The Good, Bad and the Beautifully Ugly.

SK47

Probably doesnt deserve its own thread but seeing as I'm not breaking any rules, who cares. And I'm sure I won't be alone in starting threads like this either.

First and foremost Derby have just won the first game of the season and I am buzzing! The excitement is back! With that in mind I've took some notes based on the game and thought I'd share them.

The Good:

We have a real sleeping giant of a team. I feel like we barely got out of first gear and bar 1 or 2 moments we were very comfortable against a league 1 side that love to play football. 

James Collins (amongst others) will be our new cult hero this year. Plays with his heart on his sleeve, gets about, gets stuck in and seems to have a bit about him in the box aswel. Genuinely feel like he'll motivate those around him just by his tenacity and drive (Think Steve Howard)

Mendez Laing - real force in this league. I feel like he'll have that Wanchope feel to him, frustrating occasionally but overall a quality player, especially for this league.

I could go on but above all, what a feeling to have our club back, the excitement and hearing the fans singing with pride. I've almost forgot the last 18 months even happened I'm so happy. 

The Bad:

Lack of wing backs. 

The only thing I see us truly lacking at the moment in comparison to last season and the previous 8-10 seasons is our marauding wing backs.

At the moment we've got Knight who even tho can play there, is not a rb, and most certainly isn't someone who naturally has blistering pace to over lap and stretch the game out wide, same with Roberts at left back. They do solid jobs, but its not the attacking wing backs that are needed for the 1 striker up front formation.

I feel like if we can address 1 of these positions with a replacement for Byrne/Buchannan - this will give us the edge for how we want to play. We won today, yes, but I think this will help cut teams open and allow our wingers to drop inside and support our CF more, whoever that is.

The Beautifully Ugly:

I'm not talking about a Haydon Roberts mug shot, I'm talking about our grit! We look like a team that is going to dig in physically when it's needed, which will be often. Yeah the game was scrappy at times but it was good to see us not get thrown off our game and give as good as we got in the battles. 

Thank you for today Derby, you've made a ram down in Cornwall very happy.

COYR

❤❤

31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Cheap shot at one of our own players. 

I take the piss out of everyone mate, even myself.

If you can take the last 18 months as a Derby fan I'm sure you can take a joke. 

?

7 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I think Knight will grow into that RB role if they decide to and he's happy playing there, his link up play way NML was special in those first 15 minutes, more game time and more training together they'll cause no end of teams problems.

Worked really well throughout second half too. I thought Knight had an exceptional game.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Worked really well throughout second half too. I thought Knight had an exceptional game.

Yeah I agree they just got a bit wiser to it doubling up on the pair of them but he still had a very good game probably deserved man of the match on reflection.

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

I take the piss out of everyone mate, even myself.

If you can take the last 18 months as a Derby fan I'm sure you can take a joke. 

?

Joke??? Hardly   . what's funny about it? Cheap nasty shot.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Joke??? Hardly   . what's funny about it? Cheap nasty shot.

Roberts is that you mate? Are you OK? Do you need a help up from your sit down wee?

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

I think Knight will grow into that RB role if they decide to and he's happy playing there, his link up play way NML was special in those first 15 minutes, more game time and more training together they'll cause no end of teams problems.

Yeah don't get me wrong the link up play was good, but I feel like if we had a rb that had that extra yard of pace, it will give us that bit more of a cutting edge. Maybe we've been spoilt for great skillful wing backs in recent times, but I genuinely think If we have 1 now, it will see us head and shoulders above the rest of the league I really do.

Knight has played great at rb for the record! But I prefer him hassling and driving with his energy in a more central area.