Women's World Cup

therealhantsram

22 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I've watched quite a few non-league games in my time and had some of the best times of my life. I just enjoy watching football as a social experience. Whether that's kids, women, men whatever. For me - coming away from a truly terrible 0-0 game and laughing about how crap it was is part of the fun. I guess I struggle to get into the mindset of people who would refuse to watch a game because they don't think it will be a high enough standard for them to enjoy!

I've ditched the professional game for the Semi Pro game...Belper Town, Beers before the match, Beers while watching the match and a couple of beers after the match, With like minded people who enjoy a laugh and a chat, It's something else, Officials are as good/bad as what DCFC have to deal with, the football is good to watch and talking to the away fans in the pub is as good as a Fish n Chip supper on a Friday night 😁 

21 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I've ditched the professional game for the Semi Pro game...Belper Town, Beers before the match, Beers while watching the match and a couple of beers after the match, With like minded people who enjoy a laugh and a chat, It's something else, Officials are as good/bad as what DCFC have to deal with, the football is good to watch and talking to the away fans in the pub is as good as a Fish n Chip supper on a Friday night 😁 

Same with my local non-league team. Great atmosphere, specially since they got another promotion. Now they are 2 off the football league.

8 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Same with my local non-league team. Great atmosphere, specially since they got another promotion. Now they are 2 off the football league.

Yep £7 to get in, Free sausage n chips in the local before the game, 2 buses back home half cut...pop into the KFC then crash out on the settee and wake up at 2am...a cracking day out 😉 

Very much looking forward to the game and win, lose or draw, they continue to incite change for the better and inspire so many people. 

I have coached women’s football before and it was unbelievably rewarding. There was women of all ages and abilities. Some were in their late thirties who had fought to play on the same team as lads, fought again to have a club and then fought again to have enough teams to have a league. All of that had happened in just their playing years. 

So without getting on my soapbox too much, this means the world to those women and for all the ladies that have followed. Having a daughter myself now and knowing the opportunities she will be afforded should she wish is a testament to all those that have worked so hard to this point. 

I just hope even if women’s football isn’t your thing you can at least appreciate why it’s so important to so many. Oh, and maybe keep your opinions to yourself for a day or two. 

My word of the day... "Bandwagon"!

Thus far, I've read a couple of snippets, and deliberately but half-heartedly gone out of my way to specifically click on a couple of highlight reels.

Today however, I'm gonna go out of my way to ferk out my old England shirt (The two-way one, that still works when it's "inside out"!).
I'm gonna go out of my way to get off my arse and actually turn on the TV, and take control of the remote.
And I'm gonna make a special concerted effort to board the bandwagon, give the girls a whoop and a holler, and hopefully feel some emotion (other than meh inspired apathy) at the final whistle.
I want to get involved.  I want to enjoy it.  And I want to say "I was there", when we all look back in years to come, on a historic day for Football, for England, For girls, and for King George!  

#BRING IT HOME, LADIES.
xxx

*I'd like to point out (For no other reason than to get my defence in early!) that any hint of apathy above is based purely and solely on my overall thoughts on football in general, and most certainly not relative to the gender of the players.  It must be well over a decade since I tuned in to MOTD.  Probably twice that since I watched any live club game on TV not involving The Rams, and I can't remember the last England (Men's) game I sat and watched... I assume it was whatever the last "Big game" was?

6 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Heavy night last night and had completely forgotten about the game! All of a sudden, my hangover seems to have dissipated.

Come on girls, bring it home

I like how we used the same phrase, whilst posting at the same time (I'm a slow typist!).
Feel's like I'm a part of it already!  😁

@RoyMac5 there was just a nicely put together short on the Beeb outlining the barriers to women's footy you described with some footage of early ladies games and the large crowds they attracted. Weird that it's relatively modern history and yet not common knowledge, or maybe it's just me that never knew. Embarrassing and shameful for the FA in equal measures, though in some ways, it just makes the Lionesses' growth and success all the more inspirational.

On a general note, I backed Spain before the tournament and I haven't cashed out, nor will I be. I am, however, the ultimate football jinx and have not landed a significant footy bet this millenium, so you can all thank me later if England triumph 😋

Note - Love Sarina 😍 Always smiling, always positive and so good at her job. Investment has played its part and the development of the ladies' league, but Sarina rocking up has been the watershed. The players clearly adore her.

Edited by Comrade 86
superstition

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

To my shame, I've had to look up her name... but Captain Millie Bright looked an absolute machine at the head of the tunnel. 
Physically "Brick-House", mentally focussed, and seemingly ready for battle.

I've decided I like her already, despite my obvious and shameful ignorance...

And we're off... 

Derbyshire lass too, born in Chesterfield