Love/Hate TV series endings (more than one season)

Inspired by the watchable telly thread and Love/Hate comments, I thought I'd start a Love/Hate TV series endings.

What series do you think nailed it, and which copped out or just screwed the pooch to coin an American phrase.

It must have been at least two seasons, and nothing that is still going on, as we obviously haven't seen the end yet. Although I think we can all agree that Line of Duty if it ever ends will suck, but it started sucking quite a while ago.

Loved it.

Love/Hate - Those trainers!

Top Boy - May be my favourite ending ever. Loved the way that they made the leads less and less likeable.

The Sopranos -  I know a lot of people hated this, but I thought they got it about right. It was always going to be super tough.

Only Fools and Horses - Nuff said.

Black Adder - The greatest ever climax to a comedy series, to have you blubbing.

Hated it.

Gomorrah - the whole final season left me disappointed.

Spiral - probably didn't hate it, and Mrs Badger actually loved it, but too happy for an old cynic like me. More people needed to die.

Happy Valley - Cop out and cliched end to a great series.

Fauda - Just a weird end to a brilliant series.

Homeland—After all the hype, I was expecting something insanely good, but it turned out to be utterly predictable and boring.

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Inspired by the watchable telly thread and Love/Hate comments, I thought I'd start a Love/Hate TV series endings.

What series do you think nailed it, and which copped out or just screwed the pooch to coin an American phrase.

It must have been at least two seasons, and nothing that is still going on, as we obviously haven't seen the end yet. Although I think we can all agree that Line of Duty if it ever ends will suck, but it started sucking quite a while ago.

Loved it.

Love/Hate - Those trainers!

Top Boy - May be my favourite ending ever. Loved the way that they made the leads less and less likeable.

The Sopranos -  I know a lot of people hated this, but I thought they got it about right. It was always going to be super tough.

Only Fools and Horses - Nuff said.

Black Adder - The greatest ever climax to a comedy series, to have you blubbing.

Hated it.

Gomorrah - the whole final season left me disappointed.

Spiral - probably didn't hate it, and Mrs Badger actually loved it, but too happy for an old cynic like me. More people needed to die.

Happy Valley - Cop out and cliched end to a great series.

Fauda - Just a weird end to a brilliant series.

Homeland—After all the hype, I was expecting something insanely good, but it turned out to be utterly predictable and boring.

Thought Top Boy just got ridiculous by the end tbh, but the final scene with Dushane and Sully was very good.

OFAH would have been perfect if it ended with Time On Our Hands.

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

LOST.

Hated it so much it has put me off watching so many series since out of fear that they’ll end up crap as well. 
Now I often don’t start watching something until after it’s finished. 

I came on here to say 'Lost'. The yardstick by which all other disappointing endings must be judged. Still annoyed I wasted so much time on something we all worked out in the first 5 minutes  

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

LOST.

Hated it so much it has put me off watching so many series since out of fear that they’ll end up crap as well. 
Now I often don’t start watching something until after it’s finished. 

Mr Echo.  Why ?????

Great

Spiral - for me, it was a show that got better and better and didn't stop until the pretty realistic conclusion.

The Wire - again,  a highly plausible conclusion to a magnificent programme.

Poor

Dexter - not just the ending, but most of the last series was a let down, which was a shame because everything that went before it was superb.

The Office - too cosy and sentimental for a sharply cynical programme.

On 28/05/2024 at 14:57, Crewton said:

Great

Spiral - for me, it was a show that got better and better and didn't stop until the pretty realistic conclusion.

The Wire - again,  a highly plausible conclusion to a magnificent programme.

Poor

Dexter - not just the ending, but most of the last series was a let down, which was a shame because everything that went before it was superb.

I 100% agree that Spiral got better. It is in my top 10 of all time. I just think the end was too perfect and almost Americanised.

I didn't hate it, in all honesty, I just don't think it was in keeping with the gritty and realistic feel to the programme. Everybody dying in a hail of bullets was called for imho.

Love:

Black Adder Goes Forth - final scene, the jokes wern't funny anymore! After the credits rolled and the TV moved on to the next whatever it paused for a good few (poignant) seconds - I remember thinking only the BBC would do that.

Love/Hate:

The Soprannos - I need closure... was Tony whacked, the last thing he sees is his daughter Meadow walk into the diner after struggling to parallel park? Although, it was class to end it like that.

Hate:

The Prisoner - WTF? Was really hopeing to find out what it was all about... jeez, don't take drugs kids!

On 28/05/2024 at 07:57, Crewton said:

The Office UK? I thought that was the perfect ending that didn't overdo the sentimentality despite a happy resolution.

The US version on the other hand...

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I didn't hate it, in all honesty, I just don't think it was in keeping with the gritty and realistic feel to the programme. Everybody dying in a hail of bullets was called for imho.

You got that with Gomorrah and hated that too! You're a very hard man to please 😂

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

You got that with Gomorrah and hated that too! You're a very hard man to please 😂

Don't make me start using emojis!

I was joking about the hail of bullets; it was the looking like they were in love strolling into the sunset bit that I didn't like. It just didn't seem to fit.

As for Gomorrah, it was the entire final series. I cannot remember too much about the final episode tbh, but I seemed to remember it was a bit of a let down.

51 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Don't make me start using emojis!

I was joking about the hail of bullets; it was the looking like they were in love strolling into the sunset bit that I didn't like. It just didn't seem to fit.

As for Gomorrah, it was the entire final series. I cannot remember too much about the final episode tbh, but I seemed to remember it was a bit of a let down.

Ha! Not the emojis!!! 

Yeah, I hear you. It's so hard though, when you've produced 4 series or whatever (Gomorrah), then you're into the 5th and last and folk are dying for it to top everything that went before. I didn't think it fell off that much to be fair and it was one of those shows that could really only end one way. I actually didn't want it to end the way it did, but I knew it would anyway. I think I'm quite sentimental about shows I really like though. I can cut a lot of slack for a loss of form if the balance has been really good.

Thanks for the heads up on The OA btw. Had never heard of it. Watched the first series and despite a slightly meandering mid-section, it started and finished with a boom. Watched the first episode of season 2 early this morning and am now thoroughly intrigued! 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ha! Not the emojis!!! 

Yeah, I hear you. It's so hard though, when you've produced 4 series or whatever (Gomorrah), then you're into the 5th and last and folk are dying for it to top everything that went before. I didn't think it fell off that much to be fair and it was one of those shows that could really only end one way. I actually didn't want it to end the way it did, but I knew it would anyway. I think I'm quite sentimental about shows I really like though. I can cut a lot of slack for a loss of form if the balance has been really good.

Thanks for the heads up on The OA btw. Had never heard of it. Watched the first series and despite a slightly meandering mid-section, it started and finished with a boom. Watched the first episode of season 2 early this morning and am now thoroughly intrigued! 

I think it was @Eddie who mentioned The OA. I watched the first series and thought it was ok, but never bothered with the second.

Best

Hannibal - Underrated show, fantastic way to end three seasons of magic.

Worst

Game of Thrones - Throw lots of CGI at the screen and nobody will notice how awful our script is. Actually ruined the best TV show of all time in my view. The last season killed it dead. Nobody was interested in talking about it anymore after years of being near the top of TV conversation, that's how terrible it was.

Mindhunter - Beautifully written crime thriller, ended on a cliffhanger. When Netflix actually made good shows.

7 minutes ago, SSD said:

Game of Thrones - Throw lots of CGI at the screen and nobody will notice how awful our script is. Actually ruined the best TV show of all time in my view. The last season killed it dead. Nobody was interested in talking about it anymore after years of being near the top of TV conversation, that's how terrible it was.

This. It probably would have been right up there had it not been for a horribly rushed ending. And now it's barely talked about.

All because the writers wanted to get it out the way so they could move onto another project. Shambles.