Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

Young u18s squad today suggests a young team travelling to Boro for u21s tomorrow. Hoping that means we will see a few u21s stepping up for the EFL trophy game against Wolves u21s…

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

17 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Young u18s squad today suggests a young team travelling to Boro for u21s tomorrow. Hoping that means we will see a few u21s stepping up for the EFL trophy game against Wolves u21s…

I see the K Gordon the third is on the bench. 

Edited by tinman

3 hours ago, Banksy said:

I'm led to believe that Dajaune Brown is not travelling with the U21 team to Middlesbrough tomorrow so it seems he will probably going with the first team to Crewe.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn stil missing, so Brown is currently 3rd choice CF and should be in the first team squad for the time being

Probably why Lennon Wheeldon was absent from the U18 team sheet today then.

Wheeldon, Thompson, Hawkins and probably 2/3 others from u18 will be with u21s tomorrow.

Evans (Loan) Radcliffe, Johnson (injured) Brown and I think 1/2 others with first team will all be unavailable. 

Will be a very different game for them than the young u21 team of Man City last week. 

39 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Wheeldon, Thompson, Hawkins and probably 2/3 others from u18 will be with u21s tomorrow.

Evans (Loan) Radcliffe, Johnson (injured) Brown and I think 1/2 others with first team will all be unavailable. 

Will be a very different game for them than the young u21 team of Man City last week. 

Those who have stepped up from the U18s in recent weeks appear to have strengthened the U21 side. It seems an odd comment to be in any way dismissive of a win against any side put out by Manchester City, especially when it was our first victory in PL2 for two seasons; and an outstanding performance to boot against a side that drew 3-3 at Arsenal yesterday. It would be a surprise to me if those who have stepped up don't feature regularly in the U21 team going forward given the recent performances. They have proved they can shine at that level.

Edited by Banksy

37 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Those who have stepped up from the U18s in recent weeks appear to have strengthened the U21 side. It seems an odd comment to be in any way dismissive of a win against any side put out by Manchester City, especially when it was our first victory in PL2 for two seasons; and an outstanding performance to boot against a side that drew 3-3 at Arsenal yesterday. It would be a surprise to me if those who have stepped up don't feature regularly in the U21 team going forward given the recent performances. They have proved they can shine at that level.

Just now, ExiledinDerby said:
40 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Expand  

Those who have played up have with respect played in games where they can grow and develop. I’ve watched a few games over the last few years at this level and I am simply being honest. 

None of them keep out regular u21 players who I have mentioned if they are available. I expect Thompson to start tomorrow and Evans to be on the bench as he has played a full 90 today and is on loan until next week. Ridd is not available due to illness.

Hawkins and Wheeldon will start on the bench and get minutes as neither replaces first choice players in their positions. Potentially Wheeldon gets a start with Brown and porentially another forward being with the first team. 

I’m not criticising them or recent results more being honest about the situation. They will play more and more over the season as they develop but at present they are doing just that developing. 

34 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Those who have played up have with respect played in games where they can grow and develop. I’ve watched a few games over the last few years at this level and I am simply being honest. 

None of them keep out regular u21 players who I have mentioned if they are available. I expect Thompson to start tomorrow and Evans to be on the bench as he has played a full 90 today and is on loan until next week. Ridd is not available due to illness.

Hawkins and Wheeldon will start on the bench and get minutes as neither replaces first choice players in their positions. Potentially Wheeldon gets a start with Brown and porentially another forward being with the first team. 

I’m not criticising them or recent results more being honest about the situation. They will play more and more over the season as they develop but at present they are doing just that developing. 

Of course they are developing as they were in the U18s that have turned us around at that level since January. A big part of rebuilding and improving the U21 was that as those deemed ready to move up to the U21 would help to strengthen the U21 side when they got there and so far they have done just that; in the past month they've let no one down and have improved the side whilst also developing. The last thing the academy wants is for the U21 side to finish bottom again this season if it can be avoided. This week, Brown, Thompson and Davidson will probably play in the Youth Cup at Mansfield because the club will want to go as far as they can in that competition but I expect them to be competing for a place in the next PL2 U21 game next month unless their present performances decline. Thompson has been preferred to Ridd on merit and it's up to Ridd to turn that around if he can when he's better. Age isn't everything and performance counts for a lot. As Cloughie always told us, if they're good enough they're old enough and that bit hasn't changed in 50 years. Brown hasn't been considered for the first team squad because of his age, it's because he's the only striker good enough from the academy at present. The way Allen is performing in the U18 side makes me think he may soon feature regularly in the U21 side in the near future and McAndrew may follow now he's back from injury. I'd be very surprised if Bucko is as cautious as you seem to want him to be.

Edited by Banksy