MK Dons (H) Monday 10th April, 3pm KO

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

He was knackered after Friday. And he was up against Jules and Lewington. Jules is as fast as NMl and it’s to NML’s credit that he made it to the bye line so many times.

Problem is, it’s such an effort to get there and he gets there by such a small margin that his cross is rubbish. Oh and anyway we don’t have players who will score headers in open play even if he gets lucky and hits a good cross. 

Every manager we come up against looks at the videos and sees NML is a threat and our main ‘outlet’. If his team has a fast LB or LM, then the NML threat is contained as it was yesterday. This is not hindsight - NML should not have started yesterday. Barks prefers the right and he and Knight link well. That should have been our starting line up. And if you introduce NML after 65, that’s a sea change for the defence to weather as they tire. 

Warne has told us we have a problem with old players and fatigue. Happened yesterday with Hourihane at 60 and NML was suffering all game. He needs to try making subs that are proactive not reactive. 

Dean Lewington is 39 next month.

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Slightly off topic from the debate about whether we should have won or not, how poor the officials were or how ridiculous the time wasting was, what is it with Smith’s boots? Twice yesterday and twice against Ipswich he had to either take a boot off and put it back on again or just re-tie his laces. As an aside from this, I’ve not been Smith’s biggest fan (too slow on the ball and gets caught in possession too easily) but yesterday I thought he was outstanding.

Yes, I noticed that with Smithy. Actually pondered if was an OCD ritual thing after seeing it  v Ipswich too. Watch this space .. and does he do it before offensive free kicks as if preparing for a break out when it doesn’t go in ? Curious 

I said it a couple of matches ago re NML's enormous crosses. Isn't it about time that when he gets the ball and heads off down the wing one of our wide left layers immediately goes to the far side of the penalty area so  when the inevitably over-hit cross comes sailing over we have someone there completely unmarked to run in and slot the ball home? Or is that a bit to "common sense", a bit too obvious?

4 hours ago, jono said:

Yes, I noticed that with Smithy. Actually pondered if was an OCD ritual thing after seeing it  v Ipswich too. Watch this space .. and does he do it before offensive free kicks as if preparing for a break out when it doesn’t go in ? Curious 

One of the occasions against MKD was after we scored and the players were making their way back ready for the restart. Smith was messing around with his boots in their half. I really don't know what's going on.

My overall thoughts:

- The team selection immediately had me concerned, very inexperienced back three, and Barkhuizen at wing back scares the life out of me, I don’t know why we continue to do it, I can’t think of one good performance he’s had in the role, Sibley, who I’ll get back to, by no means had a blinder at Forest Green, but didn’t do anything to warrant being dropped for an out of form right footed winger, as much as he’s better centrally at least he provides a balance as a left footer at left wing back.

- Despite my initial concerns the first half performance was really good and I was impressed with how ballsy the set up was (credit to Warne), we attacked and got shots off and just weren’t finishing our opportunities, I thought the back three were good throughout, I always like the look of young Rooney, just hope he’s not out the squad again next game, how’s he meant to find any consistency or form if he drops out the next game every time he starts? Only 1-0 up at half time though you could see the second half from a mile off, and it felt as though the players thought it too, everyone was just waiting for an equaliser after the penalty shouts, speaking of, Jason Knight has to do so much better through on goal like that, if he’s as good as we think he is he needs to bring it down and get a shot off rather than ending up wide of the goal looking for a pen. The goal’s an absolute embarrassment, for someone of his build Mendez-Laing should never get out muscled that easily, then he’s too lazy to try and win the ball back, think Barkhuizen’s attempted block was pretty weak too but that might be harsh.

- Finally, the subs were bizarre, I hate making the point over and over because it comes across like I’m his fanboy or something, but at 1-1 and in need of a goal, what possesses you to bring on Max Bird and Harvey White (who’ve both played primarily DM for us, and have 1 league goal between the pair of them) ahead of Louie Sibley, who recently won us the game at Oxford with a brace, and when you do bring him on you give him 5 minutes at wing back to make a difference, it’s f****** mad, I honestly don’t get it, is there any reasonable explanation for that? Why is Knight a guaranteed starter every week whilst Sibley gets the scrap minutes playing at wing back? And why did we take Collins off while he was actually playing pretty well and then start delivering even more crosses with our only out and out number 9 off the pitch? Surely Dobbin could’ve played off of Mcgoldrick and Collins while we were pushing for the goal. So whilst you can’t blame Warne for missed opportunities, you can certainly question his in-game decision making and substitutions, which also came too late once again, it’s made worse that I feel as though we go over this every game and have the same debate every week. 

We need 4 points from these 2 away games, Burton could end up being our biggest game as for deciding if we can achieve playoffs or not.

9 hours ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

My overall thoughts:

- The team selection immediately had me concerned, very inexperienced back three, and Barkhuizen at wing back scares the life out of me, I don’t know why we continue to do it, I can’t think of one good performance he’s had in the role, Sibley, who I’ll get back to, by no means had a blinder at Forest Green, but didn’t do anything to warrant being dropped for an out of form right footed winger, as much as he’s better centrally at least he provides a balance as a left footer at left wing back.

- Despite my initial concerns the first half performance was really good and I was impressed with how ballsy the set up was (credit to Warne), we attacked and got shots off and just weren’t finishing our opportunities, I thought the back three were good throughout, I always like the look of young Rooney, just hope he’s not out the squad again next game, how’s he meant to find any consistency or form if he drops out the next game every time he starts? Only 1-0 up at half time though you could see the second half from a mile off, and it felt as though the players thought it too, everyone was just waiting for an equaliser after the penalty shouts, speaking of, Jason Knight has to do so much better through on goal like that, if he’s as good as we think he is he needs to bring it down and get a shot off rather than ending up wide of the goal looking for a pen. The goal’s an absolute embarrassment, for someone of his build Mendez-Laing should never get out muscled that easily, then he’s too lazy to try and win the ball back, think Barkhuizen’s attempted block was pretty weak too but that might be harsh.

- Finally, the subs were bizarre, I hate making the point over and over because it comes across like I’m his fanboy or something, but at 1-1 and in need of a goal, what possesses you to bring on Max Bird and Harvey White (who’ve both played primarily DM for us, and have 1 league goal between the pair of them) ahead of Louie Sibley, who recently won us the game at Oxford with a brace, and when you do bring him on you give him 5 minutes at wing back to make a difference, it’s f****** mad, I honestly don’t get it, is there any reasonable explanation for that? Why is Knight a guaranteed starter every week whilst Sibley gets the scrap minutes playing at wing back? And why did we take Collins off while he was actually playing pretty well and then start delivering even more crosses with our only out and out number 9 off the pitch? Surely Dobbin could’ve played off of Mcgoldrick and Collins while we were pushing for the goal. So whilst you can’t blame Warne for missed opportunities, you can certainly question his in-game decision making and substitutions, which also came too late once again, it’s made worse that I feel as though we go over this every game and have the same debate every week. 

We need 4 points from these 2 away games, Burton could end up being our biggest game as for deciding if we can achieve playoffs or not.

Who as soon as they had any real threat to them conceded. Can't believe we'll come across a more ineffective strike force than MKD here.

On 11/04/2023 at 20:14, DavesaRam said:

I said it a couple of matches ago re NML's enormous crosses. Isn't it about time that when he gets the ball and heads off down the wing one of our wide left layers immediately goes to the far side of the penalty area so  when the inevitably over-hit cross comes sailing over we have someone there completely unmarked to run in and slot the ball home? Or is that a bit to "common sense", a bit too obvious?

Funnily enough, Collins for all his Ill luck, is often found there. 

On 11/04/2023 at 23:02, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

My overall thoughts:

Think you will find it was Smith not Barkhuizen who missed the block

On 11/04/2023 at 21:40, Tamworthram said:

One of the occasions against MKD was after we scored and the players were making their way back ready for the restart. Smith was messing around with his boots in their half. I really don't know what's going on.

Maybe he’s got a particularly troublesome verruca?