Restaurants and that type of thing

TuffLuff

Old thread on this is closed so I’m starting a new one.

In May Im going to Arthur’s in Belper which Im really looking forward to. They are opening a secondary place which serves pizzas and currently have a kickstarter live if anybody fancies handing over somE cash for pizzas. The menu looks incredible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scufflepizza/scuffle-a-pizza-place?fbclid=PAAaaPnKNgA1SlIZtxYvy_g8k48GyuzSlCXHa1DPSHIgLo24w8IXopH-ur10c

FEBC82A3-CDF4-4245-9915-EE5443D1F738.jpeg

The place is tiny, and I don’t get this crowd funding thing, if they can’t afford it at the prices they charge for their 10 course meals in their other place then somethings obviously not working.

People will get their “investment” back in pizza’s once they hit their target. Unless I’ve read the bits I’ve seen wrong.

I hope they can make a go of it, but I fear there’s too much competition for a small eat in pizza restaurant in Belper that will want top end prices that will have people coming in and out all the time collecting takeaways.

In for that reason……

But good luck.

(this post has nothing to do with the fact they won’t entertain doing Gluten Free pizza from the new outlet) 😭

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

I hope they can make a go of it, but I fear there’s too much competition for a small eat in pizza restaurant in Belper that will want top end prices that will have people coming in and out all the time collecting takeaways.

Too much competition? Belper doesn't even have a McDonalds or KFC does it?

Anyone venturing up into the Peaks?. We've just had a great meal (Sunday) at The Barrel Inn at Bretton (near Eyam/Tideswell/Stoney Middleton).

Great food and gorgeous location at the top of a hill, with views of 5 counties apparently. Someone said it's the highest pub in Derbyshire.

This used to be a regular local drinking haunt of mine as a youngster and it was great to go back for the first time in a few years, for a family celebration meal.

Lovely.

13 hours ago, Boycie said:

The place is tiny, and I don’t get this crowd funding thing, if they can’t afford it at the prices they charge for their 10 course meals in their other place then somethings obviously not working.

People will get their “investment” back in pizza’s once they hit their target. Unless I’ve read the bits I’ve seen wrong.

In for that reason……

But good luck.

(this post has nothing to do with the fact they won’t entertain doing Gluten Free pizza from the new outlet) 😭

I get what you mean, but it depends how big they want the restaurant to be I guess. What I mean is lots of what were popular smaller breweries are in a tough position currently because they tried to expand pre pandemic and have been hit since because trade doesn’t match production (lots of reasons why this). So is it more sensible to keep a business making steady money especially at this moment in time. To be honest with the new venture I think they know what their audience is and are making something that should cater to that. I’m more than willing ti give them a go, and I’ve slung them £10 for a pizza from their new place in the hope that one Saturday driving back from Pride Park I’ll be able to go in and pick it up, atleast I’m getting something for the money in the end!

My partner is GF and I’ve made it clear on the meal booking that she will need alternatives where available so I’m interested to see whether they get back to me about it before we go. 

Edited by TuffLuff

22 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

My partner is GF and I’ve made it clear on the meal booking that she will need alternatives where available so I’m interested to see whether they get back to me about it before we go. 

Will she be alright with a plate of Lettuce, cucumber and tomato?

17 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Old thread on this is closed so I’m starting a new one.

In May Im going to Arthur’s in Belper which Im really looking forward to. They are opening a secondary place which serves pizzas and currently have a kickstarter live if anybody fancies handing over somE cash for pizzas. The menu looks incredible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scufflepizza/scuffle-a-pizza-place?fbclid=PAAaaPnKNgA1SlIZtxYvy_g8k48GyuzSlCXHa1DPSHIgLo24w8IXopH-ur10c

FEBC82A3-CDF4-4245-9915-EE5443D1F738.jpeg

Some great beer opposite in Arkwrights

40 minutes ago, sage said:

Some great beer opposite in Arkwrights

Thanks mate, we are staying near Matlock for the week with little one and grandparents so planning our night off here plus a few drinks in Belper before getting the train back so any recommendations are appreciated

37 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thanks mate, we are staying near Matlock for the week with little one and grandparents so planning our night off here plus a few drinks in Belper before getting the train back so any recommendations are appreciated

If you like Real Ale, I'd rank the pubs 

Angels

Arkwright

Railway

Banging Belper

Thorn Tree

Belper House

Devonshire

• 1 month later...

Sorry @Boycie but have to tell you Arthur’s the other night was excellent. Food, staff, how the catered to my partners gluten intolerance, everything about it was top draw. It won’t be to everyone’s taste but for a ‘treat’ dining experience for us both it was exactly what we needed.

And sorry to @sage too, we had eyed up Arkwrights for a drink after but we had to get back to sort the little one out in the end. We will be heading back at some point so hopefully we can take in a few more pubs and bars then.

On a similar note, was really impressed with The Black Swan at Ashover. Only popped in for a pint with the family because I’d driven past it and noted it was a freehouse with its beer list outside. Lovely little pub, good beer and great chips.

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Sorry @Boycie but have to tell you Arthur’s the other night was excellent. Food, staff, how the catered to my partners gluten intolerance, everything about it was top draw. It won’t be to everyone’s taste but for a ‘treat’ dining experience for us both it was exactly what we needed.

And sorry to @sage too, we had eyed up Arkwrights for a drink after but we had to get back to sort the little one out in the end. We will be heading back at some point so hopefully we can take in a few more pubs and bars then.

On a similar note, was really impressed with The Black Swan at Ashover. Only popped in for a pint with the family because I’d driven past it and noted it was a freehouse with its beer list outside. Lovely little pub, good beer and great chips.

Did you have the 10 course meal?

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Did you have the 10 course meal?

5 courses but if/when we went again I’d probably save a bit before going and have 10.

I think in an ideal world I would’ve liked to have paid an extra £10 quid, chosen an extra dish off the 10 course and I think that would be the perfect amount of food for me. But the standard of what we had was excellent and as they say they catered for gluten free really well which I wasn’t expecting. Everything that had gluten in they made the same but a GF version, we just had to let them know in advance 

If you enjoy a tasting menu, I would recommend Stones in Matlock.

It’s always been fantastic, and offers a specific vegetarian/vegan menu, which Arthur’s doesn’t, unfortunately.

http://www.stones-restaurant.co.uk/#food

I have been to Sat Bains in Nottingham too - that is amazing, but is quite pricey for a meal out!  Have to say, it was an experience though.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be in Derby next Friday afternoon for a bit of a pub crawl before going to the County Ground in the evening. Does anybody have any food recommendations we can pop into? I’ve suggested Silk Mill but it’s been a few years since I last went.

Pub recommendations also appreciated as it’s been a few years since I’ve been for drinks in the city

32 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Going to be in Derby next Friday afternoon for a bit of a pub crawl before going to the County Ground in the evening. Does anybody have any food recommendations we can pop into? I’ve suggested Silk Mill but it’s been a few years since I last went.

Pub recommendations also appreciated as it’s been a few years since I’ve been for drinks in the city

https://theforgederby.co.uk

Excellent food last time we were there. Very handy for a pub crawl as well.