Kenzo Goudmijn

Eoghan1884

22 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Has Yates scored 23 league goals in 2 seasons at championship level in by all accounts quite poor sides? 1 in 4 isn’t awful. 

Dembele is inconsistent hence being sent to league 1 on loan despite once being hailed as a wonder kid. I’ll be interested to see how it all comes together. 

He’s had one decent season at Championship level - 14 goals I think. If he can replicate that output here then I’ll be very happy, given our mid table target. But a lot of players have one good season and then never perform again, Nick Blackman a case in point. Contary to others, I think opposition fans opinion does hold some weight - and Swansea fans seem to universally think Yates is a donkey.

Think last season was Dembele’s first real season of consistent first team football. Sometimes players need that to unlock their potential - I think he’s on the up, and now is the perfect time to sign him. 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s had one decent season at Championship level - 14 goals I think. If he can replicate that output here then I’ll be very happy, given our mid table target. But a lot of players have one good season and then never perform again, Nick Blackman a case in point. Contary to others, I think opposition fans opinion does hold some weight - and Swansea fans seem to universally think Yates is a donkey.

Think last season was Dembele’s first real season of consistent first team football. Sometimes players need that to unlock their potential - I think he’s on the up, and now is the perfect time to sign him. 

We are in the space of every signing being a gamble, but each signing is there own different type of gamble. 

We simply aren’t in the market for a striker with a proven track record at this level. Unless you’re one of the parachute payment clubs, it’s very unlikely that you are. It’s not to say you won’t hit on one, but there’s simply not a proven striker that comes to mind that you know full well will be affordable and will 100% be fit and score goals next season. Yates is as good as we are going to get and people have overlooked that in the last four years, he’s pretty much been available for every single game.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We are in the space of every signing being a gamble, but each signing is there own different type of gamble. 

We simply aren’t in the market for a striker with a proven track record at this level. Unless you’re one of the parachute payment clubs, it’s very unlikely that you are. It’s not to say you won’t hit on one, but there’s simply not a proven striker that comes to mind that you know full well will be affordable and will 100% be fit and score goals next season. Yates is as good as we are going to get and people have overlooked that in the last four years, he’s pretty much been available for every single game.

Of course, and I’m certainly not saying that Yates is guaranteed to be a failure here. I’m just a bit concerned given his reputation at Swansea, and the fact he’ll likely be coming in to be our main striker.

I appreciate proven Championship strikers are out of our budget, but I’m a little disappointing we’ve not thought a blittle more out the box and looked at younger up and coming players from the lower leagues / abroad. Also big gambles like you say, but the sort of player who could come in and surprise everyone tearing the league up. It’s very unlikely Yates/Jackson will do that given their prior records at this level.

We are no nearer to knowing who is joining us , let alone who the main striker will be.   

I will wait until the window shuts before making any judgement on any player ( even tough we will have very little Rams playing evidence to go on at that point ) 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Sometimes you have to grow your own, rather than buy in. I do not rule out the possibility that Dajaune Brown will be a star striker in the Championship next season. He's powerful, young, fast, skillful and has a keen eye for goal. I want him to be give a decent chance.

30 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

We are no nearer to knowing who is joining us , let alone who the main striker will be.   

I will wait until the window shuts before making any judgement on any player ( even tough we will have very little Rams playing evidence to go on at that point ) 

Could even wait till they’ve played a dozen or so games in a Derby shirt before judging them.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sometimes you have to grow your own, rather than buy in. I do not rule out the possibility that Dajaune Brown will be a star striker in the Championship next season. He's powerful, young, fast, skillful and has a keen eye for goal. I want him to be give a decent chance.

Brown still needs a loan in league 1 to progress his potential. Right now he would be 4th choice .

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Of course, and I’m certainly not saying that Yates is guaranteed to be a failure here. I’m just a bit concerned given his reputation at Swansea, and the fact he’ll likely be coming in to be our main striker.

I appreciate proven Championship strikers are out of our budget, but I’m a little disappointing we’ve not thought a blittle more out the box and looked at younger up and coming players from the lower leagues / abroad. Also big gambles like you say, but the sort of player who could come in and surprise everyone tearing the league up. It’s very unlikely Yates/Jackson will do that given their prior records at this level.

I said previously, Yates has a very good record - 74 goal involvements in the past four years, three club top goalscorer awards and two player of the year awards. 

In terms of proven entities, he is beyond my expectations for what I was anticipating. In terms of younger and coming players from lower leagues, looking at the data from last season, realistically there are only three who fit that bill: Niall Ennis, Ali Al-Hamadi & Sam Nombe. All three combined scored the same amount as Yates did, despite Swansea fans not being his biggest fan. Al-Hamadi, in fairness, was a winter singing and did well - but the other two scored 27 between them in League One and managed just four in the Championship. 

After watching League One last season, I didn't see many strikers who I thought would cut it in the Championship. Joe Taylor, possibly, but on loan from Luton. We could obviously look abroad, four of the top 10 goalscorers in the Championship came from abroad - albeit not on the cheap, bar Summerville. 

Summerville - Den Haag (Dutch) - £1m fee
Latte Lathe - Atalanta (Italy) - £4.2m fee
Haji Wright - Antlayaspor (Turkey) - £7.7m fee
Josh Sargent - Werder Breman (German) - £8m fee

31 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Brown still needs a loan in league 1 to progress his potential. Right now he would be 4th choice .

4th choice striker when you only have one senior pro on the books is tough going. 

In fairness, Warne could play him and build up his minutes/reputation in the game and selfishly could look to profit on him. When you consider we turned Luke Plange into £1.5m profit on the back of one half-decent month then it really doesn't take much. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

4th choice striker when you only have one senior pro on the books is tough going. 

In fairness, Warne could play him and build up his minutes/reputation in the game and selfishly could look to profit on him. When you consider we turned Luke Plange into £1.5m profit on the back of one half-decent month then it really doesn't take much. 

He will be 4th choice by time we sign 2 more strikers . I would have no issue giving him time off the bench either but another loan seems more effective in short term

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Do you value Blackpool fans opinions on him?

6 hours ago, Magicman said:

He will be 4th choice by time we sign 2 more strikers . I would have no issue giving him time off the bench either but another loan seems more effective in short term

Not every player needs multiple loans up the pyramid to be ready. Everyone is different. This summer will be big for him, let's see if he can show he what he can do. I know, for me, I'd be wanting him on the pitch over Washington already, but let's see if he can show more than that.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes, though slightly less so as it’s more historical. Hopefully we get the players Blackpool fans saw, rather than the one Swansea fans did!

I suspect he’s the same player but the systems played are different - it was only 5 goals difference between the two seasons mind.