Is it true about Boxing Day?

Bob The Badger

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

It happened on 26th December 1978.

We drew 1-1 at forest.

It was absolute carnage all day. Running battles from Nottingham station to the ground before and after the game. Derby fans were on the trains from 9am and causing havoc in and around slab square. I was 18 and could run like a whippet then. It came in useful at times but my personal memories of that day were Derby being in the ascendency and giving it large, hence the Boxing Day song.

Our train load were kept in the station, Sod that I said and we mooched up the track and down the embankment and out, Lady Bay Bridge was carnage, No winners except Notts finest, The cars parked around Scarrington road took a hit

22 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

My take on this long debated who stole who's song business(by us saddos) is as follows.

Boney M release their version of Mary's Boy Child November 1978, unleashing Jester Hairson's 1956 song into the public consciousness (nobody bothered with the Andy Williams 1965 version featured on his album "Merry Christmas").

Wrong...we did, But we were not allowed in wearing thick jumpers and carrying our guitars ?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

My take on this long debated who stole who's song business(by us saddos) is as follows.

Boney M release their version of Mary's Boy Child November 1978, unleashing Jester Hairson's 1956 song into the public consciousness (nobody bothered with the Andy Williams 1965 version featured on his album "Merry Christmas").

It was a regular occurence in those days for derby matches to be played around Christmas due presumably to train travel being difficult and a desire for a bumper crowd for the Boxing day game.

Derby played Forest Boxing Day 1978 and by all accounts was a bit spicy off the pitch and thus taking the new Christmas number one and recent incidents we came up with the catchy number that is still sung today.

However we know City and Wednesday sing versions and I'm sure there's others too but...

City and United have played many games around Boxing day but never actually on 26th itself and their 1902 Christmas Day meeting pre-dates the song by more than 50 years and wasn't exactly in the "golden age" of football violence. Their other meetings generally took place on 28th December or New Years eve which don't really lend themselves to the song lyrics.

Sheffield Wednesday, who like to claim every song we sing is copied from them, beat their city rivals on Boxing Day in a famous 4-0 win, which was also deemed to be "a bit hairy" off the pitch but this didn't happen until the year after Derby v Forest so surely their "acheivements" would have lent themselves to the tune of 1979's Christmas number one - Pink Floyds' Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)?

Therefore I reckon we were the most likely origin of this classic football ground anthem.

Can you just go over that again please?

On 21/08/2022 at 02:34, Bob The Badger said:

That we're getting 4,500 tickets to Bolton. And Forest  are getting 4,000 for Old Traffird although they'll probably only sell 500 and there's only one train serving the line. 
if it true, what could possibly go wrong?

I think the Prem have already cancelled Boxing Day fixtures and New Year’s Day due to players being exhausted.??‍♂️Expect Sky to fill the space with WSL.

33 minutes ago, popside ossie end popside said:

The year before was unbelievable outside. Forest just come up thrashed us 3-0, could have been 6. Think there was approaching 150 arrested that day

Peter Withe destroyed our defence that day. Can remember coming out of the ground shocked at how bad we were. 

22 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

It was a regular occurence in those days for derby matches to be played around Christmas due presumably to train travel being difficult and a desire for a bumper crowd for the Boxing day game.

Derby played Forest Boxing Day 1978 and by all accounts was a bit spicy off the pitch and thus taking the new Christmas number one and recent incidents we came up with the catchy number that is still sung today.

However we know City and Wednesday sing versions and I'm sure there's others too but...

City and United have played many games around Boxing day but never actually on 26th itself and their 1902 Christmas Day meeting pre-dates the song by more than 50 years and wasn't exactly in the "golden age" of football violence. Their other meetings generally took place on 28th December or New Years eve which don't really lend themselves to the song lyrics.

Sheffield Wednesday, who like to claim every song we sing is copied from them, beat their city rivals on Boxing Day in a famous 4-0 win, which was also deemed to be "a bit hairy" off the pitch but this didn't happen until the year after Derby v Forest so surely their "acheivements" would have lent themselves to the tune of 1979's Christmas number one - Pink Floyds' Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)?

Therefore I reckon we were the most likely origin of this classic football ground anthem.

So if pink floyd  was no1 that day the song must have had the chorus ........ Hey Wendies, leave those kids alone ! 

On 21/08/2022 at 22:18, uttoxram75 said:

It happened on 26th December 1978.

We drew 1-1 at forest.

It was absolute carnage all day. Running battles from Nottingham station to the ground before and after the game. Derby fans were on the trains from 9am and causing havoc in and around slab square. I was 18 and could run like a whippet then. It came in useful at times but my personal memories of that day were Derby being in the ascendency and giving it large, hence the Boxing Day song.

Yes I was there but luckily did not see any trouble. I do remember having to go in with Forest due to Dads mate who got me ticket being a red. Kept quiet until they missed a penalty and cheered. Big blokes looking around who was doing it and seeing a kid!