Anybody here with Octopus energy?

Bob The Badger

19 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I’m with Octopus and never had a problem.  Also registered for their saving scheme where there’s 1 hour each month they encourage you to save electric and cash.  They notify you on the day and have register each time which is a bit of pain but only takes a minute.

It’s worth considering not fixing.  I’m on the variable rate and pay a lot less than the fixed tariff I was offered.

We were on holiday for the hour this week so the £3 saving was easy ?

I’m going to spend it on beer and loose women 

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Apologies to @Reggie Greenwoodand those of you who offered me a link. I ended up using the one given to me by @Eatonram seeing as I can only presume he will now feel honour bound to pay for my ticket when I'm up for the Fleetwood game. 

Damned Yanks, coming over here and taking our women and £50 referral discounts on our energy tariffs.

On 17/02/2023 at 18:31, ketteringram said:

We were fine with them , until a couple of years ago when they fitted a smart meter. Ever since then, readings which so called smart meter collects are all over the place. Often not taken at all. Sometimes reads too high, sometime too low. Never matches the actual meter. 

They arranged an engineer visit, for which I took a day off. They didn't turn up. Arranged another one. This time turned up, but guy said there's nothing he can do, as it's a software issue. 

Account is well over £1000 in credit, that's electric only, as gas thankfully with a different supplier. Trying to resolve the smart meter issue ongoing for about 18 months. No sign of being sorted . 

Only form of contact seems to be email, and the conversation is at the rate of about one email per week.

I'm sure you can ask your elec provider to refund the £1000? If you've already asked them and they've refused (and 8 weeks have passed), you can complain to the Energy Ombudsman.

Octopus actually allow you to set the amount you pay each month. When cashflow was a short-term issue for me, I even set it to just £1 for 3 months. They've probably prevent people going to such an extreme now though.

Now, I track my power consumption and set the amount based on what I know I'll use over a year (with my account in debit during winter, and hitting £0 again in summer)

On 18/02/2023 at 12:30, Stive Pesley said:

I was with one of the smaller "green" companies that was one of the first to cease trading. They dumped me with EDF as a default and by the time that deal ended, there was no better deal to switch to elsewhere so I'm still with EDF for now

I'd been with them years ago and not had great experiences, but I have to say that they seem to have fixed my main problem - the old Direct Debit over-charge

I just got an end of year refund for £350 because I'd overpaid. I knew I was overpaying because I knew they had overstated my estimated usage. I then went on the website and clicked an option to request a lower DD amount. They actioned this immediately and automatically without having to debate with a call-centre bod. 

So now I can effectively alter my DD this way every quarter if I feel I'm not quite on track. I wish this had been available years ago. 

Only problem I’ve had with EDF is they keep dropping my DD payments every time I pay an extra payment. I have got an EV and every month I look how much I have spent charging my car and pay the extra payment rather than waiting 6 months and having a larger bill. Every time I do they lower my DD and I have to correct it. Apart from that EDF are ok apart from being 84% owned by the French government but it has made them stable and I have stayed on a lower tariff so far.