UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

The defence hasn't been great for a while which is why I think Southgate used to pick 2 dms. Usually Henderson+1.

Now we only seem to play 1 DM and he's venturing further forward the defence is increasingly exposed.

We also don't have a strong replacement for the 34 year old Kyle Walker.....

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

He only appeared in 16 Premier League games last season (according to Wiki) which is hardly key - I saw him as a bit part player. His average appearances over their 4 title-winning seasons is 18.75. I think he has the potential to be a great defender and what we need, but at club level he doesn't play enough - even though it's normally been more than Maguire!

Tomori only played 26 league games this year.

Out of interest, how many of them games did you see?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Tomori only played 26 league games this year.

Out of interest, how many of them games did you see?

Do you have a script that you run daily to find Tomori posts to reply the same thing to?

iceland vs england was terrible. It wasnt our strongest line up but we should of atleast looked a threat. it was crying out for a grealish type player to take them on or atleast fall over in a decent spot for a trippier freekick haha.  Im yet to see foden do anything in an england shirt

I’m fairly hopeful of England winning this tournament, no other nation is really standing out at the moment , forget the Iceland game , no player before a tournament is going to go full throttle , if Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Alexander Arnold , Saka etc are on their game we are going to take some stopping , let’s see how it all pans out before we write us off

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Pickford

Walker   Stones   Guehi

Rice

Trent  Bellingham  Foden   Saka

Palmer

Kane

I'd have that formation against Serbia but Gallagher/Mainoo for Palmer with Foden just behind Kane. It's going to be a physical battle against Serbia we probably need that extra midfielder at least for the first 60 mins. Iceland game showed Foden and Palmer were too similar and we're nullifying each other's threat. 

Looks like Safegate is starting Trent Alexander-Arnold in midfield in the first game. 

Firstly, when will we stop leaking and publishing teams in the press in advance?

Secondly, TAA is a s**** midfielder. Stop shoe-horning players in. 

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Looks like Safegate is starting Trent Alexander-Arnold in midfield in the first game. 

Firstly, when will we stop leaking and publishing teams in the press in advance?

I can understand the logic with Trent in the midfield for this first game. Serbia is a tough opponent with Mitrovic and Vlahovic playing high up in a 3-5-2 formation they will keep our back line very occupied and with Kostic as their LWB playing quite high wanting to whip balls in for them that will be their main threat in general play so doubling up on the wings out of possession will be key. It's going to be one of those tight games for at least the first 60 mins. 

I'm not quite sure why there needs to be a dig at Southgate for being 'safe'. Playing safe won the Euro's in 2016 for Portugal, Argentina played very pragmatically and at times very ugly football at the World Cup.

2 hours ago, eddielewis said:

I can understand the logic with Trent in the midfield for this first game. Serbia is a tough opponent with Mitrovic and Vlahovic playing high up in a 3-5-2 formation they will keep our back line very occupied and with Kostic as their LWB playing quite high wanting to whip balls in for them that will be their main threat in general play so doubling up on the wings out of possession will be key. It's going to be one of those tight games for at least the first 60 mins. 

I'm not quite sure why there needs to be a dig at Southgate for being 'safe'. Playing safe won the Euro's in 2016 for Portugal, Argentina played very pragmatically and at times very ugly football at the World Cup.

Coz not making a sub until injury time cost us the euros. 

On 10/06/2024 at 08:46, Carnero said:

Pickford

Walker   Stones   Guehi

Rice

Trent  Bellingham  Foden   Saka

Palmer

Kane

That's a ballsy lineup. Southgate has achieved his tournament runs mainly around 4231 with both of the midfield 2 being quite conservative - and sometimes one of the 3.

To go from 6 defensive players to 4 is quite something - particularly when the 4 is not settled.

Not saying that he won't do it mind, but it's a very different philosophy!

On 11/06/2024 at 07:09, Srg said:

😴

14 hours ago, Srg said:

Coz not making a sub until injury time cost us the euros. 

If you mean when he made the sub for Grealish within extra time and then Rashford/Sancho for the penalties that's truly nit-picking of what was a very tight final like very much most of them are. We lost on penalties which is a toss up that's what cost us. 

I find it baffling that fans can be super critical of Southgate when he's done above and beyond what we expected of him when he originally took over after the mess of Euro 2016 with Hodgson and low point of Allardyce. 

2 hours ago, eddielewis said:

If you mean when he made the sub for Grealish within extra time and then Rashford/Sancho for the penalties that's truly nit-picking of what was a very tight final like very much most of them are. We lost on penalties which is a toss up that's what cost us. 

I find it baffling that fans can be super critical of Southgate when he's done above and beyond what we expected of him when he originally took over after the mess of Euro 2016 with Hodgson and low point of Allardyce. 

I think he's been a victim of his own success tbh. I do think he's been a bit too defensive-minded at key moments but i had 0 complaints against France at the world cup. For 75 minutes we dominated the finalists and should have won the game. This tournament strikes me as a bit different in the sense we have to be attacking from the off. I see a QF exit personally and Southgate leaving under a bit of a cloud.

4 hours ago, eddielewis said:

Are you for real?

These people criticising our most successful manager in the last 60 years would have won the World Cup and the Euros had they been in charge.

Alot of the critics are the same people that would have had Derby winning the league with 138 points and no goals conceded last season too.

Championship Manager and Sky have so much to answer for...

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are you for real?

These people criticising our most successful manager in the last 60 years would have won the World Cup and the Euros had they been in charge.

Alot of the critics are the same people that would have had Derby winning the league with 138 points and no goals conceded last season too.

Championship Manager and Sky have so much to answer for...

Critics need strapping to a chair and forced to watch the Keegan days which should humble them clockwork orange no GIF