The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Could it be double-bluff? Ben Earl being quoted as being "excited" by the novel new game plan. I wonder what he means?

Apart from not having the size up front to out-muscle the boks, we don't really have a lot of pace.

So what's left.....endless box-kicking?

Beats me. We've not been bad and at times we've been very good, but you need structure and a clear and executable gameplan to beat teams as good as this Saffa collective and I don't see either. That said, a win tomorrow and I'll not be sober until Monday at the earliest and I'm mindful that we smashed the Kiwis under similar expectations*

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Could it be double-bluff? Ben Earl being quoted as being "excited" by the novel new game plan. I wonder what he means?

Well Rorke's drift in 1879 might be a good start 😉, After watching last nights game I fear for us, So I'm going for us playing in green and yellow shirts...white shorts and green and yellow socks to fool them Boks 😊 

Tough on the lads as that last scrum pen and arguably the one before went to the wrong team. That said, you have to be proud of the way they put it up to SA. I think they've proved a good few wrong, myself included, but we won't always get the conditions we had tonight and I still worry that we have little attacking threat right now. 

I thought that England were tactically spot on but unfortunately we didn't have a handful of giants and beasts to bring on at the end.

Unfortunately I always feel that Sinclar is a penalty waiting to happen, both in and out of the scrum

Having said that the England players should be proud of what they've achieved in this world cup

12 minutes ago, cstand said:

Lost in the scrum giving penalties away

Said to my lad from 56 minutes the boks plan was to destroy us by the scrum; so close to a huge upset really and tactically spot on.

Defence was brilliant but their scrum was just brutally stronger.

Huge credit to England, never expected that game, shame it was so close.

After the lord mayor's show perhaps, but hoping we again show some heart. Would have loved to see old warriors like Marler and Cole playing, especially given Argentina play their strongest possible team and pack, but we get another look at Arundell. Not sure why we're resting players who are retiring, but heyho, I guess it's really all about tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

After the lord mayor's show perhaps, but hoping we again show some heart. Would have loved to see old warriors like Marler and Cole playing, especially given Argentina play their strongest possible team and pack, but we get another look at Arundell. Not sure why we're resting players who are retiring, but heyho, I guess it's really all about tomorrow.

Another battling performance. England are not pretty to watch but they are much tougher to beat now. Their tackling has been immense. I just wish we had more faith in our backs. The plan seems to be to take the hit and wait for the forwards.

Arundell doesn’t fit in this set-up. We never pass the ball through the back line. The only chances he will get will be on the blind side where he’ll have to run back in to the pitch to get help.

Steward is our best full back. Ford is our best attacking fly half (Farrell is the pragmatic choice). I can’t see a place for Marcus Smith.

We need to find a scrum half to set the tempo and pick big strong wingers who will be trusted with the ball more than the speedy littluns.

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Another battling performance. England are not pretty to watch but they are much tougher to beat now. Their tackling has been immense. I just wish we had more faith in our backs. The plan seems to be to take the hit and wait for the forwards.

Arundell doesn’t fit in this set-up. We never pass the ball through the back line. The only chances he will get will be on the blind side where he’ll have to run back in to the pitch to get help.

Steward is our best full back. Ford is our best attacking fly half (Farrell is the pragmatic choice). I can’t see a place for Marcus Smith.

We need to find a scrum half to set the tempo and pick big strong wingers who will be trusted with the ball more than the speedy littluns.

Pretty much agree with all the above. 

The current game plan doesn't allow for any flair or risk to be taken, its all very methodical. 

Can't really remember phase after phase of backs and forwards play. Hate to say it, but Farrell after 3 or 4 phases tends to either launch it skywards or put through a grubber and momentum is lost.

No 10 is the problem that Borthwick needs to sort out. 

Smith looked lost last night and was targeted and smashed by the Argie back line. Can't see him playing there in the 6 nations apart from Italy maybe. 

One thing I'll tip my hat towards England for is that in all of their big games in this tournament they made sure they got a fast start and put points on the scoreboard to put teams under pressure. 

It would have been interesting to see them try to come back from say a 10 point deficit and if their style of play would've  changed. 

Onto tonight, I don't really care who wins, as long as its close and exciting. 

On 28/10/2023 at 09:13, Anag Ram said:

On 28/10/2023 at 15:07, CWC1983 said:

Pretty much agree with all the above. 

The current game plan doesn't allow for any flair or risk to be taken, its all very methodical. 

Can't really remember phase after phase of backs and forwards play. Hate to say it, but Farrell after 3 or 4 phases tends to either launch it skywards or put through a grubber and momentum is lost.

No 10 is the problem that Borthwick needs to sort out. 

Smith looked lost last night and was targeted and smashed by the Argie back line. Can't see him playing there in the 6 nations apart from Italy maybe. 

One thing I'll tip my hat towards England for is that in all of their big games in this tournament they made sure they got a fast start and put points on the scoreboard to put teams under pressure. 

It would have been interesting to see them try to come back from say a 10 point deficit and if their style of play would've  changed. 

Onto tonight, I don't really care who wins, as long as its close and exciting. 

I think the 'current plan' needs needs stowing in the 2003 holdall. We don't have a pack like SA so we might as well stop trying to ape them. The Kiwis were the better side in the final and they have shown a blueprint for beating the 'power' sides, by simply moving them around, but to do that, you must put the ball through hands. Players like Arundell and Cadan Murphy need to be in our side, otherwise we have no attacking threat and rely on kicking a few pens and defending like maniacs. That's not a sensible plot.