Derby Nightlife….. for the more mature chap

SKRam

Ok you wonderful movers, shakers and drinkers….

Being non native to Derby I’m asking for opinions of the nightlife especially for us over 50s. We want great dancing to 80s or older tunes. We did Liverpool a few weeks ago and the people, ale and pubs were superb but sadly let down by the music venues. 
Can anyone suggest where we are ‘guaranteed’ Spandau, Duran, Depechè, Human League etc etc if one exists at all. Need to book soon. Nottingham yes Nottingham is our alternative for when we are free for a Saturday bop…. And ale. I’m good with the ale venues as a CAMRA member and had some memorable sessions in the wonderful city. Appreciate comments. 🐏 🍺 🕺 

On 18/08/2024 at 20:55, SKRam said:

Being non native to Derby I’m asking for opinions of the nightlife especially for us over 50s. We want great dancing to 80s or older tunes. We did Liverpool a few weeks ago and the people, ale and pubs were superb but sadly let down by the music venues. 
Can anyone suggest where we are ‘guaranteed’ Spandau, Duran, Depechè, Human League etc etc if one exists at all. Need to book soon. Nottingham yes Nottingham is our alternative for when we are free for a Saturday bop…. And ale. I’m good with the ale venues as a CAMRA member and had some memorable sessions in the wonderful city. Appreciate comments. 🐏 🍺 🕺 

Fair play SK. A man who knows what he wants, and wants what he knows. I like that.

Probably zero use to you as most on here seem to hate London and Londoners, but if you and your pals are of an open mind, you should take a weekend trip to the Big Smoke. The bands you cite aren't really my bag, but the whole 80's / New Romantic scene is really popular and London caters to every taste and age group, so there are any number of venues that fit the brief. Have a look at Reflex, The Carwash, The Roxy, The Electric Ballroom, The Yard (Soho), Nomad.... Honestly, there's loads of clubs and bars that meet your brief where you can catch the tunes you love and have a proper wiggle on the dancefloor. You could even go full Laaaarndaaanar and do several in a night if you like and contrary to popular opinion, you'll be made to feel right at home in all of them. Hotels are pricey though so if you do ever feel the urge, you could book a hostel room for you all if none of you snore, or use Air BNB.

Edited by Comrade 86

On 18/08/2024 at 20:55, SKRam said:

Sounds like you’d enjoy seeing my band. We play a load of 80s, some 70s & 90s and some more recent (all good songs though). 80s stuff is Madness, Erasure, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Spandau, Lionel Richie, Human League, Aha, Queen.

We only go as far north as Lichfield, but we’re playing at the Horse & Jockey on 13/9 and Kings Head on 21/9, both in Lichfield. Beer at the H&J is decent, I think it’s a CAMRA pub.

Edited by Kinder

3 hours ago, Kinder said:

Sounds like you’d enjoy seeing my band. We play a load of 80s, some 70s & 90s and some more recent (all good songs though). 80s stuff is Madness, Erasure, George Michael, Depeche Mode, Spandau, Lionel Richie, Human League, Aha, Queen.

We only go as far north as Lichfield, but we’re playing at the Horse & Jockey on 13/9 and Kings Head on 21/9, both in Lichfield. Beer at the H&J is decent, I think it’s a CAMRA pub.

Have you any YouTube clips @Kinder

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fair play SK. A man who knows what he wants, and wants what he knows. I like that.

Probably zero use to you as most on here seem to hate London and Londoners, but if you and your pals are of an open mind, you should take a weekend trip to the Big Smoke. The bands you cite aren't really my bag, but the whole 80's / New Romantic scene is really popular and London caters to every taste and age group, so there are any number of venues that fit the brief. Have a look at Reflex, The Carwash, The Roxy, The Electric Ballroom, The Yard (Soho), Nomad.... Honestly, there's loads of clubs and bars that meet your brief where you can catch the tunes you love and have a proper wiggle on the dancefloor. You could even go full Laaaarndaaanar and do several in a night if you like and contrary to popular opinion, you'll be made to feel right at home in all of them. Hotels are pricey though so if you do ever feel the urge, you could book a hostel room for you all if none of you snore, or use Air BNB.

Never done London as a night out but you’ve given me the idea, I’ll word the mates see if they’re upfrit! Thanks again!! 

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

It's yonks since I've been to a disco in Lndn, but last time I did, after a works Christmas 'do' back in the noughties, I was kicked out of a club somewhere round Covent Garden area for allegedly "dancing in a menacing fashion", which was a first even for me.

32 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Never done London as a night out but you’ve given me the idea, I’ll word the mates see if they’re upfrit! Thanks again!! 

Most welcome bud. Be sure to check info for each club you fancy on the night you choose though. If you need any further advice or suggestions, feel free to DM me.

45 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's yonks since I've been to a disco in Lndn, but last time I did, after a works Christmas 'do' back in the noughties, I was kicked out of a club somewhere round Covent Garden area for allegedly "dancing in a menacing fashion", which was a first even for me.

Avoid Covent Garden like the plague!  Trust me on that! Why so many Rams go there rather than the hundreds of pubs serving decent ale and liquor, I have literally no idea and I used to live off Long Acre! 

FWIW, you should know that nights for discerning older clients, irrespective of location, will not tolerate folk intent on moshing to Gloria Gaynor. 

We have our limits! 😂

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I can see why

tenor.gif?itemid=3824110