Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brought on for injury time against Wigan and Burton. Then brought on at LW for 30 mins against Oxford, and started against Fleetwood and Peterborough because "there was no one else". We've since Signed Fornah, so the chances of Thompson getting game time at CM are very small.

I’m sure he would of played more games if he hadn’t got injured

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

21 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I think you only have to look at the 16s losing like that to tell you everything you need to know. 

I’m hoping the whole of the academy are embarrassed by that. My mate said they conceded 19 goals in 5 X 40 minute games. 

They lost 2-0 to palace, 3-0 to villa and drew 2-2 with Everton. 

21 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

There's many reasons the academy is where it is right now. 

Do I think the new academy structure will work - Yes I do. Will it take time - probably longer than the 2-3 years what has been mentioned but I do think we'll see quick progress.

I only get to see some academy games and from what I've seen and heard, the U16's have struggled as a team but do still have a few players that have a chance. @ExiledinDerbywill probably agree, all of the talk in the age groups currently is around the U15s and this is possibly where the 2-3 years comes from. They have some real talent in that team but they also play really well as a team. 

I'd expect in the next 2 years we'll see some potential come through. 

But back to your original question, Omari's younger brother had already told Derby they were leaving before DW left - would they have left if they knew changes were coming - who knows?? 

Agree the u15 are indeed a talented group who are definitely showing some promise. The u15 season is always a strange one with no real games programme and the better ones (normally already scholarship) offered playing up at u16… It’s a funny time and between then and the end of u16 I would say that normally 2 or 3 of the ones definitely going to make it do fall away and then more again going from u16 up to full time scholars.

I would always say that to spot a player at 13/14 is hard and at 9/10 almost impossible. The jumps from schoolboy to scholar and then scholar to u21 are huge each time and some no matter how good just can’t make those jumps. Then you have the jump from u21 - first team which is like all of the previous jumps added together multiplied by 5….. 

Thats why steady development out of the public eye including good loans to experience mens football are so important and this is what I think the club is doing well now.

IMO and of course that isn’t worth much we have 6/8 players between u21/u18 who could make the jump to first team in the next 2 years and that would create a strong nucleus of a squad who “know the club”…

I just hope they get that opportunity as their talent is definitely high enough..

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I might pop over to this if it's not raining too hard. Wouldn't want it to be all Mansfield supporters! 

Will be a very young Derby team I think. Be good for some of the u18s to get a chance at this level. 

21 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I believe so. Wasn't it said that it would be useful for players not getting regular first team football, and to help the youngsters develop against seasoned pros?

It sort of is.

Mansfield played 3 u18s and 2 u16s in the last game as they and many others in this league don’t have an u21 programme. 

For us it will be a chance for u18s to be tested up an age group, u21s who aren’t starters in PL2 and occasionally first team squad members coming back from injury.

i know some think this is similar to the old reserve league. It’s not I’m afraid. 

9 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Agree the u15 are indeed a talented group who are definitely showing some promise. The u15 season is always a strange one with no real games programme and the better ones (normally already scholarship) offered playing up at u16… It’s a funny time and between then and the end of u16 I would say that normally 2 or 3 of the ones definitely going to make it do fall away and then more again going from u16 up to full time scholars.

I would always say that to spot a player at 13/14 is hard and at 9/10 almost impossible. The jumps from schoolboy to scholar and then scholar to u21 are huge each time and some no matter how good just can’t make those jumps. Then you have the jump from u21 - first team which is like all of the previous jumps added together multiplied by 5….. 

Thats why steady development out of the public eye including good loans to experience mens football are so important and this is what I think the club is doing well now.

IMO and of course that isn’t worth much we have 6/8 players between u21/u18 who could make the jump to first team in the next 2 years and that would create a strong nucleus of a squad who “know the club”…

I just hope they get that opportunity as their talent is definitely high enough..

My mates just text me to say the U15s beat Leicester tonight 4-1 in a cup game 😀 ️ 

46 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

My mates just text me to say the U15s beat Leicester tonight 4-1 in a cup game 😀 ️ 

I don’t know much about Leicester to be honest but they have some decent players at the top end of the system.

As I said I agree the u15s have some talent but and I say this respectfully, let’s see how many are still at the club in 3/4 years and how many are ready to move into the first team. I hope all the whole squad but I honestly doubt it.

Also if they are being watched by bigger clubs u15 is commonly when you see the first ones being bought as it means reduced prices, so any now would be the time to see them move. 

It must be difficult to predict in the younger age groups whether a youngster is going to make it or not.

All you have to go on is potential, with no way to know whether a player will fulfill that potential or not. You often hear it said that it's not the most talented that make it, but the most dedicated and hard working.

I remember when I was at senior school. There was a lad in the year above me who was the most amazing football player. I'd see him out most days, in all weathers, kicking a ball about. On the local rec, he'd dribble the ball for 15-20 minutes at a time, with half a dozen of us chasing him, snapping at his heels, trying to tackle him, and we could never get the ball off him.

He literally ran rings round us.

Any way, he had trials at most, if not all the football clubs in the Midlands and wasn't offered anything.

Indeed. You only have to look at our own fan base. There was a time people were comparing Sibley and Bellingham….

Unfortunately Potential is just potential until realised and that’s at 23/24 not at 18

Even Delap, Gordon and Kellyman are still in the potential bracket and there are a myriad of pitfalls that hopefully won’t materialise for them.. 

4 years ago there was a goalkeeper in the Academy Alfie Roberts.. played for England at 15/16, watched by all the big clubs, raved about within the club, early scholarship and pro deal, agents and the scouts talking about him being the no. 1 for England in a few years….

He was released last year, anyone remember him? Probably not. 

That’s unfortunately the story of many going from schoolboy to scholar to pro to first team. 

That's why I think it’s best not to rush them, let them develop away from the hype and b******* and when they are ready they are ready. For some it will be earlier than others but let’s not rush them or put wonder kid tags on them. 

There are many posters here much more knowledgeable about the Academy and the players in it than me. But personally I find it really disappointing that we are the biggest club in League One with a Category A academy, yet don't have a single homegrown player under 21 in the the first choice matchday squad. I am not counting Jake Rooney as homegrown, and Bird, Cashin, Sibley are all established players now who emerged several years ago. 

4 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

There are many posters here much more knowledgeable about the Academy and the players in it than me. But personally I find it really disappointing that we are the biggest club in League One with a Category A academy, yet don't have a single homegrown player under 21 in the the first choice matchday squad. I am not counting Jake Rooney as homegrown, and Bird, Cashin, Sibley are all established players now who emerged several years ago. 

Because we had all our best players poached from us mainly due to our financial position.

Delap, Gordon, Kellyman 

26 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Thompson who is only 21 was in the squad until his injury,

Robinson who is only 18 has been in several matchday squads this season.