24/25 Sky TV Coverage

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

Wednesday nights finishing at 9.10pm and my dear old dad racing us home to Brum, to watch the highlights on sportsnight at 10pm, no video recorders in those days. 

Those were the days.❤️

I can still just about get home for 10pm, with a tailwind... But I only live near (Derbyshire) Cricket ground!  🤣

11 hours ago, ram59 said:

Wednesday nights finishing at 9.10pm and my dear old dad racing us home to Brum, to watch the highlights on sportsnight at 10pm, no video recorders in those days. 

Those were the days.❤️

Yeah, I could walk home in 40 minutes to watch sportsnight or grab a few pints in the Nightingale en route when I was older.

On 08/05/2024 at 15:02, NottsRam said:

So is this the end for Ramstv altogether?  

I live in Germany and depend on RamsTV for my coverage, because I can only get to Pride Park twice a year if I am lucky. When we were last in the Championship, I used to watch the relatively few live Sky games that RamsTV weren't allowed to stream in Europe on Eurosport on a pay-per-view basis, with a pretty dire commentary in German. With half the games being affected in the coming season, I don't fancy having to subscribe to both RamsTV and Eurosport,and definitely not Sky, and I don't want to start visiting dodgy sites again. 

Does anyone have any information regarding RamsTV streaming in Europe under the new arrangements?

Posted (edited)

Honestly expect this arrangement to last one season then they'll remove 3PM blackout excluding premier league and premier league games are played at any time other than 3pm on a Saturday. There's often only 2/3 3pm KOS anyway. With more champions league games next season, more would be played on Sunday anyway.

Edited by alexxxxx

Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere, I haven't read every post.

If there are going to be a significant number of lunchtime kick offs (Saturday or Sunday), then why don't the club improve the matchplay experience at the ground and the surrounding areas.

Many posters on here bemoan the food and drink offer available on match days.

I go for a day to watch the Edgbaston test natch every year, and they always bring in some great mobile food offerings and mobile bars. You get the same at some Rugby League stadiums. Surely DCFC should be looking to somehow modernise and improve what is on offer. I bet there are loads of traders that would jump at the chance to trade at Pride Park on a lunchtime match day.

Compared to the Sky money, what the club must currently earn from their food and drink offer must be minimal, so shake it up Derby, try something new.

It might not be the whole answer, but surely worth the club looking into.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Honestly expect this arrangement to last one season then they'll remove 3PM blackout excluding premier league and premier league games are played at any time other than 3pm on a Saturday. There's often only 2/3 3pm KOS anyway. With more champions league games next season, more would be played on Sunday anyway.

Agree, it feels like a way to kill the blackout off.

2 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Agree, it feels like a way to kill the blackout off.

Not sure I agree.

If you were going to do that, you'd just do it.  There is a base level of income for the games.  Once you exceed this, you get very little more for each game available.  Therefore, I doubt that showing all the games would get more than a 10% increase.  I think Sky may be reluctant to even agree to it.

This deal has a further component.  Lg 2 teams, like Accrington, have very small fan bases.  Their fans might be less likely to go if Man Utd are on TV (I doubt EFL would stop many just because it's on TV).  They would receive less TV cash and may impact attendences.  Keeping 3pm is for them.

The core fact to the deal is this: all the clubs voted in favour.  Every. Single. One.  If you take away blackout, you would need to offer all the clubs - not simply Championship - way way more money to agree.  This is basically a compromise: loads more of everyone's games are to be televised, but 3PM remains. There is a natural limit to about 30 games per season broadcast.  All clubs get more money, with an exclusive slot (the lower you are the more 3pms you have).

If you break from these principles, teams in league 2 start voting against the deal en-mass.  While those clubs get much less TV money, they have a vote - and if you alienate Lg 2 and half of League 1, you might well lose it.  

16 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I live in Germany and depend on RamsTV for my coverage, because I can only get to Pride Park twice a year if I am lucky. When we were last in the Championship, I used to watch the relatively few live Sky games that RamsTV weren't allowed to stream in Europe on Eurosport on a pay-per-view basis, with a pretty dire commentary in German. With half the games being affected in the coming season, I don't fancy having to subscribe to both RamsTV and Eurosport,and definitely not Sky, and I don't want to start visiting dodgy sites again. 

Does anyone have any information regarding RamsTV streaming in Europe under the new arrangements?

I live in Holland and pay my £19.99 a month to RamsTV. Got all 46 games in the 2 L1 seasons. From what I've read, I'll get all 46 Championship games this season too.

1 hour ago, CBX1985 said:

Not sure I agree.

If you were going to do that, you'd just do it.  There is a base level of income for the games.  Once you exceed this, you get very little more for each game available.  Therefore, I doubt that showing all the games would get more than a 10% increase.  I think Sky may be reluctant to even agree to it.

This deal has a further component.  Lg 2 teams, like Accrington, have very small fan bases.  Their fans might be less likely to go if Man Utd are on TV (I doubt EFL would stop many just because it's on TV).  They would receive less TV cash and may impact attendences.  Keeping 3pm is for them.

The core fact to the deal is this: all the clubs voted in favour.  Every. Single. One.  If you take away blackout, you would need to offer all the clubs - not simply Championship - way way more money to agree.  This is basically a compromise: loads more of everyone's games are to be televised, but 3PM remains. There is a natural limit to about 30 games per season broadcast.  All clubs get more money, with an exclusive slot (the lower you are the more 3pms you have).

If you break from these principles, teams in league 2 start voting against the deal en-mass.  While those clubs get much less TV money, they have a vote - and if you alienate Lg 2 and half of League 1, you might well lose it.  

It’s not up to the broadcasters is it, sky would’ve killed it years ago if so.

this feels a way to inconvenience lots of fans and then point at the block when people annoyed about.

40 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

It’s not up to the broadcasters is it, sky would’ve killed it years ago if so.

this feels a way to inconvenience lots of fans and then point at the block when people annoyed about.

No, it is up to clubs. Premiership and Championship teams probably want it gone; league one more likely want it to remain; and league 2 and below will be desperate for it to be kept.  Which means at a vote, chances are it is kept.

Not sure Sky care all that much (other providers, like TNT, might want this more from a place of challenger firm).  Were it to open up, Sky would be expected to pay a lot more for content, but it would clearly bring very little additional income for that content.  Those not already subscribed are hardly likely to want to pay up just for a few 3pm games - so would need to drastically change their model.

It is a little inconvenient.  But Sky are doubling our income.  For that, we will probably have an extra 5 games kick off Mon-Fri than already, several earlier than normal and a few more on a Sunday.  To me it feels a price worth paying.  

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I live in Holland and pay my £19.99 a month to RamsTV. Got all 46 games in the 2 L1 seasons. From what I've read, I'll get all 46 Championship games this season too.

I'm not sure if it's the same in Germany because they want to try to get people to subscribe to Sky Deutschland. 

13 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I'm not sure if it's the same in Germany because they want to try to get people to subscribe to Sky Deutschland. 

I read somewhere in an article or post from Owen Bradley that RamsTV availability abroad will be the same this coming season as it was last. What happens after that is uncertain. However, I don't see Sky Deutschland broadcasting SBC, L1 or L2 matches.

I sincerely hope it stays the same going forward for my good friend in Kamen.

On 13/05/2024 at 23:04, CBX1985 said:

Not sure I agree.

I think if you did a deal which prevented premier league 3PMs being broadcast you'd have the best of both worlds. You can retain 3PM kick offs and prevent some loss of attendances whilst retaining TV revenue for those that can't go anyway. Accrington fans might stay at home to watch man utd v Fulham for example but they aren't staying at home to watch Stoke v West Brom. 

League 1 and League 2 teams also have to balance the threat of a championship breakaway (and TV revenue that's distributed through that to them) to the premier league with their own interests.

League 1 and League 2 TV rights are worth very little on their own.

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Yes we changed to Tue when McClaren came in. We had to get special dispensation from the league to change half-way through the season.

👍, never knew that was the reason we changed.

7 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I think if you did a deal which prevented premier league 3PMs being broadcast you'd have the best of both worlds. You can retain 3PM kick offs and prevent some loss of attendances whilst retaining TV revenue for those that can't go anyway. Accrington fans might stay at home to watch man utd v Fulham for example but they aren't staying at home to watch Stoke v West Brom. 

League 1 and League 2 teams also have to balance the threat of a championship breakaway (and TV revenue that's distributed through that to them) to the premier league with their own interests.

League 1 and League 2 TV rights are worth very little on their own.

I agree with most of this.  Not sure I believe a breakaway is realistic; a threat, maybe, but not sure it would add much.