Defending lead

sage

Is there a team out there that can remain on the front foot for the entire 90+ minutes?

It's human nature to try even harder after going one goal down, so the oppo is gonna come at us after we take the lead.  It doesn't mean we are consciously/deliberately "going defensive".  That's not the same as "Being forced to defend, due to the oppos determination".

Credit the oppo for not giving up (And hope we nick another on the break!).

"Nearly conceding a goal" doesn't affect the scoreline, so that should be a moot point in this particular discussion.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Why?

You asked "Are we over defending".
I took that to mean "Defending too much".
I would describe "Defending too much"... with the emphasis on "too"... to infer that we failed.  Failed to keep a clean sheet.  Failed to retain a lead.  Failed to keep hold of a point.  Etc.

I would argue therefore that, if we don't concede, we weren't defending "Too much".
Whether we are clinging on by our finger nails, or offering up a defensive masterclass, we would have defended adequately if we didn't concede.

I'm a simple soul, admittedly.  

🐏

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's an eternal debate - the McClaren approach versus the Clough Jr approach.

I'm McClaren through and through, but I think Warne might be more Cloughie! 

SM failed though, BD used to protect leads and it got us promoted, yet people would still prefer the former.

Personally I enjoy all types of football, always find it intriguing how managers adapt to certain situations. I was amazed at how the Crazy Gang got so much success from a certain brand of football, Althetico Madrid mirror this to a certain extent.

The best managers appear to be ones with hindsight though, they always seem to know the best tactics that should have been deployed.

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

You asked "Are we over defending".
I took that to mean "Defending too much".
I would describe "Defending too much"... with the emphasis on "too"... to infer that we failed.  Failed to keep a clean sheet.  Failed to retain a lead.  Failed to keep hold of a point.  Etc.

I would argue therefore that, if we don't concede, we weren't defending "Too much".
Whether we are clinging on by our finger nails, or offering up a defensive masterclass, we would have defended adequately if we didn't concede.

I'm a simple soul, admittedly.  

🐏

Glad we agree 😄

I would agree that when a team goes behind the may well up there effort to try and get the equaliser, but that doesn't mean that we will. Many times Derby have one 1 - 0 up by being the better team, and then rather than keep on playing in the manner that gave us the upper hand, bringing on another defender sends out the wrong message, and compromises the team's ability to maintain the upper hand. On Tuesday, we had a load of shots on target, but how many did Port Vale have? One, possibly two. They aren't hot on goalscoring, so should we suddenly get scared that they might start rattling goals in for fun?

On top of this, we have played several teams who have put a load of goals away, yet against us they have hardly posed any threat at all. Which means that we are restricting them to very little opportunity. Now I am not proposing a gung-ho approach of piling player forwards to get the second, just that we keep on doing what we are good at, and what has got us in the lead in the first place. If we really are getting over-run, then yes make the necessary changes, but don't do it if it is not needed.

On 01/12/2023 at 10:46, eddy779h34 said:

Nice point to raise before it costs us 

I think that bolstering midfield is more effective than the defence 

I never understand why crowding the defence with extra numbers works. I say stop the ball at source which is really midfield. keep the back four and crowd the middle of the pitch may work better ?

100% bolster the midfield and make them go long but I know it’s not always as simple as that.

11 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

My son and I were gobsmacked when they picked their keeper as their MOTM (sorry, “P”OTM).

We both laughed out loud and concurred that if his was their best performance then the other 10 must have been pretty crap ! 

The 2nd half NML and Fornah deflection saves? I’d have said clearly the keeper’s fault if either had gone in - and we were right behind the centre of the goal about 4 rows back. 

Keeper distribution generally can’t lose you a game (although it can win you them), but his distribution was absolutely shocking too.

I thought he had a good game. He was really the player who was key to restricting us to just the one goal. Had no chance with the TJJ effort, but got hands on everything else that came his way and in fairness, the distribution of keepers in L1 in general is pretty awful. The save on the deflected effort was top drawer and we'd have been gushing if that was Joe making it.