I find this...

MadAmster

... a bit of a worry.

The following players' contracts all expire next summer... Knight (almost certain to be going to Brizzle), Bird, Sibs, Cash, Barks, NML, Thommo, Hourihane, Smith, Wildsmith, Collo, Fozzy, Loach and Robinson. I think all 7 of the newbies got 2 years, so till 2025. Rooney to 2026.

That's 13 players going into the last season of their contracts. Not an issue with Foz and Loach but the other 11, we need to decide who we want to keep and get them signed up NOW rather than sometime in the future. Aren't they allowed to talk to other clubs come January and sign pre contract deals?

12 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

... a bit of a worry.

The following players' contracts all expire next summer... Knight (almost certain to be going to Brizzle), Bird, Sibs, Cash, Barks, NML, Thommo, Hourihane, Smith, Wildsmith, Collo, Fozzy, Loach and Robinson. I think all 7 of the newbies got 2 years, so till 2025. Rooney to 2026.

That's 13 players going into the last season of their contracts. Not an issue with Foz and Loach but the other 11, we need to decide who we want to keep and get them signed up NOW rather than sometime in the future. Aren't they allowed to talk to other clubs come January and sign pre contract deals?

Some had 3 year deals. Elder, Ward and maybe Vickers.

31 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

... a bit of a worry.

None of those players are Warne signings, some he'll want keep, depending on which division we'll be playing in. If we do get promoted, we'll need a certain amount of clearing of the decks in order to get better players in to compete at a higher level.

The trouble with offering certain players extended contracts now, is that those who aren't offered new contracts will feel put out. Warne is a big one on harmony within the squad, a sure way to spoil this is to effectively say to a few of the team 'I'm not interested in keeping you'.  I think that Warne will also need to evaluate how these players fit into the new dynamics of the team, which we will see this season.

I think that new contracts will be looked at in the lead up to the new year, when we have a better idea of where we are headed and how the players fit into the project.

Cashin and Bird are the main worries, but hopefully they both sign up to long-term deals. I’m sure players will be offered deals either now or as the season progresses. 

Sibely will probably be playing for a contract, ironically if he does well will probably move on for free (albeit we would receive compensation). 

Realiatically, I would only ve giving contracts immediately to Cashin, Bird, Sibley, Tommo, Wildsmith and DRobinson. The others would only be extended based on performances.

The EFL imposed restrictions have resulted in a number of our promising youngsters being stuck on short term deals, and in the cases of Bird and Sibley, this is the first summer we've been able to offer them new deals since they signed their current ones.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Realiatically, I would only ve giving contracts immediately to Cashin, Bird, Sibley, Tommo, Wildsmith and DRobinson. The others would only be extended based on performances.

The EFL imposed restrictions have resulted in a number of our promising youngsters being stuck on short term deals, and in the cases of Bird and Sibley, this is the first summer we've been able to offer them new deals since they signed their current ones.

They're the six I mentioned on Derby's Twitter post this morning about Rooney's extension. Makes sense to get it done, even if it doesn't work out long term for any of them, it's little lost with money made on a sale. If they do all pan out, they are safely ours or at least money spinners. You'd have thought too that most, if not all, of them will be or already are contributors to the squad.

Get it done!

21 hours ago, ram59 said:

None of those players are Warne signings, some he'll want keep, depending on which division we'll be playing in. If we do get promoted, we'll need a certain amount of clearing of the decks in order to get better players in to compete at a higher level.

The trouble with offering certain players extended contracts now, is that those who aren't offered new contracts will feel put out. Warne is a big one on harmony within the squad, a sure way to spoil this is to effectively say to a few of the team 'I'm not interested in keeping you'.  I think that Warne will also need to evaluate how these players fit into the new dynamics of the team, which we will see this season.

I think that new contracts will be looked at in the lead up to the new year, when we have a better idea of where we are headed and how the players fit into the project.

Good point but from Jan 1st, half the squad will be allowed to look elsewhere and leave for nowt next summer. How often has running contracts down and letting the players leave for nowt been slammed by fans?

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Good point but from Jan 1st, half the squad will be allowed to look elsewhere and leave for nowt next summer. How often has running contracts down and letting the players leave for nowt been slammed by fans?

It's always a difficult one when we're in a position to be looking at promotion - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Of the current squad who would fans most likely slam the club for allowing to run their contracts down? My thoughts would be the younger players, arguably the club are in a position to prioritise extensions for those younger players and say to the older players their extensions will be discussed in due course.
I can’t see any of the senior pros throwing their toys out of the pram at that suggestion. They’ve all been around football long enough to know how it works. Seeing the club secure Bird, Sibley and Cashin on new deals makes sense due to being academy graduates the club has invested in and want to secure, then the older pros  get to play for their contracts here or put themselves in a position of one more payday somewhere else. 

Oh and they can only sign pre-contracts in January with teams outside of England (and Wales). “Domestic” deals can only be agreed in May, close to their contracts expiring. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

22 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd agree with that but my gut feeling is that the two highlighted names will prove the hardest to persuade to renew.If they don't sign then we may be forced to advertise their availability to other clubs and see what we can generate for our transfer budget.This week in Spain,I feel,will be a time for key discussions with the players you mention and PW has already said he wants no "hostages".

On 11/07/2023 at 15:56, ram59 said:

A further point to that is: we might go up.  Our needs in the Championship will be different.  And players will get more money from us if we go up and negotiate.

It isn't really in anyone's interest to negotiate a contract at this stage

On 11/07/2023 at 15:13, MadAmster said:

... a bit of a worry.

Of those I imagine we'd be looking to keep Bird, Sibs and Cash. Maybe Thommo, Houri and Wildsmith but I imagine the rest will be replaced by younger models as we'll need something different in the Championship (which is where we'll be next season - there, I said it!).

To those who think the club might cause unrest in the squad by offering some new contracts and not others. Will Rooney's new contract upset the rest of the squad whose contracts expire next summer? Probably not. Even the younger members of the squad like Bird, Cash, Sibs will understand the ways of the football contracts world.

15 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Of those I imagine we'd be looking to keep Bird, Sibs and Cash. Maybe Thommo, Houri and Wildsmith but I imagine the rest will be replaced by younger models as we'll need something different in the Championship (which is where we'll be next season - there, I said it!).

... and I don't think them being offered new deals will see the others get mardy. It might even spur them on as better performances will either force PW to negotiate and offer them one or persuade other clubs that they want them even if Derby don't.

Cashin, Bird, Wildsmith and maybe Sibley.  Basically anyone who has decent sell-on value. The rest we can wait till next Summer and take it from there. If Hourihan for instance decides to do similar to Didzy so be it. He would be replaced by someone younger, although maybe not quite at the same level of talent.