ABBA voyage

Geriatram

Been to London this weekend courtesy of my family for our 60th wedding anniversary. Yesterday we took in the Freddie Mercury auction exhibition, was worth seeing. Then last night went to see the abba hologram show. I have been to live rock concerts and this was nothing like. but for the sheer experience it was mind blowing, but to hear people cheering a hologram was a little bit strange. But it was very clever and enjoyable. I found that I  could not clap even though I was an abba fan many years ago. Also on another note the average price of beer and wine was at least £9.

3 hours ago, Geriatram said:

Been to London this weekend courtesy of my family for our 60th wedding anniversary. Yesterday we took in the Freddie Mercury auction exhibition, was worth seeing. Then last night went to see the abba hologram show. I have been to live rock concerts and this was nothing like. but for the sheer experience it was mind blowing, but to hear people cheering a hologram was a little bit strange. But it was very clever and enjoyable. I found that I  could not clap even though I was an abba fan many years ago. Also on another note the average price of beer and wine was at least £9.

That's all you ever bloody think about... Money, Money, Money!  

Mrs Sagan is a particularly enthusiastic fan, so tomorrow will be our tenth visit, including the premiere and the one-year anniversary shows when the real members of ABBA were also present. Over the years I have been forced into fandom too. The technology is extraordinary, by Industrial Light and Magic. This is not a show like the "hologram" music performances of old. And is incredibly creative. And one of many wonderful things about it is that everyone there is happy (apart from maybe a few grumpy ones on this thread).

We normally stand, but like to try different areas of the arena to compare the experience. It's just half an hour away and there are often last-minute cheap tickets available. When people query the multiple visits, Mrs S says it's like going to the football. And every show is different, depending on audience and vantage point.

Here's a clip:

Even the microphones and Benny's piano are made of light. 

Here's a video I took at the DLR station on the way home one evening (sadly ABBA banned the initial tweet of footage from inside the venue):

On 27/08/2023 at 18:09, Carl Sagan said:

Mrs Sagan is a particularly enthusiastic fan, so tomorrow will be our tenth visit, including the premiere and the one-year anniversary shows when the real members of ABBA were also present. Over the years I have been forced into fandom too. The technology is extraordinary, by Industrial Light and Magic. This is not a show like the "hologram" music performances of old. And is incredibly creative. And one of many wonderful things about it is that everyone there is happy (apart from maybe a few grumpy ones on this thread).

We normally stand, but like to try different areas of the arena to compare the experience. It's just half an hour away and there are often last-minute cheap tickets available. When people query the multiple visits, Mrs S says it's like going to the football. And every show is different, depending on audience and vantage point.

Here's a clip:

Even the microphones and Benny's piano are made of light. 

Here's a video I took at the DLR station on the way home one evening (sadly ABBA banned the initial tweet of footage from inside the venue):

Hi Carl S.

Is the best place standing?

Thinking of coming down in January for the experience (after saying i wouldn't if it was the last gig on earth!!!).

Be interested in your  POV.

Cheers IDM.

PS Waiting for Buzzcocks to do it with Pete Shelley (not the same without the master.😜)

Edited by I DONT MIND

16 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Hi Carl S.

Thinking of coming down in January for the experience (after saying i wouldn't if it was the last gig on earth!!!).

Cheers IDM.

PS Waiting for Buzzcocks to do it with Pete Shelley (not the same without the master.😜)

Carl will have a much better idea , if he's been several times. We went once, and were very central , in the seating, just behind the standing section. Raised enough for a perfect view. If I was going again, I'd book the same block. I don't think it could possibly be as good if you were around towards the sides. We're too old and decrepit to bother with standing, especially after traipsing round London for the day.

Found the whole thing very impressive. Though it's an odd feeling , when you realise exactly what it is you're watching! Sound quality is awesome. 

Edited by ketteringram

On 01/09/2023 at 21:00, I DONT MIND said:

Hi Carl S.

Cheers IDM.

Soz for the slow reply. And I saw Buzzcocks at the Garage early in the year. They did well, but not the same...

For ABBA, don't pay extra for the "Departure Lounge" hospitality. Absolutely not worth it, and the only poor element of the experience for anyone.

On the whole, a bit like Pride Park, nearly everywhere is a good spot. Here's the seating plan:

46bc3fe0e695832e5eb5cd26633227c6-Abba%20

The very cheapest official seats are high up at the back of the extreme sides of the arena in Block F and Block K. We tried them as an experiment as they were only £20 a pop, and they're fine if you know the show and go often, but don't be tempted as a one-off. They're the only places where the ABBAtars look a bit flat and 2-dimensional.

When the band are there in person, or the producers or industry people, they're in the lower-level dance booths (A, B, E, F) and those are great spots where you're freer to jump around wthout annoying anyone behind (ABBA don't do this!). They put their families, centrally in the Block C seats, just above the seating area, and these are probably the best seats.

The show's not long, from 7.45 to 9.30 in the evening. I like to stand. And, if doing so, the best spot for first timers is probably in the centre at the back of the standing area (in front of Block C), as long as you can see. I'd get into the arena about 7.25 (you can take your booze in and there are bars inside) and reserve a spot there. It's managed well so doesn't get too crowded.

Sometimes we go and stand at the front, but if you do that you miss the Eurovision section of the show where a screen descends and Brigton 1974 is projected onto it for part of the time. I like being at the front for any gig, but this one is weird because the ABBAtars seem to "appear" the same size wherever you are. But the overall visuals are best experienced from further back, from where you can appreciate the "actual" band members on stage and the projections all around. Helga who Mrs Sagan knows and who runs the international fanclub, says the very best seats are right at the back in block H, so we've booked those for Christmas to try them.

If sitting and going for Blocks K or F, try to get as close to the inside as possible (ie close to Blocks J or G) and it'll be great.

It's an amazing moment when they first come on stage, but then the opening two songs aren't as well known. So the audience tends to go quiet until the third song which is SOS. If you want to be up for it from the off, the opening two songs are:

The Visitors

Hole in your Soul 

After that it's all famous ones, together with a the two singles from the Voyage album thrown in (Don't Shut Me Down and I Still Have Faith In You).

They keep the visuals varied throughout, to make the show interesting. The weirdest element of that is an animation in two parts, to Eagle and Voulez Vous. But, if you know what to look for, the animations are very clever.

As a space lover, I can say the show has a lot for space lovers. A wonderful northern lights section for Fernando, a massive total solar eclipse for Chiquitita, and then the band dance their hearts out in front of Saturn during Summer Night City. As @ketteringramsays, the sound is awesome, as are the lights.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Soz for the slow reply. And I saw Buzzcocks at the Garage early in the year. They did well, but not the same...

For ABBA, don't pay extra for the "Departure Lounge" hospitality. Absolutely not worth it, and the only poor element of the experience for anyone.

On the whole, a bit like Pride Park, nearly everywhere is a good spot. Here's the seating plan:

46bc3fe0e695832e5eb5cd26633227c6-Abba%20

The very cheapest official seats are high up at the back of the extreme sides of the arena in Block F and Block K. We tried them as an experiment as they were only £20 a pop, and they're fine if you know the show and go often, but don't be tempted as a one-off. They're the only places where the ABBAtars look a bit flat and 2-dimensional.

When the band are there in person, or the producers or industry people, they're in the lower-level dance booths (A, B, E, F) and those are great spots where you're freer to jump around wthout annoying anyone behind (ABBA don't do this!). They put their families, centrally in the Block C seats, just above the seating area, and these are probably the best seats.

The show's not long, from 7.45 to 9.30 in the evening. I like to stand. And, if doing so, the best spot for first timers is probably in the centre at the back of the standing area (in front of Block C), as long as you can see. I'd get into the arena about 7.25 (you can take your booze in and there are bars inside) and reserve a spot there. It's managed well so doesn't get too crowded.

Sometimes we go and stand at the front, but if you do that you miss the Eurovision section of the show where a screen descends and Brigton 1974 is projected onto it for part of the time. I like being at the front for any gig, but this one is weird because the ABBAtars seem to "appear" the same size wherever you are. But the overall visuals are best experienced from further back, from where you can appreciate the "actual" band members on stage and the projections all around. Helga who Mrs Sagan knows and who runs the international fanclub, says the very best seats are right at the back in block H, so we've booked those for Christmas to try them.

If sitting and going for Blocks K or F, try to get as close to the inside as possible (ie close to Blocks J or G) and it'll be great.

It's an amazing moment when they first come on stage, but then the opening two songs aren't as well known. So the audience tends to go quiet until the third song which is SOS. If you want to be up for it from the off, the opening two songs are:

The Visitors

Hole in your Soul 

After that it's all famous ones, together with a the two singles from the Voyage album thrown in (Don't Shut Me Down and I Still Have Faith In You).

They keep the visuals varied throughout, to make the show interesting. The weirdest element of that is an animation in two parts, to Eagle and Voulez Vous. But, if you know what to look for, the animations are very clever.

As a space lover, I can say the show has a lot for space lovers. A wonderful northern lights section for Fernando, a massive total solar eclipse for Chiquitita, and then the band dance their hearts out in front of Saturn during Summer Night City. As @ketteringramsays, the sound is awesome, as are the lights.

Thanks for the info buddy.

Will probably try for block H then as we want to experience the show in its entirety not just for the fan boy(girl) dancing! So that may be the second visit.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, I DONT MIND said:

Thanks for the info buddy.

Will probably try for block H then as we want to experience the show in its entirety not just for the fan boy(girl) dancing! So that may be the second visit.

Cheers 

Deleted due to incompetence. 

Edited by ketteringram

5 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

No thanks Kettering for your input as well. 

I was going to ask why you were going for block H, thinking it was right at the side. Then realised it's behind block C!  Either C or H would be fine. More leg room in the front row of H. Great view of  the effects etc from there too. Though bear in mind , it's the only place I've seen it from 😀

• 3 weeks later...