Any metal heads or musicians on this forum?

BatRam

23 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Scorpions at rock n blues was first gig i ever went to. Michael schenker was supporting and he was horrendous. Black stone cherry are brilliant but since they did the blues and cover album theyve gone downhill abit. Clutch are an incredible band. Really weird but brill ?

Seen Schenker a number of times in both UFO and solo and his performance can be extremely variable depending on his 'state'. He seems to have got himself well sorted over recent years and the last few times I have seen him he has been outstanding. If you get another chance I would go and see him, even better if he gets Ronnie Romero out of the band!

Edited by metalsheep02
error

On 06/09/2022 at 12:11, Gaspode said:

Just thinking back to the 'heavier' bands I saw at the Assembly Rooms in the early 80s:

• Iron Maiden (twice in 1980 - though didn't go to see them again after Di'Anno left)
  • Thin Lizzy (I think 3 times)
  • UFO (3 times at least) - what a great live band
  • Def Leppard (probably the worst of the lot, though they were very young at the time)
  • Magnum
  • Gillan (at least twice)
  • Saxon
  • Budgie (once at AR, once at the Rockhouse - my poor ears)
  • Hawkwind (and again at Rock City)
  • Jethro Tull (more times than I can remember and at multiple venues)

Missed out on Ozzy, Schenker (though caught them eventually at De Montfort), Motorhead (again saw then in Leicester), Priest simply because there were so many bands playing in a short space of time that I couldn't afford to go to them all.....?

Further afield I saw AC/DC (3 or 4 times), Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake (several times), Slade (all at Monsters of Rock in 81), Plant & Page (a couple of times); the Stones - and then loads of more 'proggy' bands mostly multiple times (inc Genesis, Yes, Rush, Marillion...)

We were so lucky to have a thriving venue in the early 80s (and a huge number of bands touring) - feel sorry for folks nowadays that they're starved of seeing bands in smaller venues and have to travel out of the city...

Happy days... when the assembly rooms was a proper gig venue... I saw the Clash, WASP, Warlock, Anti nowhwere league plus loads more there. Such a shame that Derby doesn't have a reasonably sized venue any more.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Been a headbanger since before headbanging was invented. Saw Sabbath as early as 1971 and it most definitely changed my life. Unfortunately, I'm now deaf (a virus 15 years ago, not Ozzy-induced) but I can still 'feel' the music.

Very jealous , Black sabbath are a massive influence for me. Especially as im a left handed guitarist like Tony iommi 

2 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

Very jealous , Black sabbath are a massive influence for me. Especially as im a left handed guitarist like Tony iommi 

Back when I was in the 6th form at School was when I first started going to gigs. Ten Years After, Wishbone Ash, Floyd, Zeppelin, Atomic Rooster, Deep Purple and so on. What a Time to be alive. Biggest regret was that I never saw Zappa live. Had tickets for Sheffield but they cancelled. Zappa had fallen/been thrown off the stage a couple of nights previously and broken his leg.

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Back when I was in the 6th form at School was when I first started going to gigs. Ten Years After, Wishbone Ash, Floyd, Zeppelin, Atomic Rooster, Deep Purple and so on. What a Time to be alive. Biggest regret was that I never saw Zappa live. Had tickets for Sheffield but they cancelled. Zappa had fallen/been thrown off the stage a couple of nights previously and broken his leg.

We saw Wishbone Ash, Hawkwind and Yes at Reading Pop Festival in 1975. A vintage year. 

Nor really relevant to this thread, but Paul Young did a cracking gig at the Assembly Rooms back in the 80s! ?

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

We saw Wishbone Ash, Hawkwind and Yes at Reading Pop Festival in 1975. A vintage year. 

Nor really relevant to this thread, but Paul Young did a cracking gig at the Assembly Rooms back in the 80s! ?

I saw Wishbone Ash, and Hawkwind at Cheltenham town hall (separate nights) around same time, though possibly '74. 

16 hours ago, TimRam said:

Anyone seen a support band that became huge? I the first uk gig by Bon Jovi as support to Kiss. Yes you did get the impression they would go onto bigger things.

Bon jovi were brilliant when they started out. but what a load of crap theyve become. Theyve got one of the best guitarists in the world in Phil x and theyre playing rubbish ? Black stone cherry , alter bridge , airbourne , hale storm , volbeat and gojira prob loads more but cant think

Not a metal fan generally but some stuff I can relate to.

What I really want to know, what do people see in Def Leppard?  I'm sure they can play their instruments to a high standard but what they play is terrible, at least from when I remember when they became popular back in the day.

Never understood it, but then I never understood the appeal of Meat Loaf either.

39 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Not a metal fan generally but some stuff I can relate to.

What I really want to know, what do people see in Def Leppard?  I'm sure they can play their instruments to a high standard but what they play is terrible, at least from when I remember when they became popular back in the day.

Never understood it, but then I never understood the appeal of Meat Loaf either.

They did the perfect bubblegum rock LP  for the 80's American market in Hysteria. All there mum and dads took them as safer option than Motley Crue and Guns N Roses.  Jobs a good un .  Right place, right time

My friend taught physics to the drummer from Def Leppard and remembers with great embarrassment telling him to work harder as he wouldn't make a career out of music. One of those moments that comes back to haunt you. I've seen Maiden 3 times, absolutely brilliant and in the 70s went to Clouds later Cleopatra's on a Thursday night to see bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Uriah Heep, Trapeze. It was great we just sat on the floor shaking our heads. Left me with a permanently creaking neck though.

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My mum use to go about seeing bands at a club in Derby called Clouds (I think?) in the 70s.

Remember seeing Manic street preachers in the Assembly rooms.

Used to enjoy seeing bands at the Vic Inn near the train station in my late teens.

The Blue Note used to have some great bands when they were starting out or on the comeback .  Got this Robert Plant vinyl at home.  Quite a rarity.  Little known one .  Wings first outing as a  band was in front of 30 people at The Bell Hotel as a warm up for their first proper appearance at Nottingham Trent the following day. 

image.png.bd0b07d7016ffb47a809a864ecfaaace.png

image.png.180864e0870109ecc0538738d432a84e.png