Sexism at Pride Park

IslandExile

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

What is interesting for me on this thread is the number of people who still think it's OK to make a joke / comment about doing the ironing, cleaning etc. I know they think it's funny and, maybe, it is but it just shows that the original point made is not without some likely justification. Imagine if the original post had been about disabled children, do you think there would have been flippant comments in the thread mocking disability? Do you think the comments would have even been left up if that had been the case? And no, I'm not saying being a woman is a disability - you know I'm not - I'm saying that for all our supposed desire to see this from all sides there is still a lot of work to be done by both ourselves and those institutions where we gather, such as Pride Park, to help us along.

I may well be wrong but I reckon the vast majority of people would accept that there is a massive difference between "jokes/comments" about outdated/possibly never valid in the first place gender stereotyping (in both directions but predominantly at women's expense) and jokes/comments about disabled children.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I think you are being reeled in, which often is the very point of the joke. Too many people nowadays are working so hard to take any fun or amusement out of any situation.

I agree, not that I am being reeled in, but that the risk is that the 'leftie brigade' (of which I am probably a lifetime honorary member now) just sit on the sidelines and spend their lives being shocked and horrified at everything. It's the easiest game in the world to play and the weak point of how we fix stuff like this. At the same time, I do stand by the point that there is no smoke without fire in the original post (even if maybe it could have been framed around something a little more constructive and interesting than one Tweet from one fan).

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I may well be wrong but I reckon the vast majority of people would accept that there is a massive difference between "jokes/comments" about outdated/possibly never valid in the first place gender stereotyping (in both directions but predominantly at women's expense) and jokes/comments about disabled children.

A small majority, plus the whole of the Metropolitan Police Force.

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

What is interesting for me on this thread is the number of people who still think it's OK to make a joke / comment about doing the ironing, cleaning etc. I know they think it's funny and, maybe, it is but it just shows that the original point made is not without some likely justification. Imagine if the original post had been about disabled children, do you think there would have been flippant comments in the thread mocking disability? Do you think the comments would have even been left up if that had been the case? And no, I'm not saying being a woman is a disability - you know I'm not - I'm saying that for all our supposed desire to see this from all sides there is still a lot of work to be done by both ourselves and those institutions where we gather, such as Pride Park, to help us along.

I would hope they were ironic right?

On 07/03/2023 at 10:35, Tamworthram said:

Some these things make us all look bad and you get passionate fans men and women and yes disabled fans which I am classed as.

On 06/03/2023 at 10:34, NottmRAM said:

I think you must have been wearing ear plugs at the Baaseball ground in the 80's as there was a chant of "get your tites out for the lads" at every game.

Don't hear anything remotely sexist now.

Bournemouth away, opening game of the 84/85 season. Lost 1-0. Huge Rams following. A good looking blonde WPC was treated to that chant and she burst out laughing. Today you'd have a dozen fans arrested.

That was my last season as an STH. 3 days after the Millwall game at the Den I moved to the Netherlands.