Underpass Painting: We are Derby

8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

There used to be a massive Derby Ram painted on this house for what seemed like decades (on Cambridge Street, on the bottom of Sale Street).

It's a shame that it wasn't "protected" in some way.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xMMW6gH8uSGEqyeP9

Has it definitely disappeared? That image from Google Maps has a large area of the wall blurred out. Could it be that along with people and car registration plates they also hide graffiti?

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Has it definitely disappeared? That image from Google Maps has a large area of the wall blurred out. Could it be that along with people and car registration plates they also hide graffiti?

Move down to the other side of the junction, then look back... no blurring, and no graffiti/mural.  

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Move down to the other side of the junction, then look back... no blurring, and no graffiti/mural.  

You can also "go back in time" to see older pictures that aren't blurred. There's no mural there at all, in any pics.

They blur your house if you contact them and ask for it.

So, it disappeared before Google Street View began! But after the move to Pride Park. It may have said DLF next to it too.

The Ram was massive: at least half the width of the house as I remember it.

It would be good to find a photo, or the history behind it.

3 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

So, it disappeared before Google Street View began! But after the move to Pride Park. It may have said DLF next to it too.

The Ram was massive: at least half the width of the house as I remember it.

It would be good to find a photo, or the history behind it.

You need to ask one of the heritage guys - they're likely to have it tucked away somewhere. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

You need to ask one of the heritage guys - they're likely to have it tucked away somewhere. 

Would you recommend anyone in particular? I'm rubbish at remembering usernames!

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I have mixed feelings on Warne. He's done well to get us up but let's be honest we were favourites and had in-built advantages. The championship will be a whole different monster and while Warne does have a track record in league 1 he doesn't really have one in the championship. We do need to temper our expectations i think. There's little chance of a tilt at the play offs and survival is the big priority. That might be difficult to take at first...  

I think the big issue is recruitment. We were a big pull in league 1 but in the championship we are less so and the squad needs significant additions. Who knows if Warne is the man but we should back him until otherwise.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I asked for a Blur when I lived in a house, a very big house in the country.

Post of the close-season so far 👏🏻

21 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

There used to be a massive Derby Ram painted on this house for what seemed like decades (on Cambridge Street, on the bottom of Sale Street).

It's a shame that it wasn't "protected" in some way.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xMMW6gH8uSGEqyeP9

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

What, the whole wall? Surely @loweman2 or @Quangy haven't got a whole wall from a house near the BBG in their loft?

Hi @loweman2 and @Quangy,

Do you have any photos, or know any history related to the large Derby Ram mentioned above?

14 hours ago, Quangy said:

That was my idea to have the mural done. Took the idea from Sheffield FC mural. Passed the idea to popside fanatics and they put the wheels in motion.

Screenshot_20240320_163100_WhatsApp.jpg

Fantastic @Quangy. Sheffield and Derbyshire is actually the place where football was born; it was those grass-roots amateur clubs that laid the foundation. It’s all evidenced in that brilliant book “Beastly Fury”. The first chapter is a brilliant read all about the actual banning of the game in Derby in the 1840’s when soldiers were drafted in from….you guessed it Snottingham when word got out that an “illegal” game was planned to take place. 

IMG_8414.jpeg

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Fantastic @Quangy. Sheffield and Derbyshire is actually the place where football was born; it was those grass-roots amateur clubs that laid the foundation. It’s all evidenced in that brilliant book “Beastly Fury”. The first chapter is a brilliant read all about the actual banning of the game in Derby in the 1840’s when soldiers were drafted in from….you guessed it Snottingham when word got out that an “illegal” game was planned to take place. 

IMG_8414.jpeg

IMG_8415.jpeg

IMG_8416.jpeg

Edited by Ellafella