Things you don't miss

sage

23 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Went there probably 3 or 4 times in the 80s. Used to love the Sun Centre, but the place was pretty grim aside that.

In October, I went over there to meet some family as my younger brother was playing Bowls for Scotland in the Home Nations competition there. The place has been severely neglected for so long that it's saddening. But they were clearly trying to spruce the place up. It was dead though.

Back in the 80s, or maybe early 90s, we went 2 consecutive years. It was okay the first year, but the following year, the decline was rapid and shocking. We stayed in same hotel, but everything around us was boarded up, there were prostitutes on the street outside and dealers and pimps around. My dad cut the holiday short after about 3 days and then we went to Penzance the following year.

Ditto so many UK seaside towns, sadly. I go to Blackpool once a year for a festival and it's just so sad - it simply has no choice but to be that place where young kids (and grannies tbf) go to just get crazy drunk, vomit in door ways and just be as unpleasant as possible. The council can't stop it, coz it's the only thing that is bringing money into the town. And it tarnishes every effort they make to break out of that cycle. Yet they hate it, obviously.

22 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Holidays in Rhyl...

22 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Went there probably 3 or 4 times in the 80s. Used to love the Sun Centre, but the place was pretty grim aside that.

In October, I went over there to meet some family as my younger brother was playing Bowls for Scotland in the Home Nations competition there. The place has been severely neglected for so long that it's saddening. But they were clearly trying to spruce the place up. It was dead though.

Back in the 80s, or maybe early 90s, we went 2 consecutive years. It was okay the first year, but the following year, the decline was rapid and shocking. We stayed in same hotel, but everything around us was boarded up, there were prostitutes on the street outside and dealers and pimps around. My dad cut the holiday short after about 3 days and then we went to Penzance the following year.

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A few years back Rhyl was the murder capital of the UK per head of population.  Not sure if it still is.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Ditto so many UK seaside towns, sadly. I go to Blackpool once a year for a festival and it's just so sad - it simply has no choice but to be that place where young kids (and grannies tbf) go to just get crazy drunk, vomit in door ways and just be as unpleasant as possible. The council can't stop it, coz it's the only thing that is bringing money into the town. And it tarnishes every effort they make to break out of that cycle. Yet they hate it, obviously.

Lovely cycle path along that coastline...

Conwy... Llandudno... even the smaller Rhos on Sea... all more than nice enough, in the seaside resort league.

The further East you go... Towyn... Kinmel Bay... Rhyl... Prestatyn... the more grim it gets!  😲
We literally do it for the ride.  There is absolutely no other reason for us to head there.  The more flying the visit, the better!  

I went to Fairbourne on holiday when I was a kid - remembered it as paradise. Few years ago I decided to go back, full of expectation for the place of wonder in my childhood memory bank. Expected rolling sand, dunes and lovely stone cottages. All I can say is "what a dump"!

Interestingly, it is now the first village in the UK that has been designated as unsalvagable from rising sea levels. Hard to think what is worth saving, though I might not say that if I'd lived there all my life.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/18/this-is-a-wake-up-call-the-villagers-who-could-be-britains-first-climate-refugees

Another interesting thing on the Welsh, while we are here. You know the DNA analysis you can do that shows where you are from? In general, people from south Wales and north Wales share very little common DNA when tested. What this means is that until the Romans / English etc put a border in place, and indeed after, they never interacted at all - mainly due to the mountains in between. So when someone tells you of the proud Welsh history and their national pride you might want to remind them that people from north and south Wales have as much in common genetically (if that is what you want to consider a national attribute - debatable topic I appreciate, but we're just having a bit of Welsh baiting banter here, nothing more) as someone from Ireland and Iceland.

37 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Another interesting thing on the Welsh, while we are here. You know the DNA analysis you can do that shows where you are from? In general, people from south Wales and north Wales share very little common DNA when tested. What this means is that until the Romans / English etc put a border in place, and indeed after, they never interacted at all - mainly due to the mountains in between. So when someone tells you of the proud Welsh history and their national pride you might want to remind them that people from north and south Wales have as much in common genetically (if that is what you want to consider a national attribute - debatable topic I appreciate, but we're just having a bit of Welsh baiting banter here, nothing more) as someone from Ireland and Iceland.

That's pretty strong to be far . About 40% of people in Iceland- mostly women- have Irish DNA.