Academy Thread 2024/2025

Darren Robinson played 85 minutes of NI u21s game against England last night and defended stoutly with his teammates to secure a well deserved 0-0 draw. Liam Delap came on in the second half for England, blasted England's best chance of the game straight at the keeper, and was described by the commentators as "another product of the Manchester City Academy" 🙄

Well played Darren.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Darren Robinson played 85 minutes of NI u21s game against England last night and defended stoutly with his teammates to secure a well deserved 0-0 draw. Liam Delap came on in the second half for England, blasted England's best chance of the game straight at the keeper, and was described by the commentators as "another product of the Manchester City Academy" 🙄

Well played Darren.

Sorry, I'm laughing at the Delap comment. Well done, Robbo!

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Watford may be a short trip for you, it took me over 3 hours, 😟plus the team traveled down on the Friday.

Haha. But 90 minutes from Derby to St Pancras, then half an hour out to Watford Junction. Obviously it's a one-off and doesn't matter that the team travelled down on Friday. If Warne had wanted it to happen it would have been straightforward to make it happen. I'm saying I'm  disappointed he won't have even thought of it, and it's part of the lack of opportunity for academy players that has been well documented.

46 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Haha. But 90 minutes from Derby to St Pancras, then half an hour out to Watford Junction. Obviously it's a one-off and doesn't matter that the team travelled down on Friday. If Warne had wanted it to happen it would have been straightforward to make it happen. I'm saying I'm  disappointed he won't have even thought of it, and it's part of the lack of opportunity for academy players that has been well documented.

And if he had travelled and needed to come on as a sub and picked up a injury,  it would be another stick to beat Warne with. 

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

But 90 minutes from Derby to St Pancras, then half an hour out to Watford Junction. Obviously it's a one-off and doesn't matter that the team travelled down on Friday. If Warne had wanted it to happen it would have been straightforward to make it happen. I'm saying I'm  disappointed he won't have even thought of it, and it's part of the lack of opportunity for academy players that has been well documented.

Bright young star that he is, he's 17. Legally speaking, he's still a child. He's also tiny. Irrespective, how often does a player in any age group get asked to play in 2 games on consecutive days anyway?

Zero chance of him starting for the men's team (he did not start for the U21s game) and almost no more chance of him getting even a few minutes either.

And all this before we even consider your Friday night public transport suggestions, which I doubt would please many of us parents were it our kid in question. 

As it stands, he's just signed his first pro contract with the club so I'd take that at a fairly solid indicator that he and his folks are more than happy with the way things are progressing. What I don't see is any evidence that he's being held back, or that his progress is being stunted in any way, shape or form. The club is bringing him along nicely, giving him game time outside his U18 peer group and he's drawing plaudits and envious glances, both domestically and from a wider international audience too. What's not to like?