Substitutions too late or not .

Curtains

IMO Warne left it too late to get Sibley and White on etc. 

Cashin ,,Rooney and Roberts worked ok but Barks and Nat not wing backs IMO 

Bird still working his way back to full fitness needs to play but I also think Knight and Hourihane are playing ok  

Warne though isn’t far away from getting it right and we are looking for Barnsley and Ipswich favours against Peterborough.

Edited by Curtains

I think so, it’s my biggest concern with Warne. I think the initial set up of the team is so close to working, the intent is there and it appears they understand what’s expected of them, we just need to take chances. 

The problem seems to be Warne waits until the 65th-70th minute to make any changes. The style of play he favours leads to the players “gassing out” by his own admission, he has to be more proactive in managing that and sustaining the levels for me. 3 players introduced sooner would keep the side fresh enough so that hopefully we wouldn’t be in that position of conceding in the second half, or if and when that does happen changes sooner to chase the result would be better. Sibley on at 84 mins yesterday was bafflingly late.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think so, it’s my biggest concern with Warne. I think the initial set up of the team is so close to working, the intent is there and it appears they understand what’s expected of them, we just need to take chances. 

The problem seems to be Warne waits until the 65th-70th minute to make any changes. The style of play he favours leads to the players “gassing out” by his own admission, he has to be more proactive in managing that and sustaining the levels for me. 3 players introduced sooner would keep the side fresh enough so that hopefully we wouldn’t be in that position of conceding in the second half, or if and when that does happen changes sooner to chase the result would be better. Sibley on at 84 mins yesterday was bafflingly late.

Sibley must feel let down after scoring 2 good goals at Oxford.  
Mendis Lang flatters to deceive for me. 
McGoldrick was also poor IMO yesterday .

Barks was awful yesterday 

Edited by Curtains
Added

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not the when often, it's the who and why? There's times the subs come on and it seems like no formation you've ever seen or recognise. 😄

Well Warne tells the players get it forward quickly and that’s the problem IMO.  We need to play a more structured game plan.

I still think Warne isn’t far off tactically but he needs to reassess quicker in games depending on opposition tactics 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well Warne tells the players get it forward quickly and that’s the problem IMO.  We need to play a more structured game plan.

I still think Warne isn’t far off tactically but he needs to reassess quicker in games depending on opposition tactics 

And there-in lies the problem I think, he seems lacking in guile and tactically inflexible when reacting. 

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

And there-in lies the problem I think, he doesn't seem lacking in guile and tactically inflexible. 

He admitted yesterday he thought we would go on and score an 2nd goal but he wasn’t reactive enough. 
How Sibley isn’t brought on earlier baffles me and for that decision alone I’m annoyed with Warne but not completely against how he manages.  

Just now, Curtains said:

He admitted yesterday he thought we would go on and score an 2nd goal but he wasn’t reactive enough. 
How Sibley isn’t brought on earlier baffles me and for that decision alone I’m annoyed with Warne but not completely against how he manages.  

He’ll never get a team out of this league if he doesn’t learn fast!!

In terms of what was available on the bench, if you take out Sibleys long run at lb, when played further forward he by far has the best goals per min ratio. 

And when dominating so much, Dobbins pace wouldn't really be as useful. 

If the ball fell to one of our players in  the box, you'd want it to be McGoldrick, then Hourihane and Sibley. Would perhaps make sense to have all 3 on. But we went for more creators...

Or maybe this is where a young academy striker could have been the hero? Well, if we hadn't loaned everyone out!

I don't think Warne likes to take a risk on his subs.

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Warne said post match if we fall short it’s because we don’t score goals. 
Well you left Sibley out and didn’t replace Osula !

It sounded an odd thing to say I thought, almost a bit like resigned to seventh. 

think an issue yesterday was not needing a back five and wing backs, especially later on. Having wingers starting higher up the pitch pins the other side back. Teams generally going to be happy with fozzy, cash, roberts, Rooney etc carrying the ball and looking for a pass.

we certainly seem to lose a lot of shape when subs come on. 

35 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Osula 5 goals in limited game time, Dobbin 5 goals played in most games,

Not sure what point you’re making with these stats but here’s the fuller picture;

Osula 5 goals and 1 assists in 21 appearances across all competitions, totalling 701 mins. (2 goals 0 assists in 16 league appearances, 3 goals in 3 FA cup games)

Dobbin 5 goals and 6 assists in 50 appearances across all competitions, totalling 2473 mins. (3 goals and 4 assists in 39 league appearances, 1 goal and 1 assist in 5 FA Cup games, 1 assist in 3 Caraboa Cup games, 1 goal in 3 pizza trophy games)

Osula with a better goals/assists per minute ratio but he was recalled/sent back to Sheff United (depending on what narrative you choose to believe) so we’ll never know if he’d have offered more. Personally I think he’d have contributed a fair few more goals as the season wore on.

Dobbin has also contributed to the team and we’d be worse off in terms of league position without his contribution. His goals and assists along with minutes are comparable to Barkhuizen who has 6 goals and 4 assists in 44 appearances overall, totalling 2435 mins.

NML with the best output from the widemen with 8 goals and 10 assists in 46 appearances and the most minutes at 3278.

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Bird still working his way back to full fitness needs to play but I also think Knight and Hourihane are playing ok  

Warne though isn’t far away from getting it right and we are looking for Barnsley and Ipswich favours against Peterborough.

Warne is crap at substitutions, I figured that out a while back, Rosenior was the same. 

McLaren, love him or hate him, knew when to change it.

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Is this based on the result or the performance? 

If replayed, 9 times out of 10 we win that game (ok maybe 8 with Collins' and Dobbin's finishing). Seems a bit of a lazy summary considering how the game played out in real time. "worked ok" - we absolutely battered them. 

Some are simply too late, yes.

Even if they are a little late though it doesn't mean they can't still have an impact. 

For them to make an impact it often  helps if they come alongside a tweak to the tactical approach / formation, something for the opposition to think about.

Often ours don't seem to come with those sort of changes, rather they oncoming player continues in the same vein as the player they're replaces and usually, but not always, to the same result 

Whether that's simply a case of our small squad meaning the replacements don't have enough different qualities to their game for any potential tactical changes to have any real positive effect, or a case of a lack of managerial nous is a matter of opinion but I suppose we won't really know until next year.

Edited by Kokosnuss

20 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Is this based on the result or the performance? 

If replayed, 9 times out of 10 we win that game (ok maybe 8 with Collins' and Dobbin's finishing). Seems a bit of a lazy summary considering how the game played out in real time. "worked ok" - we absolutely battered them. 

Goals win games .

Jimmy Greaves  chipped goalkeepers when 1 on 1 and made it look easy .

We don’t score enough goals 

Edited by Curtains
Added