24/25 Sky TV Coverage

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't lots of Championship games used to be watchable (I use the word loosely) on the Sky 'red button' anyway?

Only midweek games. And there might have been something else there, when there was no other competitions on? Could be making that bit up.

As said above there is no news here. All of these 16 games “chosen for Sky” under the new deal would be on anyway as they either fall on mid week, BH, last day first day. 

We will know in the next few days if any additional games have actually been chosen and will therefore move from 3pm Saturday kickoffs. 

I saw an article the other day listing all 92 league clubs average gates in 1986. Everyone has at least doubled since then so I don’t buy the argument that TV adversely affects gates. 

I’m still surprised they won’t allow TV live games at 3pm on Saturday. Especially given every man and his dog now has access to stream games in the EFL via VPN airways. 

47 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Yes it has. Luckily for us we have a big 'overseas' following 😉 that can still use Rams TV. Only domestic viewers are stuck with sky

... although I have a sneaking suspicion that RamsTV purely for we expats doesn't have a long life expectancy

23 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Yes it has. Luckily for us we have a big 'overseas' following 😉 that can still use Rams TV. Only domestic viewers are stuck with sky

Do we know just how “Big” the oversees numbers are for Rams TV? Does it bring a lot of income in ? The U.S.A seems to be where all the interest is coming from, for English football. They have realised that their League will always be rubbish . 

10 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I had the same thought when the new sky deal was announced. It’s a shame really as I prefer to watch on rams tv as opposed to what sky put on.

Fair point. I cancelled my RamsTV subscription when the Sky deal was announced. I’ll still use it on payg but £240pa is a lot to pay when I go to all home games and I assume at least half of away games will be on Sky. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Do we know just how “Big” the oversees numbers are for Rams TV? Does it bring a lot of income in ? The U.S.A seems to be where all the interest is coming from, for English football. They have realised that their League will always be rubbish . 

The latest data I read was between 1 and 2 million...HTHs 👍

33 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Will the day deal mean 3pm games are shown on Sky? If not they are gonna be as rare as hens teeth. Either way ducking hate Sky anyway

FA/EFL (one of the two or maybe both) rules currently prevent Saturday 3PM games being shown in the UK

22 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Will the day deal mean 3pm games are shown on Sky? If not they are gonna be as rare as hens teeth. Either way ducking hate Sky anyway

I can’t give a definite answer, but from what I’ve seen is that the 3pm blackout will still exist. ‘Luckily’ being in the championship I expect to get better times and days than L1 and 2. I presume championship games will be Friday evening, Saturday lunchtime and evening (maybe 8pm), then Sunday lunchtime and mid afternoon or Monday evening. I’ve got a feeling it will be L1 and 2 fans worse off with Sky suggesting they will be showing games on a Thursday evening.

Either way I’m of the belief that the EFL were blinded by the money when agreeing to the tv deal. Yes it’s worth more money, but it’s a kick in the teeth for those fans who go to the games or like the traditional Saturday 3pm.

On 30/06/2024 at 22:30, Eddie said:

People have been saying that for the last 40 years, but it never has. In fact, quite the opposite has happened, although of course modern stadia are a far cry from the fenced-in cesspits we used to suffer to watch football in.

It does feel like there are more empty seats for midweek games than there are for Saturday games. I wouldn’t be surprised if parents don’t bring there kids for an 8pm midweek kick off for starters.

24 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

When are the august and September tv picks announced? 

I thought it was meant to be within 7 days of the release date of the fixtures - so today ?

2 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

It does feel like there are more empty seats for midweek games than there are for Saturday games. I wouldn’t be surprised if parents don’t bring there kids for an 8pm midweek kick off for starters.

There's bound to be really I guess - kids as you say, plus that might affect childcare arrangements, plus some ST holders travel significant distances which are not so much of a problem for a weekend game but make it problematic for evening kickoffs.

It might not be great value with some games missed but they still want to have an ST to continue the DCFC habit. I miss the odd midweek game and give my ticket to a mate and it's probably not much better value than buying match-by-match but that's a faff and I like sitting with mates and the usual suspects around me. The danger with going match-by-match rather than ST is that it may be easier for folk to talk themselves out of it I guess - run of really bad form, s**** weather predicted, rubbish traffic etc.

38 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

The danger with going match-by-match rather than ST is that it may be easier for folk to talk themselves out of it I guess - run of really bad form, s**** weather predicted, rubbish traffic etc.

I'm afraid I'm one of these. I buy tickets match-by-match as I can't get to midweek games very often and can't make many early or late season games due to commitments.

I didn't feel as bad in previous years as I always bought the Rams tv match pass for the midweek games and I felt like the club were getting something from me, as opposed to nothing.

However, I don't think the club will be making as much with people having to go through Sky for these now. I may be wrong, but I don't see how the tv money will make up for the match tickets and £10 match passes the club will now miss out on.