Warne’s contract

Poynton ram

I've read informed journalists write that some contracts do indeed get paid up pretty much in full so it's not unknown.   We were chasing Warne and persuading him to drop a division.   I mean we shouldn't be surprised at owners of football clubs handing out stupid contracts at Derby.  I'm not saying Warne and his staff will need to be paid up in full but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case. 

16 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Think it’s a myth that managers get paid for their remaining contracts. They’re paid off inevitably but normally it’s a settlement. 

They can't get work whilst within the period term.  We would be liable to pay them in full, but they probably would want to work elsewhere and that is where the wriggle room is.

Gareth Bale, whilst at Real Madrid, said: I want to stay in Madrid and you have said you will be me this.  Pay me.  Nothing they could do.

If Warne decides you know what, this managerial lark is not for me I am going to do nothing and let them pay me.  Pay him we would.

4 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Not a Manager. Very different scenario, very different contract.

A contract is a contract.  A boat, a footballer, a dog walker, a manager, a tin of beans, a house.  A contract is a contract.

If we have said he comes for four years and he wants to walk away, he needs  to compensate for the difference (including finding replacements etc).  We would need to do the same for him.  

6 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

A contract is a contract.  A boat, a footballer, a dog walker, a manager, a tin of beans, a house.  A contract is a contract.

If we have said he comes for four years and he wants to walk away, he needs  to compensate for the difference (including finding replacements etc).  We would need to do the same for him.  

The devil is obviously in the detail of the contract but I very much doubt he’d have to specifically compensate the club for finding a replacement if he chose to walk away.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The devil is obviously in the detail of the contract but I very much doubt he’d have to specifically compensate the club for finding a replacement if he chose to walk away.

My contract at work says that.  I have to give one years notice and if i want to walk away prior to end of notice need to pay for the difference and costs (that invariably includes recruitment).  Reality is, when I have resigned in the past I get put on gardening leave for six months and nothing more, but they can impose it if they so choose.

Cost of replacement is a common employment contract feature.  It is very rarely actually enforced except for quite highly paid jobs (as not worth the hassle of Court).  

1 minute ago, CBX1985 said:

My contract at work says that.  I have to give one years notice and if i want to walk away prior to end of notice need to pay for the difference and costs (that invariably includes recruitment).  Reality is, when I have resigned in the past I get put on gardening leave for six months and nothing more, but they can impose it if they so choose.

Cost of replacement is a common employment contract feature.  It is very rarely actually enforced except for quite highly paid jobs (as not worth the hassle of Court).  

As I say, the devil will be in the detail. I’ve never seen it in any of my contracts  but accept it exists. As you say though, it’s probably very rarely enforced. In the world of football managers, I would imagine it’s either be a case of the club in question happy to see him go or, if he’s been poached, then any such costs are incorporated into the fee agreed between the clubs (not the manager). Hence why I said specifically. 

18 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

First of all I am not suggesting Warne is sacked after 2games. However the view seems to be that if he is sacked the club will have to pay up his and his team’s 4 year contract. Surely there must be something in his contract linked to performance that allows the club to terminate early without compensation? DC is a shrewd businessman so I would have expected there to be something in the t & cs that limits a payoff? 

"First of all I am not suggesting Warne is sacked after 2games."

Good because that would be ridiculous ! It'll come good , give it time.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

As I say, the devil will be in the detail. I’ve never seen it in any of my contracts  but accept it exists. As you say though, it’s probably very rarely enforced. In the world of football managers, I would imagine it’s either be a case of the club in question happy to see him go or, if he’s been poached, then any such costs are incorporated into the fee agreed between the clubs (not the manager). Hence why I said specifically. 

I said rarely enforced except in highly paid jobs.  I suspect his is a highly paid job, so very commonly enforced.  CEOs have this issue commonly, for instance.

What if as a result of him being sacked after one game no one wants him?  That is the core risk to this club.  

8 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

I said rarely enforced except in highly paid jobs.  I suspect his is a highly paid job, so very commonly enforced.  CEOs have this issue commonly, for instance.

What if as a result of him being sacked after one game no one wants him?  That is the core risk to this club.  

If he’s sacked after just one game then he definitely wouldn’t have to compensate the club. Assuming you meant “what if he decides to walk after just one game and no one want him”, well I agree there may well be such a clause but again, I suspect it’s rarely enforced partly because the scenario you are describing is highly unlikely to happen. 

I would imagine, in the vast majority of cases, managers leave (rather than being sacked) either by mutual consent (because the club wants rid as well) or because he’s been poached (whereby his new club would have to pay compensation).

3 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

Footballers are rarely sacked and their contracts are typically designed the protect the investment in that player. Managers almost always are sacked hence the contract terms, especially around termination, will likely be very different.

So of course a contract is a contract but the terms of it can be very different. I've done 1000's of contracts including 5 year contacts with year-by-year no fee break clauses, cancellation clauses, etc and it could be that PW's is a min 4 year with 100% settlement if terminated early but I very much doubt it. More likely a cancellation clause of £x. But obviously we don't know so my guess it absolutely as good as yours.

btwI inline 6's - don't make 'em like that any more 😉