Can Luton beat our record?

TigerTedd

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Nope - it won't 

Sunderland fans probably said the same. Even managed to beat their own record.

3 wins and a draw for an ill prepared club isn't unthinkable.

You also have the possibility of points deductions, the PL and EFL could announce they will sync up punishments for failing P&S. 

Not like we have just 5 seasons left of Premier League football and that's it, all clubs fold and football is no more.

As someone who has a soft spot for Watford, I've never been a fan of Luton. Awful ground too. But fair play.  Honestly never thought the likes of LTFC would be in the big time. Not sure what that says about the Championship this year. 

IMO auto relegation but no, our "achievement" will never be beaten. 

19 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We could perhaps spiv a couple of back to back promotions and have a go at it ourselves.

Field a 39 year old didzy and JC as our 2-pronged strike force we could go for fewest goals anorl.....🤣

Do we still hold the record for the longest winless streak in the Prem? I think we can still extend that one if we ever get back up, so may as well give all our old records another go 😂

18 hours ago, David said:

Sunderland fans probably said the same. Even managed to beat their own record.

3 wins and a draw for an ill prepared club isn't unthinkable.

You also have the possibility of points deductions, the PL and EFL could announce they will sync up punishments for failing P&S. 

Not like we have just 5 seasons left of Premier League football and that's it, all clubs fold and football is no more.

People who say it will never happen baffle me. There are going to be decades and decades and decades more of Premier League seasons. Its ridiculous to believe there is zero chance of someone performing poorly in all that time

It's really hard to imagine Luton won't pick up 3 home wins against the bottom half sides

I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up home wins and draws Vs a top 6 or so on the odd special night game that will feel like a cup tie. 

A couple of draws seems nailed on considering sometimes all you have to do is turn up and, like when Forest played West Ham at home, there's somebody who's on self destruct mode

11 points was one hell of an achievement. 

19 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Do we still hold the record for the longest winless streak in the Prem? I think we can still extend that one if we ever get back up, so may as well give all our old records another go 😂

People who say it will never happen baffle me. There are going to be decades and decades and decades more of Premier League seasons. Its ridiculous to believe there is zero chance of someone performing poorly in all that time

I think there's every chance of "Someone performing poorly".  But it's just how poorly that is the crux of the matter. 

So far, we've had a decade and a half. 

In that time, Huddersfield have got 16 (in 18/19) which equates to being c. 45% better than us.
Also in that period, Villa got 17 (in 15/16), which is c. 55% better.

Percentage-wise, they weren't particularly close at all!

On 27/05/2023 at 21:32, Boycie said:

We thought Forest would beat it.

Alas, nobody will.

i think we wanted them to beat it just like we want Luton or anybody to take it

the reality is it will take some doing

teams coming up are learning togetherness and support gives you the best chance , that will get you enough to beat 11 everytime 

even teams that are utterly hopeless haven’t come close yet

On 28/05/2023 at 09:55, Sparkle said:

Dreadful championship this season but they benefited from that - probably finish 20th and they would be the happiest club to do that 

the premiership will be mortified to lose two of leeds,Leicester,Everton whilst being replaced by Luton and Burnley with Bournmouth still there. It’s a hard sell for the other clubs !

so as you have said it’s a dreadful premier league, a dreadful championship but let me guess league one is really strong 

it might make us feel better to say teams only achieve things because leagues are low quality but it’s not true 

1 minute ago, alram said:

so as you have said it’s a dreadful premier league, a dreadful championship but let me guess league one is really strong 

it might make us feel better to say teams only achieve things because leagues are low quality but it’s not true 

Definitely will be a weaker Prem next year with a skint Sheff Utd and Luton going up. Be shocked if those two aren't the bottom 2.

Championship, however, should be much stronger next year with Ipswich/Plymouth/Leeds/Leicester/Southampton. No more point deductions or anything either. Was pretty bad this year though.

How many of the the Luton squad were on loan this season - will they buy them or will they have to replace them ? - where will they play their home games next season as spending £10 million on a stadium that is being replaced is nuts - The new stadium costs money that they will have now have the cash to pay for it - they are not going to improve on what they have got currently so they have every chance of getting slaughtered most weeks and once that starts to happen they will stop even trying.

it’s the price of success 

6 minutes ago, alram said:

Well you have made more than half of that up - I said it was a dreadful championship this season but you chose to change the narrative of what I said. If the sport’s journalists of the successful clubs say it’s been a very poor standard in the league it suggests it’s been not of a very high standard.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Feels like it's almost a record some want to keep for the self deprecating humour.

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Definitely will be a weaker Prem next year with a skint Sheff Utd and Luton going up. Be shocked if those two aren't the bottom 2.

Championship, however, should be much stronger next year with Ipswich/Plymouth/Leeds/Leicester/Southampton. No more point deductions or anything either. Was pretty bad this year though.

yes I agree with that

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Well you have made more than half of that up - I said it was a dreadful championship this season but you chose to change the narrative of what I said. If the sport’s journalists of the successful clubs say it’s been a very poor standard in the league it suggests it’s been not of a very high standard.

apologies I thought you said the premier was weak but people have been saying it all season I think it’s nonsense

7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I think there's every chance of "Someone performing poorly".  But it's just how poorly that is the crux of the matter. 

So far, we've had a decade and a half. 

In that time, Huddersfield have got 16 (in 18/19) which equates to being c. 45% better than us.
Also in that period, Villa got 17 (in 15/16), which is c. 55% better.

Percentage-wise, they weren't particularly close at all!

So 2 teams got extremely close to our points total and people still dont think it will ever happen in the decades of premier league football still to come. Trying to make it sound worse with percentages doesnt change how close they got!

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

So 2 teams got extremely close to our points total and people still dont think it will ever happen in the decades of premier league football still to come. Trying to make it sound worse with percentages doesnt change how close they got!

Whilst I'm more than happy to read/listen to/accept/respect your opinion, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with your reference of "Trying to make it sound worse...".  As if I have some sort of agenda?  🤷‍♂️
I can assure you I wasn't trying to do anything other than explaining my own thought process behind my opinion... and I hasten to add, my opinion on this subject is far from strong... no more than a brief chat with mates, purely because it's on topic.  I'm on no soap box here, for the record!

But I do hold the belief that both 45% and 55% (respectively) being described as "extremely close" is a tad far-fetched.  Apologies if that upsets/offends you in anyway.  🐏🍻