and you played them both as DMs.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Personally id have to disagree with you on this one, i dont think hes got 10 goals a season in him. But its a good debate lol.

In his first season for us he scored 6 in 31 appearances (only 20 of which were starts). When you look into it, it averages out at 0.3 goals per 90 minutes. Which is the rate Bryson was going at in 13/14. Like you obviously can't fully extrapolate that out but I do think it shows that he's got it in him to break double figures in the right system.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In his first season for us he scored 6 in 31 appearances (only 20 of which were starts). When you look into it, it averages out at 0.3 goals per 90 minutes. Which is the rate Bryson was going at in 13/14. Like you obviously can't fully extrapolate that out but I do think it shows that he's got it in him to break double figures in the right system.

Yes i see where your coming from i just dont think Knight had the finishing instinct of Bryson.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Yes i see where your coming from i just dont think Knight had the finishing instinct of Bryson.

Not even close. I’m still not sure exactly what type of midfielder Jason Knight is supposed to be. Certainly would rather have a Cashin or a Bird in my team. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Not even close. I’m still not sure exactly what type of midfielder Jason Knight is supposed to be. Certainly would rather have a Cashin or a Bird in my team. 

High energy, box-to-box. Which, unfortunately for him, doesn't exist in many modern systems. Things are much more rigid.

14 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Bluntly right now Ozoh would be a liability for Palace in the premiership. His positional sense, his tactical awareness, his decision making and concentration are just too poor right now to play at that level. And they are all more important than physical attributes at that level because the ball is always going to be faster.

He got man of the match for them when they played Man City last season.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think his standard in the future will be a lot higher than Crystal Palace. His first touch is hit and miss and he always looks like he is going to lose the ball, but then when he actually gets it under control, he is a bulldozer.

Apparently he started out as a striker, and I can kinda see why. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

High energy, box-to-box. Which, unfortunately for him, doesn't exist in many modern systems. Things are much more rigid.

I also think it’s clear what kind he is, but he doesn’t score enough goals as that kind of player, which is why I think he is often tried in other roles.

9 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions last season for Bristol so not far off the rate needed to get 10 a season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

7 goals and 4 assists in all competitions last season for Bristol so not far off the rate needed to get 10 a season.

4 goals in 46 league games for Bristol City last season. Plays all the time, but still way off the rate.