Car insurance

Poynton ram

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Interesting point @RoyMac5 - I haven't actually thought that quotes might actually go up if I reduce my mileage too much. I guess there is some logic in that very low mileage drivers would be a little more likely to crash.

How in the name of chitty chitty bang bang does that work, I've been driving for 40+years, I do very little mileage now I'm retired and still manage to not crash, Is it a case of forgetting where the brakes or gears are 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Thx - good feedback. I have actually found that it doesn't move if I put my wife on/off but some other drivers it did.

Re: rentals I mean I decline the incremental options they always offer (no claims protection / excess cover etc) and I've been doing it for so long now that I am not sure I would be worse off even if I did scrape a kerb etc.

Interesting point @RoyMac5 - I haven't actually thought that quotes might actually go up if I reduce my mileage too much. I guess there is some logic in that very low mileage drivers would be a little more likely to crash.

Lower mileage is a weird one. If you submit a claim do they really ask/check how many miles you’ve done this year? 🤷🏻

19 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

How in the name of chitty chitty bang bang does that work, I've been driving for 40+years, I do very little mileage now I'm retired and still manage to not crash, Is it a case of forgetting where the brakes or gears are 🤷‍♂️

My son came back from Uni and drove for the first time in three months - Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O would have asked for him to pull over so they could take a bus instead.

58 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Renewed a few months back and it had gone down to @£330 with a few bells and whistles added. I do the recovery stuff separately though, so nearer £400 if that's thrown in as well. That's a little under par if anything. I've used Churchill the last twice FWIW. 

Is that £330 fully comprehensive? Or third party fire and theft?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Lower mileage is a weird one. If you submit a claim do they really ask/check how many miles you’ve done this year? 🤷🏻

Yes, With a click of a button they'll know your mileage, If they can got out of paying your claim they will

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fully comp. Maximum excess though which I think was £500.

Just checked @ketteringramand it was £383 with insurance, NCP, courtesy car but no windscreen or roadside recovery. Sorry, wishful thinking! Renewed on 28/07 so perhaps hikes more recent? It was smidge over £400 the previous year IIRC and I did call them to request additional discount from this renewal which they gave without quibbling, though not wildly generous. I think if you strip out the bells and whistle bits which I'm sure are designed to fleece the uninitiated like me, it would be around the £330 mark 🤐

Ran a quick search out of curiosity and got the results below using same criteria as for July renewal and got the results below. Churchill a tad more expensive, but I'd haggle off £25 on the call. Couple of quite cheap ones too. Not seeing any significant uplifts at all to be honest. A few % if anything so perhaps sharp rises are location dependent? It's a weird one!

image.thumb.png.c180ab7741259a15dc3b01125d44e075.png

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ran a quick search out of curiosity and got the results below using same criteria as for July renewal and got the results below. Churchill a tad more expensive, but I'd haggle off £25 on the call. Couple of quite cheap ones too. Not seeing any significant uplifts at all to be honest. A few % if anything so perhaps sharp rises are location dependent? It's a weird one!

image.thumb.png.c180ab7741259a15dc3b01125d44e075.png

We'll all come to your place , and renew from there, because everyone else's seems to have gone up by 30 to 50%.

Put the kettle on. 😀

I let the previous auto renew go ahead in June '22... £335 with LV= 
The auto renewal for June '23 was set to jump to a whopping £480ish (from memory). I make that nigh on 44%! 😲
Scrapped the auto-renewal on principle... but still ended up paying £461 with Hastings Direct, after shopping around/comparison sites etc.  😢

That's for fully comp on a 70 plate Ford Galaxy MPV

Currently with LV=Britannia for breakdown... £51.92 inc Euro cover (To end of May '24)

E-bikes are currently £16.83 per month for the pair. (Secure-Gold locks required).  "Fully Comp" Insurance only, inc Euro cover.
Due for renewal in December... Currently looking at the option of insurance c/w "E-Bike Breakdown"!  Who knew that was even a thing!  (Technically, it's recovery to home/bike repair shop/campsite/other, as opposed to roadside repair).  Looks like being around £22 per month all-in (for the pair), inc. Euro cover (for the insurance and recovery).  I may well go with that, but just refining my research!  

Edited by Mucker1884

Lorry hit side of my car a few months ago took off the wing mirror which was worst of it. Insurance said that as it was drivers mirror wasn't legal to drive the car until it was fixed.

Insurance company then sniffed was money to be made so suggested as I wasn't at fault getting a courtesy basically at the other parties expense. I didn't realise at the time that this was a credit hire arrangement and if I lost the claim going forward then I would be liable for the cost of the hire which was a hundred quid a day for a brand new Audi S Line. 

Which was totally exorbitant charge which would then be passed onto the end customer through premium hike anyway. 

I also ran into the side of a car with 3 occupants about 4 years ago at very low speed denting the panel work. As I was at fault all 3 occupants put in for whiplash injuries I was told at a later date.

No wonder premiums are so high.