Formation

48 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Honesly all our left backs are dodgy as s*** at this level, if we are going to play a 4 we have to sign a left back with pace who can get tight or we will be f***** down that side every week.

Wilson can play left back. I wouldn’t be against him on the left and Nyambe on the right for a back 4. But if we play a back four, then it means Warne isn’t happy with his squad, as he is in love with a back three.

Elder should be 'OK' at Championship level for a bottom half team, if his most recent seasons for Hull are anything to go by (and you ignore the season he was part of the Hull team that lost 8-0 to Wigan and let Kieran Dowell score a hattrick) . That's playing as an actual LB though. And you can't rely on him to be available for more than 2/3 of your games.

18 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Wilson and Osborn as wing backs. Ebou and Ozoh behind Kenzo. Yates and NML up top.

Not sure if Osborn will be played at LWB though.

You enjoy 0-0 games?

20 hours ago, rammieib said:

If we play with wing backs we won't score goals - simple as. Then I think defensive errors will cost us and we lose games 1-0.

We have no creativity in the current squad, and we don't have a prolific goal scorer. 

We've signed midfielders who are not 10 Goals/10 Assist players so far.

So 3 defenders, 2 wing backs, 2 or 3 centre mids - none of them are going to score goals to the level we need.

A switch to 4-2-3-1 will help as it will get an extra body up the pitch for me.

I like the look of some of the players that have come in - I don't yet like the look of how we will gel as a team together.

To me it seems like if we don't have 10s then playing a 4231 doesn't make much sense. I like our rwbs but we are lacking on the left potentially. In the absence of 10s I think utilising overlaps out wide in 3421 makes sense to me, although it does put pressure on yates/collins/new cf to be well positioned and clinical. I think our box to box cms suit this formation too, just needs a bit of time for the pairings to sync and fluidity to come perhaps

If the season were to start with the current squad available I'd currently go:

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson cashin 

Wilson Goodmijn Adams Osborn

Mendez-laing Yates Blackett-Taylor 

I'd be turning to the likes of Jackson, Ward, Elder, Thompson and Ozoh then to freshen up from the bench, after we've raced into a 3-0 lead withe our pacey counter attacks 👌

22 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I just can’t understand this obsession with 2 up top with the personnel we have available to us. 

Squad is build for a front 3. 

100%

Warne's 3421, with players currently at the club (in thrir best positions)...

1st 11: Vickers; Nelson, Bradley, Cashin; Wilson, Adams, Goudmijn, Elder; Jackson, Mendez-Laing; Yates

2nd 11: JThompson; Nyambe, Bardell, Forsyth; Ward, Ozoh, Osborn, Gill; Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor; DBrown

3rd 11: Evans; Rooney, Bartley, Cox; Perry, Fornah, LThompson, Moloney; Allen, Washington; Collins

It's clear there we need to strengthen.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Futurama Squinting GIF

On the wings

Aren't the 2 wide players in the midfield 4, wing backs? None of the 3 like the defensive part of that role and prefer being played wide in a front 3.

24 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Where would our 3 wingers, NML, CBT and Barks, fit into a 442? IMO, they don't. None of them is a #10 nor are they strikers. Sell?

Two wingers in the team one as a sub.

Rotate throughout the season as required.

Edited by cstand

It'll be interesting to see what kind of arrangement there is with Palace and Ozoh. Undoubtedly Warne has the final say and if Ozoh isn't right to start, then he wont; but I wouldn't be surprised if there is an expectation of him starting more games. So with Him, Ebou, and Kenzo there are 3 centre mids (assuming massively Osborn is out on the left), who can be reasonably expected to start more than not.

Ebou and Ozoh as a 'double pivot'? Can Kenzo play more advanced in an AMC type role? I've not seen him yet, so I dont know. We may have different tactics for home and away until we come across one that clicks.

Based purely on what I've seen of Warne I'm thinking 3.5.2 away, Kenzo a bit deeper with a definate midfield 3, to try to control the game. It worked at the fag end of the last campaign. Osborn, Ebou, Ozoh, Kenzo, Wilson with Yates and either Jackon or NML floating around with him up top.

and 3.4.3 at home. In which one of Ebou or Ozoh loses out and both NML and Jackson play either side of Yates. CBT and Barks are currently in the position to rotate with them.

Personal opinion? A double defensive midfield in front of a back 3 will make us too defensively minded, I can see Warne going for it though, especially if we are in the receiving end of a hammering early on. However make Osborn and Nyambe full backs in a 4, the double pivot will let them (especially Osborn) go forward. I think we have players and more of a squad depth for a 4.2.3.1

The squad has:

Full backs in Nyambe, Elder and Forsyth...if we play 4231 or 433

Wing Backs in Ward, Wilson and Osborn...if we play 352

Wingers in NML,CBT, Jackson and Barkhuizen...if we play 433 or 343.

But most of these players are restricted to the given formations and you can't play them all..so either 6 or 7 of these 10 will sit out every game!

Smacks of either, we can play any system or he hasn't got a clue!

Edited by valakari
Addition

On 25/07/2024 at 15:02, Carnero said:

We'll likely see a mixture of formations largely dependant on the opposition, sometimes a back 3/5 and sometimes a back 4 (just like last season).

I do think a back 4 suits most of our squad better (as it stands), other than Wilson & Ward really.

Last time we played florists - Cooper switched systems after 30 mins while Rooney stood there with his finger up his Jacksy and we lost the game . A decent manager should be able to alter the course of a game . To this end - I would like to see Warne on the touchline more . We have to kick off the season as a well-drilled outfit .