Things you don't miss

sage

23 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Outside toilet with strips of Daily Mirror hanging as toilet paper

Newspapers these days are nowhere up to the quality of days gone by, The print comes off on your a**e.

Edited by Miggins

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

... handed down clothes... 

Now that, I didn't mind so much.

My big sisters all looked after their clothes, to be fair.

*PS... If @Henrycav81 comes on spouting his mouth off about that last comment, it's all lies!  👀

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

limited Sunday night (religion based) television, sharing/re-using bathwater as a child, handed down clothes, relying on others/parents, Nigel Clough's mentality/philosophy as Derby manager, Teresa May.

Little did we know it would get even worse though

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Little did we know it would get even worse though

Speaking of sharing bathwater, Sage, my mum and dad were married in 1952 and went to live with my dad's parents for the first two years of their married life.  My grandad was the caretaker of the local primary school and brought the roller towels from the toilets home for my grandma to wash and iron. My mum was horrified to find that the water for her tin bath in the kitchen was the same water that Grandma had boiled the school towels in.

Paedos in the park (which I admit sounds like a festival happening over Bank Holiday weekend in Dorset but it wasn't)

Football hooliganism - yes, it made it all electric but it was really boring not being able to walk to the station for fear of getting run

Fillings without anaesthetic - just a small one, you don't need an injection for that

Only one television in the house

Holidays in Rhyl, Scarborough or Mablethorpe

School bullies ("borrow me 10p" used the be the favourite call of the one at our school)

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Holidays in Rhyl

Went there probably 3 or 4 times in the 80s. Used to love the Sun Centre, but the place was pretty grim aside that.

In October, I went over there to meet some family as my younger brother was playing Bowls for Scotland in the Home Nations competition there. The place has been severely neglected for so long that it's saddening. But they were clearly trying to spruce the place up. It was dead though.

Back in the 80s, or maybe early 90s, we went 2 consecutive years. It was okay the first year, but the following year, the decline was rapid and shocking. We stayed in same hotel, but everything around us was boarded up, there were prostitutes on the street outside and dealers and pimps around. My dad cut the holiday short after about 3 days and then we went to Penzance the following year.

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

School I hated it, I went to a Secondary Modern 1972-1977 the majority of the teachers were bullies any confidence I may have had was knocked out of me by teachers who said we were all thick, I dreaded going there and of course the dreaded school cane. The only thing I enjoyed was PE and History. 

Any more PE at school and I’d have BEEN History!

my grandparents' outside toilet

My grandad had an outside toilet and I was puzzled because there was no flush mechanism. It turned out that you had to take a bucket of water with you. There was a makers mark on the toilet which said 'The Parthenon' Very grand. There were lots of cobwebs and invertebrates in the closet. It was out of use by the time I discovered it and I found it rather spooky.

Went there probably 3 or 4 times in the 80s. Used to love the Sun Centre, but the place was pretty grim aside that.

In October, I went over there to meet some family as my younger brother was playing Bowls for Scotland in the Home Nations competition there. The place has been severely neglected for so long that it's saddening. But they were clearly trying to spruce the place up. It was dead though.

Back in the 80s, or maybe early 90s, we went 2 consecutive years. It was okay the first year, but the following year, the decline was rapid and shocking. We stayed in same hotel, but everything around us was boarded up, there were prostitutes on the street outside and dealers and pimps around. My dad cut the holiday short after about 3 days and then we went to Penzance the following year.

A few years back Rhyl was the murder capital of the UK per head of population.  Not sure if it still is.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Loose tea

Struggling to start a fire in the hearth on a freezing winter morning (bet the Florist chairman has some sound advice)

Chimney fires. We had a really difficult bend in ours where soot accumulated.

Mum and dad used to put an old kettle on the fire for tea and coffee. It was black on the outside and full of loose limescale on the inside. To this day I will only drink two thirds of a mug of coffee to avoid any potential detritus at the bottom!!