Mayor of Cheltenham Charity Collection

tarranwilson

Good Afternoon Rams,

I hope no one minds me posting in here but I am a Cheltenham Town fan that comes in peace.

I am a member of the Mayor of Cheltenham's charity committee and in our game against the Rams on Saturday 14th January 2023, the Mayor of Cheltenham Charities will be bucket collecting to raise funds for Feed Cheltenham (https://feedcheltenham.weebly.com) and Cheltenham Housing Aid Centre (CHAC) (www.chac.org.uk)

Both of these charities do great work and more information can be found on their websites, links above.

We appreciate during these difficult times, finding extra money to support charity is difficult for all of us, but if all fans donated just 20p the potential is there to raise over £1000 for these incredible charities.

We will be able to take cash and card and look forward to welcoming you all to the Completely Suzuki Stadium on the day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and good luck for the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning All,

Hope to see some of you on Saturday, we are a friendly bunch here and you will be welcomed in the club bar beforehand unless it is full. If the weather is kind, we do also have an bar outside in the car park as well.

Just a reminder it is the Mayor of Cheltenham's charity collection day this weekend, so even if you can only spare a few pence it will all be appreciated. For those that no longer carry cash, we will have collectors with card readers around the ground.

Good luck for the season.

8 minutes ago, tarranwilson said:

Good Morning All,

Hope to see some of you on Saturday, we are a friendly bunch here and you will be welcomed in the club bar beforehand unless it is full. If the weather is kind, we do also have an bar outside in the car park as well.

Just a reminder it is the Mayor of Cheltenham's charity collection day this weekend, so even if you can only spare a few pence it will all be appreciated. For those that no longer carry cash, we will have collectors with card readers around the ground.

Thanks Tarran, As Cheltenham based Rams are looking forward to a good day. A really local away game for us. Pleased to support the mayors collection, hope that's all we give you!

1 hour ago, tarranwilson said:

Good Morning All,

We are coming down on Friday, booked in at the Everyman theatre on Friday night and the Muse brassiere Saturday night, and the match Saturday afternoon of course, looking forward to it.

11 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

More than happy to contribute to this cause , on a different topic is it best to taxi to the ground from Cheltenham station,

Cheers all.

Football Ground Guide gives the following advice.

Cheltenham Railway Station is over two miles from the Whaddon Road ground, so best to jump in a taxi. Phil Truscott advises; ‘I caught Bus Service D from the Station Car park to the Town Centre (Clarence Street). On Saturdays Service D runs every 10 minutes. It costs £3.90 for a ‘day-rider’ ticket with unlimited travel in Cheltenham. From the Town centre it is a short walk to Whaddon Road down Prestbury Road. For the return journey you can catch Bus D (going in the direction of Hatherly/Warden Hill) from Pittville Street in the town centre (at the side entrance of Marks and Spencer). It stops opposite the railway station outside a Tesco Metro’. Bernard McCall a visiting Accrington Stanley fan adds; ‘If you catch Bus D from the train station and do nor get off in the town centre, then it continues to the racecourse where you can get on the free Park & Ride shuttle bus to the ground’.

On 23/12/2022 at 12:53, tarranwilson said:

Good Afternoon Rams,

I hope no one minds me posting in here but I am a Cheltenham Town fan that comes in peace.

I am a member of the Mayor of Cheltenham's charity committee and in our game against the Rams on Saturday 14th January 2023, the Mayor of Cheltenham Charities will be bucket collecting to raise funds for Feed Cheltenham (https://feedcheltenham.weebly.com) and Cheltenham Housing Aid Centre (CHAC) (www.chac.org.uk)

Both of these charities do great work and more information can be found on their websites, links above.

We appreciate during these difficult times, finding extra money to support charity is difficult for all of us, but if all fans donated just 20p the potential is there to raise over £1000 for these incredible charities.

We will be able to take cash and card and look forward to welcoming you all to the Completely Suzuki Stadium on the day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and good luck for the season.

I rather carry cash I will out something in your buckets or can things.

Hi All,

The park and ride service no longer operates, but you can park at the racecourse and walk to the ground. It is approximately a 20 minute walk from the racecourse. Turn left out the racecourse, at the first mini roundabout turn right and follow the road all the way down to another roundabout and take the first left. It is signposted to the ground from here.

If you are getting the train, a day rider ticket now costs about £5, you can catch the D bus from the train station car park and get off in town right outside a Wetherspoons in the town centre. Word of warning, Stagecoach are providing a pathetic service at the moment with plenty of last minute cancellations. a taxi to the ground will roughly cost about £15.

You can walk from the station if you wish, it would take about 45 minutes, cross the road towards the tesco metro and as you look at tesco there is a footpath to the right you can walk this all the way in to the town centre and up to the ground.

If coming from the town centre, Stagecoach service A runs right alongside the ground, so if you have a day rider you can get this to Whaddon Road, there are stops before and just after the ground.

If I can help with anything else, please let me know.

Our form is a little patchy this season, our 1 win in 5 was preceded by 1 loss in 7, and we don't tend to concede many. We have one new face in already with another expected before Saturday. Although last season we were winless in 11 before Sunderland rolled in to town and beat them 2-1. I'm just hoping we don't get an absolute hammering.

3 hours ago, SKRam said:

Cheltenham on my real ale hit list, plenty to go at.

Best wishes with the collections 

Best 2 pubs in town are Jollybrewmaster about 20 minutes from the train station or the Sandford Park Alehouse (my favorite town pub) about 20 minutes from the ground. Enjoy the beer and the game?

7 hours ago, Scrumpyram said:

Best 2 pubs in town are Jollybrewmaster about 20 minutes from the train station or the Sandford Park Alehouse (my favorite town pub) about 20 minutes from the ground. Enjoy the beer and the game?

Thanks for the heads up @Scrumpyram. Not at the game Sat but definitely a trip out in the spring 

Announces Last Call GIF

1 hour ago, tarranwilson said:

Morning All,

We have been advised today that we are unable to have any bucket collectors on the away end on Saturday, as our local force have deemed the game high risk.

There will be collectors around in the club bar and car park if any of you wish to donate.

Thanks

Do they think we'll nick the buckets? I've already got plenty of buckets ?

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do they think we'll nick the buckets? I've already got plenty of buckets ?

It's the rise of the drunken yobs that unfortunately come along when the going is good. I'd much rather have half the away support that actually watches the game, cheers on the team and is respectful to each other and opposition supporters. Those who want to chuck beer in the air pre match soaking everyone, snort whatever substance in the toilets, pick fights with children wearing opposition colours or stewards/police who dare ask them nicely to calm down, then those who'll just stand up anywhere/anyway despite elderly/disabled/children being behind them. The larger the away crowd, the larger the section of utter t**** we collect. 

15 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

It's the rise of the drunken yobs that unfortunately come along when the going is good. I'd much rather have half the away support that actually watches the game, cheers on the team and is respectful to each other and opposition supporters. Those who want to chuck beer in the air pre match soaking everyone, snort whatever substance in the toilets, pick fights with children wearing opposition colours or stewards/police who dare ask them nicely to calm down, then those who'll just stand up anywhere/anyway despite elderly/disabled/children being behind them. The larger the away crowd, the larger the section of utter t**** we collect. 

Rant over in response to a little bit of a jokey post? ?

Seriously though, I agree with you but I wouldn't have thought collectors for charity would have been at any risk at all provided they were sensibly located (for example, not too near the actual turnstiles). There will only be about 1,400 of us there and, whilst there is unfortunately a sizable minority of idiots, there are plenty of us "reasonable" fans that will be there. Most of the unsavoury behaviour you describe takes place inside the ground not outside. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Rant over in response to a little bit of a jokey post? ?

Seriously though, I agree with you but I wouldn't have thought collectors for charity would have been at any risk at all provided they were sensibly located (for example, not too near the actual turnstiles). There will only be about 1,400 of us there and, whilst there is unfortunately a sizable minority of idiots, there are plenty of us "reasonable" fans that will be there. Most of the unsavoury behaviour you describe takes place inside the ground not outside. 

100% a little strange banning the collection buckets from outside the away stand. Rather strange. And yes, rant over. The club have said in the supporters meeting that young fans are on the up, let's give them an enjoyable experience, not a traumatising one!