PP Sound System

Wolfie20

In the west stand it is pretty loud. I noticed it was breaking up a bit on the first game so maybe needs some maintenance. I also notice a few of the square on the video screen have gone faulty. 

Fully agree with sufferingfool that playing music up until kick off doesn't help the south stand build the atmosphere.

SBW isn’t great, but it’s become a tradition and would be a shame to bin it after all this time (if it had only just been introduced I may think differently)

W.A.D poem needs to be binned before it becomes an ingrained tradition.  Too long, too shouty, too many tortured historical references, it isn’t stirring, it doesn’t make my chest swell. Maybe keep it for special occasions, like when the Queen comes to visit, that type of thing.

Pre-match music. Too loud, too much, too samey, too loud (again).

‘Its in your DNA youth’ man… give it a rest ‘youth’. 

Would just prefer to have some gentle background music so I can talk to the person next to me and to let the atmosphere build naturally (who decided we needed bombastic music to generate an atmosphere?), the odd announcement, SBW, kick off. Simple.

Still grumpy.

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

W.A.D poem needs to be binned before it becomes an ingrained tradition.  Too long, too shouty, too many tortured historical references, it isn’t stirring, it doesn’t make my chest swell. Maybe keep it for special occasions, like when the Queen comes to visit, that type of thing.

Too many people seem to be ashamed of Derby and its history - some don't even know much about it, or bother to find out. WAD might be a little overblown for some tastes, but I like it. For many of us, it also tells the story of our families, the hard work they put in trying to give us better lives than previous generations. 

If Nottingham can celebrate a folk-hero who from South Yorkshire who didn't exist and a Forest that is a fraction of its original size, I think we can tolerate a slam-poem that celebrates real history and real values, can't we?.

I really like We Are Derby - it serves as a reminder of our proud history and place in Derby's wider history. 

It's the sort of thing I would see as a positive reflection of the club as an away fan. Or a new fan, or an occasional attendee.

It's a shame if familiarity is watering down that message for us regulars.

It gave me goosebumps originally, now I recite bits of it. 

At the very least, it's a welcome break from the 'music'!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I really like We Are Derby - it serves as a reminder of our proud history and place in Derby's wider history. 

It's the sort of thing I would see as a positive reflection of the club as an away fan. Or a new fan, or an occasional attendee.

It's a shame if familiarity is watering down that message for us regulars.

It gave me goosebumps originally, now I recite bits of it. 

At the very least, it's a welcome break from the 'music'!

I agree, I like 'We are Derby' especially when it is done live (v Oxford), builds up the atmosphere  far more than the same old pre match music - surely time for a revamp, perhaps a bit more of the classical stuff we now seem to run out to.

30 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Too many people seem to be ashamed of Derby and its history - some don't even know much about it, or bother to find out. WAD might be a little overblown for some tastes, but I like it. For many of us, it also tells the story of our families, the hard work they put in trying to give us better lives than previous generations. 

If Nottingham can celebrate a folk-hero who from South Yorkshire who didn't exist and a Forest that is a fraction of its original size, I think we can tolerate a slam-poem that celebrates real history and real values, can't we?.

Not sure how you equate my dislike of a particular poem being played before every home game with being ashamed of Derby and it’s history (but this is the internet, so such leaps of logic are the norm).  

We don’t need a history lesson before each match. It doesn’t inspire me to get behind the team. Repetition has reduced whatever effectiveness it might have had. Maybe it would help if the PA system allowed me to hear what was being shouted but it’s just noise to me now.  

But it’s just an opinion. I’m not starting a campaign to stop it being shouted, I’m not suggesting others shouldn’t enjoy it, I’m not suggesting anybody who likes it is an idiot, I’m not suggesting that anybody who dislikes it is some kind of traitor to Derby. It’s just something I don’t really like.

Not sure the comparison to Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest really holds up to scrutiny either, unless of course, Forest play some sort of Robin Hood related poem before every football match? 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Not sure how you equate my dislike of a particular poem being played before every home game with being ashamed of Derby and it’s history (but this is the internet, so such leaps of logic are the norm).  

We don’t need a history lesson before each match. It doesn’t inspire me to get behind the team. Repetition has reduced whatever effectiveness it might have had. Maybe it would help if the PA system allowed me to hear what was being shouted but it’s just noise to me now.  

But it’s just an opinion. I’m not starting a campaign to stop it being shouted, I’m not suggesting others shouldn’t enjoy it, I’m not suggesting anybody who likes it is an idiot, I’m not suggesting that anybody who dislikes it is some kind of traitor to Derby. It’s just something I don’t really like.

Not sure the comparison to Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest really holds up to scrutiny either, unless of course, Forest play some sort of Robin Hood related poem before every football match? 

Don't confuse "some people" with "you" - it's just a general observation made from posts on a number of threads - I should perhaps not have quoted your post directly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of it of course - in my view, it's none of the things that you find it to be. I do agree however that playing it before every game might lead to more people getting fed up of it. I'm not really sure if we'll ever get something that everyone approves of, but at least some fans are trying to come up with something different and distinctly "Derby". 

As for Forest, they do have their "Forest Kingdom" banner, which features Robin Hood prominently, and of course they play a version of that utter dirge MoK with lyrics that don't scan or rhyme, so maybe we're trying too hard. 

19 hours ago, Crewton said:

Don't confuse "some people" with "you" - it's just a general observation made from posts on a number of threads - I should perhaps not have quoted your post directly. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of it of course - in my view, it's none of the things that you find it to be. I do agree however that playing it before every game might lead to more people getting fed up of it. I'm not really sure if we'll ever get something that everyone approves of, but at least some fans are trying to come up with something different and distinctly "Derby". 

As for Forest, they do have their "Forest Kingdom" banner, which features Robin Hood prominently, and of course they play a version of that utter dirge MoK with lyrics that don't scan or rhyme, so maybe we're trying too hard. 

Mmmm

Can't say that I've come across too many, if any, posts that I would describe as being ashamed of Derby and it's history (the recent administration of the club and the losses suffered by creditors aside). I must have missed those.