Can Luton beat our record?

TigerTedd

Not seen much of Luton, but agree with opinion that it will be equalled or beaten on day.

A lot depends on what they “do” in summer transfer window. As we found with Billy D, if in the manager is unprepared for recruiting for the prem you could easily fall foul of the “I liked that big Claude Davis, he really bossed Rotherham the other week”.

On 27/05/2023 at 20:37, Bris Vegas said:

They will get 20+ points from their home form alone. They are a big, physical side who will bully teams at Kenilworth Rd. 

Crazy to think they are two divisions higher than Derby though.

Bournemouth’s rise was pretty crazy but they were backed by a Russian billionaire.

Luton’s promotion feels different. 

We disagree a lot but you are so right on this one. This, in a sense, is at least as big as Leicester’s against the odds title win. Is there anywhere as unfashionable as Luton ? Their ground is an anachronism even in the championship. It’s a throwback to another age. On top of that you get the EFL’s example making from 10/12 years ago. Whatever wrongdoing they were punished for, the sanctions were hugely disproportionate. I went with Luton fans to Alfreton Town at their lowest ebb during the Christmas holidays (DCFC were away) They outnumbered the home fans, it was a football and life education for me. When you get what being a supporter really means. It is vastly different but magical for all that. In this corporate experienced based entertainment enterprise ..there are still real sporting moments where the spirit of the game breathes freely. 

Nephew (with some coaching ) says target is 12 points and beat Forest .. 

3 hours ago, jono said:

We disagree a lot but you are so right on this one. This, in a sense, is at least as big as Leicester’s against the odds title win. Is there anywhere as unfashionable as Luton ? Their ground is an anachronism even in the championship. It’s a throwback to another age. On top of that you get the EFL’s example making from 10/12 years ago. Whatever wrongdoing they were punished for, the sanctions were hugely disproportionate. I went with Luton fans to Alfreton Town at their lowest ebb during the Christmas holidays (DCFC were away) They outnumbered the home fans, it was a football and life education for me. When you get what being a supporter really means. It is vastly different but magical for all that. In this corporate experienced based entertainment enterprise ..there are still real sporting moments where the spirit of the game breathes freely. 

Nephew (with some coaching ) says target is 12 points and beat Forest .. 

they’ll get 6 points. Beat Forest twice. And still finish second bottom, cos Forest will o my get 5 points. 

5 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

agree with opinion that it will be equalled or beaten on day

Theoretically, if you assume no one will ever get zero points, there is a finite low point. Is it 1, is it 2, is it 3. Or is it 11. I suppose we won’t know unless it’s beaten one day. And maybe that one day will be hundreds of years in the future. 

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Whilst I'm more than happy to read/listen to/accept/respect your opinion, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with your reference of "Trying to make it sound worse...".  As if I have some sort of agenda?  🤷‍♂️
I can assure you I wasn't trying to do anything other than explaining my own thought process behind my opinion... and I hasten to add, my opinion on this subject is far from strong... no more than a brief chat with mates, purely because it's on topic.  I'm on no soap box here, for the record!

But I do hold the belief that both 45% and 55% (respectively) being described as "extremely close" is a tad far-fetched.  Apologies if that upsets/offends you in anyway.  🐏🍻

You dont need to post this same sort of message everytime someone responds to you in a non jokey manner. Its a discussion board. If you dont want to discuss just leave it there. Think the only responses i ever get from you are variations on this same post.

I have no idea why you are trying to make out once again that nobody ever got close to our points total by once again quoting your percentages, but crack on if you can't see why that is intentionally misleading.

6 hours ago, GenBr said:

You dont need to post this same sort of message everytime someone responds to you in a non jokey manner. Its a discussion board. If you dont want to discuss just leave it there. Think the only responses i ever get from you are variations on this same post.

I have no idea why you are trying to make out once again that nobody ever got close to our points total by once again quoting your percentages, but crack on if you can't see why that is intentionally misleading.

Have you not just posted the same sort of message, by response?🤷‍♂️

Now I’m really confused! 🙄

Luckily, I don’t recall any previous interactions, so I’ve no idea whether this is a habit of yours or not. 🤷‍♂️

I still, however, take offence that you accuse me of being “intentionally misleading” by simply stating a mathematical fact!  Luckily, it’s only forum- offensive, and not real life offensive, so if that is your aim, “crack on”, as the hipsters say!  

Here’s to The Rams getting 55% more points next season, than last!  🍻🐏

13 hours ago, GenBr said:

So 2 teams got extremely close to our points total and people still dont think it will ever happen in the decades of premier league football still to come. Trying to make it sound worse with percentages doesnt change how close they got!

It never felt like they were close to beating our record though just had a check and villa had 12 pts after 22 games and Huddersfield had 11 pts after 22 games (14 pts after 28), we need someone to have about 6 pts after 20 games for it to be on 

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

It never felt like they were close to beating our record though just had a check and villa had 12 pts after 22 games and Huddersfield had 11 pts after 22 games (14 pts after 28), we need someone to have about 6 pts after 20 games for it to be on 

Huddersfield got 3 points from first 10 games so had a worse start than us. The key is to start badly and then fall away. 

Edited by PistoldPete

3 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Even that doesn't really give us much hope, as Sheff Utd proved.

They had 2 points after 16 games, 5 points after 19 games so it looked a possibility.

Nope. They reached the magic 11 after game 22.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Don’t think it will happen and I hope it doesn’t. Want Luton to stick it up the premier league due to all the snobbery around their promotion, particularly from red dogs who think they’re Billy big b******* and getting in Europe next season 

Agree with this.

Luton have worked hard to get into the premier league. I’ve no strong feelings about them, it’s not a particularly great place to visit but so what.

We own that 11 point badge for all that went wrong pre season and during it, so I’m not going to wish it on Luton.

As regards Luton and our record - I very much doubt it. I can see them really getting in the faces of the visitors and being a place that teams won't enjoy going. Visits to Kenilworth Road might turn out to be the new 'Cold February night in Stoke'. A trip to Luton will be one to face a physical, direct hard working, well organised team in a small ramshackle stadium with the crowd breathing down your neck. I think they'll upset a few teams on their own turf.

In general terms, I just can't see anyone arriving with such a perfect storm of negative factors to a produce behinds the scenes problems, managerial upheaval and woeful signings and then manage to find a way to underperform as well. Just on the law of averages, terrible teams still will win 2 or 3 games in a season (even if its daylight robbery) and then a few draws gets them comfortably over the 11 point line.

As others have said. I also really hope that they and stay up and ruffle some feathers while doing it.

On 29/05/2023 at 23:21, GenBr said:

I'd argue that percentages are valid here. Without context a 5 or 6 point gap seems like nothing, but we have to consider that we're dealing with sides who are so bad that every point is weighted with far more significance.

An extreme example would be that a 3 point basketball game would be considered extremely close, whereas a 3-0 football game is a canter for the winners.

Edited by Anon