New shirt sponsor

On 22/07/2024 at 18:06, Stive Pesley said:

Not the shirt sponsor but disappointing that we have to partner with crummy betting companies

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/07/club-partner-spreadex-confirmed-as-club-partner-for-202425

Money talks though eh

Very disappointing. The gambling disease will never be eradicated due to greed within the sports industry. 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Very disappointing. The gambling disease will never be eradicated due to greed within the sports industry. 

It really stings. City clubs across the country used to be sponsored by local industrial giants or maybe a global brand making something ubiquitous. why is it that only the tackiest of industries have the money ..  I sometimes wonder if it’s our fault.? Trainers for 500 Quid. .. made in SE Asia on an automated production line, out of plastic for less than a tenner. 
We all seem to know the price of everything but the value of nothing

(Woodford reserve induced grumpy rant - sorry lads ) 

54 minutes ago, europia said:

If people weren't greedy and trying to win money,  the gambling disease wouldn't exist.

I'll take the money from any business that wants to give it to our club. 

On 26/07/2024 at 22:51, ossieram said:

If people weren't greedy and trying to win money,  the gambling disease wouldn't exist.

I'll take the money from any business that wants to give it to our club. 

I kind of agree with you but, for some people, gambling is an addiction that it may not be easy to break out of. Although I never have, not even on the Grand National, a lot of folk (including some on this forum) enjoy the occasional harmless flutter but for some it’s just the first step on the slippery slope.

Having said that, I don’t think seeing a betting company appearing on a football shirt is going to tempt anyone to make their first bet or cause an addict to place a bet. It’s just brand recognition so that if you’re already thinking of making a wager, you might choose this company over another. TV advertising (rather than sponsorship), as they are also designed to make gambling sound like fun that you should try, is different and more of any issue.

I don’t know what the answer to the problem is. Maybe they should allow sponsorship (as in just the name of the company without any kind of tempting tag line) but ban TV adverts etc.