Carl Edwards

Gaspode

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Makes sense. Someone Warne knows well and I believe ours has recently left, hasn’t he?

That was Luke Jenkinson who left most recently. He was Head of Sports Science.

Left to join Rooney over at DC United.

Ben Warner was our former Head Performance Analyst, who left to go to Hull with Rosenior.

Not sure if this guy will be heading the department, or if someone else is.

10 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Nice recent article on him. https://apfa.io/the-man-with-a-plan-carl-edwards/

"...Edwards is clear that being able to use tools like Hudl Pro Suite enabled Houston Dynamo to make huge strides forward.

“[It was] vital to us across all levels of the club, from the MLS and NWSL teams where winning is the key, all the way down to the U13s in the Academy where development is the focus. For us, we were able to make huge strides as it provided a streamlined process for the club, where players would undertake their own analysis and coaches created playlists and files of style of play throughout the club.”

The fact that Carl Edwards originally got into the world of analysis through an internship focused on coaching is something that has continued to shape his career. At Auckland, Edwards worked in a Football Development role and he feels it has impacted how he approaches building out analysis structures within the youth space.

“I think player development is important for every club. Obviously, success at a lot of clubs is results-based, however you are seeing a lot of players coming through club academy systems or being brought in at a younger age and being sold for significant amounts of money, or being involved in the first teams on a regular basis.”

“I don’t think a coaching background is essential as a lot of people have a good understanding of the game, however I have personally found the soft skills of knowing the right times to speak to the coaches and what kinds of information the coaches want or need at certain times to be the benefits from my early coaching experiences.”

Edwards is now based in England with Rotherham United, a role that has once again seen him put his ideas to the test in a new environment.

“Obviously there are a lot more games here in England.”

“In League 1 last year, we played over 50 games including cups. I think there are a lot of similarities, more than many realise, and I still work in very much the same way.”

“However, this season we now have a second analyst at the club which means we can work smarter and be more efficient, as well as being able to look at both short and long term”.

Rotherham won the Papa John’s Trophy at Wembley as well as a League 1 promotion in Edwards’ first season but he has still found time to also work on how analysts can increase their collaboration..."

https://apfa.io/about-us/ambassador-carl-edwards/

Meet Carl

Carl is the Head of Analysis at Rotherham United. Originally from New Zealand, Carl previously held the same position at Houston Dynamo in Major League Soccer and Wellington Pheonix in the Australian A-League.  

Carl was also responsible for a nationwide survey in the UK helping gather key information on Analyst salaries, working conditions, staffing structures and facilities to help others better understand their position and improve their working environment. 

10 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

That was Luke Jenkinson who left most recently. He was Head of Sports Science.

Left to join Rooney over at DC United.

Ben Warner was our former Head Performance Analyst, who left to go to Hull with Rosenior.

Not sure if this guy will be heading the department, or if someone else is.

He's going to be the Lead First Team Analyst, replacing Pete Shuttleworth who left for DC United a while back now.