Federer retires

PistoldPete

Gutted to see Federer retire. For me he's the best of all time in terms of technique, vision, and style of play. His only real weakness was his mentality at certain critical moments such as set and match points. If he'd had a stronger mentality at a few key moments you're probably looking at 23-25 grand slams that he'd win not just the 20 that he did. 

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Last ATP event next week.

Him and Serena going feels like the end of the era.

Maybe Nadal will follow?  Murray too? 

Murray is past it.  Nadal is clinging on, he power tennis days are catching up with him.  If only countries would let Djokovic in he'd clean up and be well out in front re. Grand Slams.

Its a shame that Federer's career kinda fizzled out towards the end through injury, but at 40+ he's had a long career and has established himself as the ultimate pro both on and off the court.  Gonna miss those silky skills ? 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Gutted to see Federer retire. For me he's the best of all time in terms of technique, vision, and style of play. His only real weakness was his mentality at certain critical moments such as set and match points. If he'd had a stronger mentality at a few key moments you're probably looking at 23-25 grand slams that he'd win not just the 20 that he did. 

Yes I think of Federer being ahead of Nadal despite Nadal's higher number of grand slams but maybe because I'm biased in favour of Federer's  Wimbledon titles.   

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Yes I think of Federer being ahead of Nadal despite Nadal's higher number of grand slams but maybe because I'm biased in favour of Federer's  Wimbledon titles.   

You take clay out and Federer is probably the better player of the two. If Federer had played Nadal on grass (4 times) as often as Nadal had on clay (16 times) then that 24-16 record would be overturned. The head to head is odd as it penalises Federer for being so successful across surfaces to meet Nadal on his best (and he's easily the best ever on clay I would say). You take clay out for titles and Nadal sits on 8 grand slams out of 22, thus the French represents 14 of his titles numbering well over half. Wimbledon at 8 out of 20 grand slams doesn't even represent half of Federer's... They're both great players but on anything but clay roger comes out slightly ahead I'd say. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

38 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

You take clay out and Federer is probably the better player of the two. If Federer had played Nadal on grass (4 times) as often as Nadal had on clay (16 times) then that 24-16 record would be overturned. The head to head is odd as it penalises Federer for being so successful across surfaces to meet Nadal on his best (and he's easily the best ever on clay I would say). You take clay out for titles and Nadal sits on 8 grand slams out of 22, thus the French represents 14 of his titles numbering well over half. Wimbledon at 8 out of 20 grand slams doesn't even represent half of Federer's... They're both great players but on anything but clay roger comes out slightly ahead I'd say. 

I dunno. Bjorg won 6 French by the time he was 25 and 5 Wimbledons.  He didn't play in Australia but got 11 grand slams by the time he was 25.  Came up short in the US but got to 4 finals.  If the anxiety that hampered him behind a pretty steely disposition hadn't made him pack up, I suspect he'd have been pushing 20 and probably a few more. 

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I dunno. Bjorg won 6 French by the time he was 25 and 5 Wimbledons.  He didn't play in Australia but got 11 grand slams by the time he was 25.  Came up short in the US but got to 4 finals.  If the anxiety that hampered him behind a pretty steely disposition hadn't made him pack up, I suspect he'd have been pushing 20 and probably a few more. 

That's a fair point tbh. For me, Nadal's haul at the French is as close to unsurpassable as you can get though. Even with Bjorg winning 6 by he was 25 he'd have had to win another 8 just to get even.. that in a time when people didn't win slams past the age of 30 i think?

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Murray is past it.  Nadal is clinging on, he power tennis days are catching up with him.  If only countries would let Djokovic in he'd clean up and be well out in front re. Grand Slams.

Its a shame that Federer's career kinda fizzled out towards the end through injury, but at 40+ he's had a long career and has established himself as the ultimate pro both on and off the court.  Gonna miss those silky skills ? 

To be honest his career as a genuine title winner tapered off about 3 years ago.  His endorsements over the last 10 years though were the highest in sport and incredibly, made him more than his on court exploits.  I suspect he would have packed up a couple of years ago at least but I wouldn't fancy losing out on about 30 million quid either, or paying back any paid up front.

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

probably one of the most sporting and honorable men in the history of sport and one I respect as much as is possible to.

Wanted him to be the GOAT so much.

I think he is. I know the other two have surpassed his grand slams wins, but like Sampras before him, he is a huge inspiration.

Also, his record for consecutive grand slam semi finals of 23 is incredible. He made 10 consecutive grand slam finals. Nadal is the greatest on clay of all time but for at least 5 years Federer was the second best. Lost 4 finals at the French to Nadal. 

He was an artist on the court. I think when we look at his career as a whole compared to the others he holds records I doubt can be beaten.

A true legend of the sport. He is by far the most watchable because from a technique and entertainment value, he is the best to have ever held a racket. Nadal and Djokovic are also legends and have won more titles, but Fed will go down as the most iconic.

Federer’s record is also hugely impressive given he wasn’t as physically blessed as some of his opponents.

Fed to tennis is what Messi is to football, what Floyd is to boxing and Schumacher is to F1. Icons.

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

A true legend of the sport. He is by far the most watchable because from a technique and entertainment value, he is the best to have ever held a racket. Nadal and Djokovic are also legends and have won more titles, but Fed will go down as the most iconic.

Federer’s record is also hugely impressive given he wasn’t as physically blessed as some of his opponents.

Fed to tennis is what Messi is to football, what Floyd is to boxing and Schumacher is to F1. Icons.

So difficult to compare players that I have seen since the 70’s as the rackets have changed so much . Feds is/was a wonderful player but I still think a prime McEnroe is the best I’ve seen,  a magician with a wooden racket. Been lucky to see some of the greatest (mens ) players of all time , Borg , Becker , Connors , ( had a liking for Nastase as well ) , Edberg , Agassi. The recent era with Feds , Joka , Rafa and Murray was the most competitive. They could all have won more if the other 3 weren’t around. Sampras was good but I never took to him .