Place to vist near Derby

Hello, I'm Chanyoung Lee from South Korea, and Derby County supporter. I'm visiting Derby in early August this year, and currently booking hotels and looking for place to visit.

I love historical place, but also want to visit decent brewery or distillery near Derby (probably Burton). I heard The Jim Smith Room is for every topic, so I uploaded the post here.

HI There, there is a wealth of history to visit whilst you're in our beautiful part of the world.

Yes, Burton-on-Trent is known for it's breweries and I'm sure there's brewery tours you book, but you could also try the Leadmill Brewery in Heanor for a small place and of course the Brunswck Inn in Derby. Sadly the Bass mueseum shut down i think.

There is a Distillery making Gin and Whiskey near Ambergate:

https://www.whitepeakdistillery.co.uk/

Historical places worth visinting:

Derwent Valley Mills world heritage site - covers a stretch of the Dewent from Belper up to Matlock, Cromford Mill is good to visit (although I had to do it in school history lessons).

Crich Tramway village - you can rde up and down on trams to your heart's content.

The Heights of Abraham, you can go for a cable car ride in Matlock bath. OK, it's not the most dramatic cable car ride in the world and it has been more the 25 years since I've done it, but it's nice.

Matlock Bath - very much the feel of a trditional british holiday resort, by which i mean fish and chip shops and amusment arcades and alcohol.

There's 2 good museums in Derby itself, the museum of making and the Derby Museaum and Art gallery.

I hope that helps, but I'd certainly recommend spending a day going to the Matlock bit of the county, it's half an hour on the train and gets you to the start of where Derbyshire becomes the Peak District.

I hope that helps.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

HI There, there is a wealth of history to visit whilst you're in our beautiful part of the world.

Yes, Burton-on-Trent is known for it's breweries and I'm sure there's brewery tours you book, but you could also try the Leadmill Brewery in Heanor for a small place and of course the Brunswck Inn in Derby. Sadly the Bass mueseum shut down i think.

There is a Distillery making Gin and Whiskey near Ambergate:

https://www.whitepeakdistillery.co.uk/

Historical places worth visinting:

Derwent Valley Mills world heritage site - covers a stretch of the Dewent from Belper up to Matlock, Cromford Mill is good to visit (although I had to do it in school history lessons).

Crich Tramway village - you can rde up and down on trams to your heart's content.

The Heights of Abraham, you can go for a cable car ride in Matlock bath. OK, it's not the most dramatic cable car ride in the world and it has been more the 25 years since I've done it, but it's nice.

Matlock Bath - very much the feel of a trditional british holiday resort, by which i mean fish and chip shops and amusment arcades and alcohol.

There's 2 good museums in Derby itself, the museum of making and the Derby Museaum and Art gallery.

I hope that helps, but I'd certainly recommend spending a day going to the Matlock bit of the county, it's half an hour on the train and gets you to the start of where Derbyshire becomes the Peak District.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for very detailed information. I want to visit Matlock Town FC as well, they once recommend me at Twitter!

30 minutes ago, Chanyoung Lee said:

Hello, I'm Chanyoung Lee from South Korea, and Derby County supporter. I'm visiting Derby in early August this year, and currently booking hotels and looking for place to visit.

I love historical place, but also want to visit decent brewery or distillery near Derby (probably Burton). I heard The Jim Smith Room is for every topic, so I uploaded the post here.

Hey up mate, are you able to drive or will you be relying on public transport? There is plenty to see in Derbyshire but if you are relying on public transport you might be sitting on buses for quite a while!

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Hey up mate, are you able to drive or will you be relying on public transport? There is plenty to see in Derbyshire but if you are relying on public transport you might be sitting on buses for quite a while!

I cannot drive so need to rely on Public transport. Fortunately I got my 16-25 rail card and get how to use trainline now, so I can book train cheaply though!

37 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The train network around Derbyshire isn't the most extensive, the line up to Matlock is good though.

You can get around on busses OK, but they do take some planning and time.

I concur re: the train to matlock, plus RW sums up the historical places well!

Have a look if any Derby coach companies do day trips too. Chatsworth House is difficult to get to with public transport but there might be a coach company that would take you straight there and back in a day.

Edited by TuffLuff

If you like football and history you can go and watch Sheffield FC. The oldest football team in the world. They actually play in Dronfield just outside Sheffield (30 mins by train from Derby then probably a short bus ride). Only 2 teams have got the FIFA medal of merit, Real Madrid and Sheffield FC.

And if you are making the long trip from SK to the the UK, you've got to include London, one of the great cities of the world. Chances are you'll land there I guess. Fastest trains around 90mins.

Have a great trip.

18 hours ago, Chanyoung Lee said:

I would wait until the fixtures are released before booking anything and try to take in the first game or two of the new season. 

On 12/05/2023 at 16:00, Chanyoung Lee said:

Thank you for very detailed information. I want to visit Matlock Town FC as well, they once recommend me at Twitter!

Do Belper Town instead. Closer to Derby as well. Must say though, Matlock/Belper league games usually start a fair bit later so you’re likely looking at a friendly… but that could mean you get to see them v Derby u21s. 

The National Brewery Centre in Burton is closed at the moment because Molson Coors head office is relocating to the site over the next year or so, and the museum etc is being moved to a different site. 

Edited by Srg