Fully fit midfield

8Leeds

8 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

240 appearances and 3 goals from them 4. Average about one goal every season and a half from midfield.

I think Collins and Waggy would have to do a little bit more than cope. 😃👍

8 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

240 appearances and 3 goals from them 4. Average about one goal every season and a half from midfield.

I think Collins and Waggy would have to do a little bit more than cope. 😃👍

Well other than Hourihane who else is there ? I might replace bird with him

9 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Well other than Hourihane who else is there ? I might replace bird with him

Based on career goals and assists:

1. Hourihane - 1 per 229 mins
2. Embleton - 1 per 250 mins
3. Sibley - 1 per 322 mins
4. Bird - 1 per 764 mins
5. Smith - 1 per 906 mins
6. Fornah - 1 per 1116 mins
7. Thompson - 1 per 3054 mins

When looking at only recent seasons (21/22 onwards) and excluding games played in defence:
1. Embleton - 1 per 189
2. Hourihane - 1 per 238 mins
3. Sibley - 1 per 401 mins
4. Bird - 1 per 546 mins
5. Fornah - 1 per 1022 mins
6. Smith - 1 per 1061 mins
7. Thompson - 1 per 2970 mins

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on career goals and assists:

1. Hourihane - 1 per 229 mins
2. Embleton - 1 per 250 mins
3. Sibley - 1 per 322 mins
4. Bird - 1 per 764 mins
5. Smith - 1 per 906 mins
6. Fornah - 1 per 1116 mins
7. Thompson - 1 per 3054 mins

When looking at only recent seasons (21/22 onwards) and excluding games played in defence:
1. Embleton - 1 per 189
2. Hourihane - 1 per 238 mins
3. Sibley - 1 per 401 mins
4. Bird - 1 per 546 mins
5. Fornah - 1 per 1022 mins
6. Smith - 1 per 1061 mins
7. Thompson - 1 per 2970 mins

There is an element of chicken-and-egg with Hourihane's stats though - his delivery is often decent so he takes set pieces. Therefore doesn't he have a better chance of improving his stats relative to the other players? Maybe he is not only the best on set pieces but the others would never reach his level... but maybe not. For how many clubs has he been the penalty taker? Again, if he's reliable, that's fair enough, but the fact remains his chances of goal involvements improve as a result.

Perhaps chicken-and-egg isn't the right expression but what I mean is: what follows what? Does he have more goal involvements because he is preferred over others (probably yes to an extent) or is he preferred over others because he'll have more goal involvements (probably yes but how easy is it for the others to then show what they can do?)

51 minutes ago, jameso said:

There is an element of chicken-and-egg with Hourihane's stats though - his delivery is often decent so he takes set pieces. Therefore doesn't he have a better chance of improving his stats relative to the other players? Maybe he is not only the best on set pieces but the others would never reach his level... but maybe not. For how many clubs has he been the penalty taker? Again, if he's reliable, that's fair enough, but the fact remains his chances of goal involvements improve as a result.

Perhaps chicken-and-egg isn't the right expression but what I mean is: what follows what? Does he have more goal involvements because he is preferred over others (probably yes to an extent) or is he preferred over others because he'll have more goal involvements (probably yes but how easy is it for the others to then show what they can do?)

From open play, there isn't much between Hourihane and Bird. Make Sibley the set piece taker instead and he'll probably lead the charts.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From open play, there isn't much between Hourihane and Bird. Make Sibley the set piece taker instead and he'll probably lead the charts.

Yes - Sibbo takes a very decent set piece. That flat floaty one he does seems to give defences a lot to think about - not sure why it isn't used more often even when he's on the pitch with Hourihane.

5 minutes ago, jameso said:

Yes - Sibbo takes a very decent set piece. That flat floaty one he does seems to give defences a lot to think about - not sure why it isn't used more often even when he's on the pitch with Hourihane.

Hourihane has to pad his stats somehow, or it'd be more obvious he shouldn't be playing.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Hourihane has to pad his stats somehow, or it'd be more obvious he shouldn't be playing.

I'm not Hourihane's biggest admirer (although I like him and think he gives 100% effort) but I'm not sure how he goes about "padding his stats" without being told to take free-kicks and corners and occasionally putting in a good one!

33 minutes ago, jameso said:

I'm not Hourihane's biggest admirer (although I like him and think he gives 100% effort) but I'm not sure how he goes about "padding his stats" without being told to take free-kicks and corners and occasionally putting in a good one!

I was be facetious. But, with that said, he takes literally everything which is what massively overstates his chance created stats, which is what often get quoted with how "good" he is. Point being, someone else, such as Sibley, could get similar (even if not quite as good) numbers if they were afforded the same privilege but would also offer more from open play.

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

No need to worry about fitting Embleton into that line-up. 😪

Sad that he’s injured and it hasn’t worked out, in truth for me I don’t see it as too much of a blow. As this thread has highlighted we’ve got options in the middle of the park with everyone fit, even without Embleton.

We could now see a base of Bird and Fornah with Sibley in the 10. Or, possibly even Hourihane as the more advanced, where his lack of legs isn’t as much of an issue and he can create and score. Thommo, Smith, Robinson and Radcliffe all offer depth in there too. 

17 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

We’ve had an appalling amount of injuries so far this season. Is our training ground full of rabbit holes?

Heal quick Elliott and best of luck for the future. 

There are a few factors which come in to play:
1. training and match intensity (primarily the former)
2. Age of players and being managed carefully (see Mendez-Laing as an example of someone who needs reduced play time to reduce the risk of injury)
3. A lot of the players we've recruited have all had limited game time over recent seasons - either due to injury or other reasons.

Here's the percentage of minutes played in the league last season for our new signings:
Ward - 77%
Nyambe - 53%
Nelson - 49%
Fornah - 47%
Elder - 46%
Washington - 41%
Bradley - 28%
Embleton - 26%
Waghorn - 22%
John-Jules - 19%
Vickers - 5%
Wilson - 2%

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There are a few factors which come in to play:
1. training and match intensity (primarily the former)
2. Age of players and being managed carefully (see Mendez-Laing as an example of someone who needs reduced play time to reduce the risk of injury)
3. A lot of the players we've recruited have all had limited game time over recent seasons - either due to injury or other reasons.

Here's the percentage of minutes played in the league last season for our new signings:
Ward - 77%
Nyambe - 53%
Nelson - 49%
Fornah - 47%
Elder - 46%
Washington - 41%
Bradley - 28%
Embleton - 26%
Waghorn - 22%
John-Jules - 19%
Vickers - 5%
Wilson - 2%

Wasn't that partly why Rosenior didn't have Didzy, he wanted to be totally sure he'd be fit for the season and didn't rush him back?

Edited by RoyMac5

On 26/09/2023 at 15:40, jimtastic56 said:

Agree- If Brennan Johnson is worth £48 mill + 10% sell on , why was Knight so cheap? As for Bird , I know he is running his contract down , but Half a mill ! 

Difference is length of contract also currently a prem team and we are league 1 its litually comes to what league you play in