Arthur Cox v Jim Smith

sage

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Still go with Gabbiadini over Goddard 

Gabbiadini’s second touch was usually a tackle, granted he had a decent season when we went up in 96 but wasn’t good enough for the premier league with us, I don’t think he scored a goal for us in the premier league and was sold 

Goddard over Gabbiadini all day for me, the sale of Goddard was the beginning of our decline 

9 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I was a massive fan of both Baiano and Strupar. They were of course very different types, but the Italian magic swung it for me. I never really understood why he seemed to fall out of favour with Jim. But then the same could be said of Asanovic too. McClaren said that in the book Groundwork, he had to be cute in dissuading Jim on some of his views. That book really brings it home to the fact how lucky we were to have McClaren as the young, innovative coach and if when United came calling, we had given him the manager's job and appointed Jim as Director of Football he would have stayed. His departure was the watershed and things were just never the same in the Jim era after he went. Post-millennium years could have been so much better with McClaren at the helm.

My recollection (may be wrong) is we had a poor game and were beaten quite badly and Jim decided it was time to replace flair with solidity, so he dropped Baiano for Daryl Powell. One of the worst decisions in football history and accelerated a swift downward spiral. Of course begun when McClaren left for Man Utd.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My recollection (may be wrong) is we had a poor game and were beaten quite badly and Jim decided it was time to replace flair with solidity, so he dropped Baiano for Daryl Powell. One of the worst decisions in football history and accelerated a swift downward spiral. Of course begun when McClaren left for Man Utd.

So having Mcaren here always seems to coincide with good times. And yet we keep sacking him. This is why we don’t deserve nice things. 

15 minutes ago, sage said:

I wish we'd had a Daryl Powell at Barnsley 

I can remember at the time a lot of fans deriding the fact that we played Daryll Powell together with Lee Carsley in centre midfield. They said it limited us because they were just two willing workhorses. The fact is that in the two seasons they played those roles we finished 8th and ninth in the Premier League. We have not come close to those dizzy heights since.

15 hours ago, enachops said:

Cox:

Shilton

Sage Wright Hindmarch Forsyth

McMinn Williams Gregory Callaghan

Saunders Goddard

Smith:

Poom

Laursen Stimac McGrath Powell

Carsley

Asanovic Eranio

Sturridge Wanchope Baiano