new fixture list 2024/25

11 hours ago, Foreveram said:

This says different though.

IMG_0266.png

1) Thats retrospective - thats before your team was on Sky TV 24 times a season. (Unless you are Leeds LOL)

2) That's before fixture times were moved all over the place.

3) Comparing yourself (as in the stats you gave me) to leagues where there are four more teams, 12 more games - its misleading stats. I agree our lower leagues are more heavily supported than equivalents abroad, but often depends which teams are in those leagues at that point in time. Leeds in Champ, Luton in Prem - I bet the Premier League total fans number was down last season compared to the year before etc

It won't stop me going to home games of course, but certain away games - I will now be more selective if I know I can watch it on Sky, especially if Sky can offer HD, Pause, multi camera angles etc (Red button used to be poor coverage)

However, this is not about the dedicated fan, this is the half hearted fan who goes to 3-5 games a year. What will they now do?

Edited by rammieib

It's hard to see the new Sky coverage NOT having a negative effect on attendance figures. The SBC was the 2nd highest for attendances in Europe last season, beating La Liga, Bundesliga, Eredivisie, Serie A and Ligue 1. Obviously the PL was top.

I have my RamsTV subscription to watch all League games but still got to 8 home games last season. Hoping to get over for as many this season.

Once the fixtures are out, I'll be matching them against international weekends and commitments here and crossing those games out and then booking flights, hotels, trains from Brum to Derby and looking to get to as many as money will allow. It might even be that a Tuesday game is, financially, more attractive than a weekend game. We'll see. 

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

1) Thats retrospective - thats before your team was on Sky TV 24 times a season. (Unless you are Leeds LOL)

2) That's before fixture times were moved all over the place.

3) Comparing yourself (as in the stats you gave me) to leagues where there are four more teams, 12 more games - its misleading stats. I agree our lower leagues are more heavily supported than equivalents abroad, but often depends which teams are in those leagues at that point in time. Leeds in Champ, Luton in Prem - I bet the Premier League total fans number was down last season compared to the year before etc

It won't stop me going to home games of course, but certain away games - I will now be more selective if I know I can watch it on Sky, especially if Sky can offer HD, Pause, multi camera angles etc (Red button used to be poor coverage)

However, this is not about the dedicated fan, this is the half hearted fan who goes to 3-5 games a year. What will they now do?

I am certainly not going to come on here to sell SKY tv to anyone but the facts are there, attendances have gone up massively since it was introduced.

I remember when it was first introduced and people said clubs would be letting fans in for free because no one would pay to go to a game when they could watch it on television, yeah right.

Some people won’t go and some people might watch on SKY and think, you know what, I want to be part of that atmosphere.

Maybe we can continue the debate in the new year.

Further to @Foreveram's post above, attendances are way higher now than they were before Sky. There's loads I don't like about Sky but you can't argue with facts.

Take the below for example. Division 1 average attendance in 1991/92, the year before the premier league (and sky) came and ruined attendance, compared to this past season in the Premier League

image.thumb.png.e858e94fa8b5cb094113f7904e8577fd.png

1 hour ago, Sweetness34 said:

Further to @Foreveram's post above, attendances are way higher now than they were before Sky. There's loads I don't like about Sky but you can't argue with facts.

Take the below for example. Division 1 average attendance in 1991/92, the year before the premier league (and sky) came and ruined attendance, compared to this past season in the Premier League

image.thumb.png.e858e94fa8b5cb094113f7904e8577fd.png

I'd bet the increase in crowds is largely due to post-hillsborough all seater (new) stadiums and much improved facilities and general atmosphere at matches.

SKY can still have a negative effect on crowds, even if the crowds are still growing.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I'd bet the increase in crowds is largely due to post-hillsborough all seater (new) stadiums and much improved facilities and general atmosphere at matches.

SKY can still have a negative effect on crowds, even if the crowds are still growing.

The new stadiums such as our own will of course increase the attendance for clubs like Derby. It doesn't explain why only three clubs in the entire first division had an average attendance of above 30k.

Sky has ruined lots of things. Having fixtures all over the weekend, away fans having to travel hundreds of miles on Friday nights or Sunday tea time, moving fixtures when people already have arranged travel etc

There are loads of things I don't like about Sky. But I won't say they're ruining attendance at matches when the evidence suggests otherwise

1 hour ago, Sweetness34 said:

The new stadiums such as our own will of course increase the attendance for clubs like Derby. It doesn't explain why only three clubs in the entire first division had an average attendance of above 30k.

Sky has ruined lots of things. Having fixtures all over the weekend, away fans having to travel hundreds of miles on Friday nights or Sunday tea time, moving fixtures when people already have arranged travel etc

There are loads of things I don't like about Sky. But I won't say they're ruining attendance at matches when the evidence suggests otherwise

Football stadiums used to be horrible grim cages full of drunk & violent fans. Is it not reasonable to think that attendanaces would increase once that was all changed and they became a much more welcoming place for families etc?.

Anyway, we'll never know whether crowd increases were in spite of, or because of the involvement of SKY (Correlation or causation) but it's really not a hill I'm prepared to die on, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Wolfie

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Football stadiums used to be horrible grim cages full of drunk & violent fans. Is it not reasonable to think that attendanaces would increase once that was all changed and they became a much more welcoming place for families etc?.

Anyway, we'll never know whether crowd increases were in spite of, or because of the involvement of SKY (Correlation or causation) but it's really not a hill I'm prepared to die on, so I'll leave it at that.

My first game wasn’t until 1992 when I was 6 years old so I might be remembering it with rose tinted glasses mate

Sky and its money has done an awful lot of good for football. It's allowed clubs to invest in their facilities, making stadiums much safer and the whole matchday experience better for the vast majority. 

It's opened up access to games that supporters simply would not be able to see otherwise. 

It's made Sundays far less boring. 

It's pumped a lot of money into helping combat racism and tackle inequality in the game. 

Yes they muck around with fixture lists and that can be annoying. 

And as all the stats show, people who want to go to football still go to football.

But for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives. 

If you want accuse any organisation of ruining football, take a look at the Premier League. 

At least SKY are giving fans sufficient notice of when matches will be played for much of the season. It's only March and April when there'll only be around 4 weeks notice. A great improvement on previous seasons IMO, especially for those requiring flights/hotels etc.

On 03/06/2024 at 09:02, FindernRam said:

Its deliberate to avoid fans having to travel too far. There are apparently lots of considerations that go into the fixture list. Its not just "computer says!". I don't think clubs have too much say in it but can make requests.

Is that why trips to the likes of Portsmouth and Plymouth tend to be midweek?

On 04/06/2024 at 06:29, Kernow said:

That’s true, a day out in Plymouth to watch Derby would be lovely though. Better than walking through Central Park in the bitter cold then surrounded by Plymouth fans who insisted the dive was a “nailed on pen”

For most teams that aren’t Derby County a dive usually is a penalty. It doesn’t even need to be in the penalty area either!

I’ll get me coat!

8 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Sky and its money has done an awful lot of good for football. It's allowed clubs to invest in their facilities, making stadiums much safer and the whole matchday experience better for the vast majority. 

It's opened up access to games that supporters simply would not be able to see otherwise. 

It's made Sundays far less boring. 

It's pumped a lot of money into helping combat racism and tackle inequality in the game. 

Yes they muck around with fixture lists and that can be annoying. 

And as all the stats show, people who want to go to football still go to football.

But for me the benefits far outweigh the negatives. 

If you want accuse any organisation of ruining football, take a look at the Premier League. 

Load of tosh I'm afraid.

Pretty much every club outside of the Premier League, and even most in that division, are operating at huge losses.

The matchday experience for me is at an all time low. I literally get to the ground for kick off and am gone as soon as the final whistle blows, I've never felt so disconnected from football, and we are not subjected to VAR thank goodness!

I couldn't care less about watching a match on a Sunday afternoon, Saturday night or Monday evening, I'd rather the fans of the teams involved in them matches were allowed to enjoy the Saturday 3pm feeling.

For me, there are next to no positives and lots of negatives from Sky and the Premier League.

I think TV coverage actually increases demand to watch your team.

- More access to watch the team = Higher investment = more likely to want to visit a match.

- I could in theory watch every single game last season on Rams TV with some fooling around but I still prefer to attend 10/10.

- The TV coverage for teams such as Man Utd and Liverpool who are barely off TV only seems to increase their demand for tickets.

- Going to a game is probably 50% about it watching a match and 50% match day experience which you can't replicate on TV.

Having said all this, playing on a Thursday night absolutely sucks.

17 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Load of tosh I'm afraid.

Pretty much every club outside of the Premier League, and even most in that division, are operating at huge losses.

The matchday experience for me is at an all time low. I literally get to the ground for kick off and am gone as soon as the final whistle blows, I've never felt so disconnected from football, and we are not subjected to VAR thank goodness!

I couldn't care less about watching a match on a Sunday afternoon, Saturday night or Monday evening, I'd rather the fans of the teams involved in them matches were allowed to enjoy the Saturday 3pm feeling.

For me, there are next to no positives and lots of negatives from Sky and the Premier League.

What's that got to do with Sky TV? We've been a L1 club for 2 years, Sky have barely looked at us and nearly all games have been 3pm ko.

I suggest you turn your fire elsewhere if you're not enjoying watching Derby. 

3 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

What's that got to do with Sky TV? We've been a L1 club for 2 years, Sky have barely looked at us and nearly all games have been 3pm ko.

I suggest you turn your fire elsewhere if you're not enjoying watching Derby. 

To be fair, I'd assume @G STAR RAM was referring historically to the overall picture, not just the last two years.

Sky have been around since football was invented in 1992, remember!  🙄

There's no wonder the demographic of fans attending particularly  away games is changing, with lots of retired people who can change calendars around to fit in the travel to fixtures whenever.

It's much harder for people who work.

Also, surely this has got to affect families, who may be thinking twice about buying season tickets for kids when so many of the matches will be on school nights?