Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

So he's stamped his class on the division despite having to play without an effective DM for much of the season. It's not really a stick to beat him with.

The phrase 'a stick to beat him with' really has become a ridiculously overused catchphrase on here and is exactly one of the reasons people feel unwelcome in contributing any opinion that doesn't 100% align with the echo chamber.

I've done nothing of the sort. I've praised his use as a more advanced midfielder as a contributory factory into his enhanced contribution..

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

Remember same things being said about Mcgoldrick, haven't checked his stats but I guess he ripped the league up this year and got his best returns ever give its worst opponents he has ever faced 🤔

McGoldrick has barely been used as a striker this season, they've based their team around providing Langstaff with chances and he's delivered, even if the team overall didn't meet expectation. McG has been a support player, that may be a mistake made by their manager but for them if they can get £2-3m for their striker that's more valuable than getting more goals out of McG 

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Its a decent place to start the conversion this...  as soon as you say 'I do / don't rate' a certain player it becomes an argument.

Lots of posters who I rate seem to love the lad so he must be doing something right.

Personally (wrongly in many people's opinions) I'm not 'emotionally' bothered. Nothing against him - and it was a fairy tale way to end his career here - he just doesn't pull me in like other players do.

Maybe I perceive a casual demeanour, lack of crunching tackle, eagerness to play the safe ball   ... and he's just 'ok'. Not pacey,  or aggressive... he's kinda graceful without enough mouth dropping moments of quality to get me out of my seat.

Adams or Bird - I'm picking Adams all day long. Same with Kane Wilson. 

Quite happy to accept I'm wrong. Just the way I feel.

Happy to be another “wrong ‘in”

5 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Best season in return of goals and assists ever in Birds career. I think he will probably hope Bristol adapt a a style like Warnes, rather than some of the others he has had to play under 😏

Nothing to do with playing in an advanced position for much of the season I'm sure.

Anyhow I hope he does well there. He'll get a good reception in his return I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

McGoldrick has barely been used as a striker this season, they've based their team around providing Langstaff with chances and he's delivered, even if the team overall didn't meet expectation. McG has been a support player, that may be a mistake made by their manager but for them if they can get £2-3m for their striker that's more valuable than getting more goals out of McG 

So what you're saying is that although Bird achieved more goals and assists in one season than he ever has in his career, it's solely down to the lower league he played in and is nothing to do with the manager.

Whereas DM who achieved his highest goal tally at Derby and then dropped down a league, has not scored any where near as many and wasn't even 2nd highest scorer is down to the manager who was playing another player in his position to get a decent transfer fee for him, which is more important than the team.

Makes perfect sense 😏

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Nothing to do with playing in an advanced position for much of the season I'm sure.

Anyhow I hope he does well there. He'll get a good reception in his return I'm sure.

Who put him in the advanced position and why has no one ever done it before ?

18 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

The phrase 'a stick to beat him with' really has become a ridiculously overused catchphrase on here and is exactly one of the reasons people feel unwelcome in contributing any opinion that doesn't 100% align with the echo chamber.

I've done nothing of the sort. I've praised his use as a more advanced midfielder as a contributory factory into his enhanced contribution..

I think you've misunderstood my use of that particular idiom, or maybe I chose it badly, but I simply meant that his achievements this season shouldn't be disregarded simply because he's been playing against inferior opponents.

The other part, I admit, I don't really get, because giving opinions on here will often lead to someone disagreeing and telling you so. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think you've misunderstood my use of that particular idiom, or maybe I chose it badly, but I simply meant that his achievements this season shouldn't be disregarded simply because he's been playing against inferior opponents.

The other part, I admit, I don't really get, because giving opinions on here will often lead to someone disagreeing and telling you so. 

They weren't disregarded, they were praised but with added context.

The only thing that's been disregarded is that he was playing below his ability.

My opinion hasn't been argued or disagree with, it's been summarily dismissed.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

35 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Who put him in the advanced position and why has no one ever done it before ?

It's not his best position but when playing there he will score and assist more.

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

42 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

So what you're saying is that although Bird achieved more goals and assists in one season than he ever has in his career, it's solely down to the lower league he played in and is nothing to do with the manager.

Whereas DM who achieved his highest goal tally at Derby and then dropped down a league, has not scored any where near as many and wasn't even 2nd highest scorer is down to the manager who was playing another player in his position to get a decent transfer fee for him, which is more important than the team.

Makes perfect sense 😏

I never said either of those things.

57 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

They weren't disregarded, they were praised but with added context.

The only thing that's been disregarded is that he was playing below his ability.

My opinion hasn't been argued or disagree with, it's been summarily dismissed.

I was responding purely to this post:

Screenshot_20240511-204022-01.thumb.jpeg.ae6ebb99adcf25685f8efc753b185ce9.jpeg

I've not read any other post by you on the thread.

Just stick me on block and I'll do likewise, it'll save any further misunderstandings.

18 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I never said either of those things.

Nope, that was my interpretation, like when you replied to my OG post implying that I always ignored the quality of opponents. I also hadnt said that, either in that or any other post 😏

Not too manly to say I shed a tear watching Birdy's last interview as a Ram. I clearly lovely, respectful, hardworking, talented kid who we will miss. I'm sure the stats are out there but I always felt our dips in form coincided with his injuries, particularly last season.

Hope he uses his next step as a springboard on to bigger and better things (i.e. we re-sign him when we are in the prem).

19 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Not too manly to say I shed a tear watching Birdy's last interview as a Ram. I clearly lovely, respectful, hardworking, talented kid who we will miss. I'm sure the stats are out there but I always felt our dips in form coincided with his injuries, particularly last season.

Hope he uses his next step as a springboard on to bigger and better things (i.e. we re-sign him when we are in the prem).

Same mate, I got he watery eye thing watching that interview, Max is such a cool calm collected young man who has stayed grounded , his dad would be immensely proud , so sorry he’s going , he will be missed, best of luck Max