Paul Ryder RIP

BaaLocks

If you're of a certain age you will clearly remember just how new and fun the Happy Mondays were as a band. They sounded like nothing that had been before. Paul Ryder, bass player and brother of Shaun (described by Tony Wilson as Britain's best poet since W B Yeats) was a pillar of that sound and 58 is no age, even with the amount of over indulgences they all partook of.

I saw them many times circa 1988/89 and loved all the stuff up until the Madchester EP. After that I thought they became a bit too self aware and started to become predictable and a victim of their own success

I remember one particular gig at Trent Poly, we saw them in the bar and sat with them. Tried to make conversation but it was quickly apparent that they were tripping their nuts off!

The gig was in the big room downstairs (which was a surprise as we'd seen Inspiral Carpets and Stone Roses around the same time and they were playing the smaller upstairs room). The sound was incredible and particularly Paul's amazing bass. He was always the lynchpin of their sound for me

The gig ended up with them fighting on stage ?

RIP 

Have tickets to see them later this month at the Rock Oyster event here in Cornwall. Not sure they'll be playing now and they were literally the only reason I wanted to go.

Bummed is still one of my favourite albums of all time.

I hit 60 this week and it kinda brings home your mortality.

RIP indeed.

I also saw them many times circa 1988/89 as @Stive Pesley. I was chasing about seeing James, The Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Bridewell Taxis, New Fast Automatic Daffodils, The High, Northside, Cud, Paris Angels, Verve etc and loved every minute of it.

I first saw Happy Mondays at the Aberdeen Venue supporting James on October 14th 1988 Ticket £3.50. They bashed them songs out, and then Bez and Shaun walked off the front of the stage into the crowd and wandered around asking myself included, if anyone had any blow. I still have the fanzine from the gig Halycon Daze ISH ONE, the Aberdeen Alternative Festival Programme and the james chain mail from the gig tucked away in one of many ticket stub files, the ones that survived all the debauchery.

RIP Paul.

D3485DBB-5449-47C9-A737-9BDA12FA23DD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Archied said:

I see Shaun’s a little concerned about the possible connection to booster jab

Hmm - he'd just flown back from the US, so the simplest explanation is that he suffered a blood clot as a result of the long haul flight

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jan/21/transport.world#:~:text=After flying%2C 10 per cent,or are dead on arrival.

Still, I guess the covid vaccine story gets more traction online and has us all click-bickering 

Never let the tragic death of a man stop a journalist from twisting a story for clicks ?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hmm - he'd just flown back from the US, so the simplest explanation is that he suffered a blood clot as a result of the long haul flight

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jan/21/transport.world#:~:text=After flying%2C 10 per cent,or are dead on arrival.

Still, I guess the covid vaccine story gets more traction online and has us all click-bickering 

Never let the tragic death of a man stop a journalist from twisting a story for clicks ?

Your probably right , no way could it be vaccine related,,, as for traction online a person was thrown off Twitter for posting a copy of a death certificate of they’re spouse which listed the cause of death as vaccine reaction and the gov have agreed 120 k compensation so I’m not sure your online clickbate stands up , there are many cases of vaccine harm and they are being buried ,, now that does not mean I think the harm outweigh s the good because I don’t know enough about the figures but there really needs to be an open balanced look as we move forward , just as the results of lockdowns are comming home to roost too with the state of the country falling off a cliff 

Edited by Archied

Your probably right , no way could it be vaccine related

Did I say that? I simply said there was more than one possible cause. The more likely cause wasn't mentioned, but the papers all play up the vaccine angle (which I know *is* another possible cause - but why just focus on that one?)

You see - this is the problem. Your initial reaction is to start laying into me for something I didn't actually say. And that's exactly what the media want

Unless we, as humans start to learn to not fall for this con trick and begin to think before we type - we're doomed. The virus is the least of our worries. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Did I say that? I simply said there was more than one possible cause. The more likely cause wasn't mentioned, but the papers all play up the vaccine angle (which I know *is* another possible cause - but why just focus on that one?)

You see - this is the problem. Your initial reaction is to start laying into me for something I didn't actually say. And that's exactly what the media want

Unless we, as humans start to learn to not fall for this con trick and begin to think before we type - we're doomed. The virus is the least of our worries. 

Nope your probably right that I was a bit strong on whether you were open to consider vaccine as a contributing factor and I certainly am not taking it as red that it couldn’t be something that’s not vaccine related ,

where I would disagree with you is the point where you feel the media and papers are pushing stories about vaccine harm , I feel there’s not enough investigative journalism going on and not enough questions being asked ,

12 hours ago, Archied said:

where I would disagree with you is the point where you feel the media and papers are pushing stories about vaccine harm , I feel there’s not enough investigative journalism going on and not enough questions being asked

I don't disagree that the media should be doing more actual journalism!

That's my point really, the media would rather just publish contentious quotes to push people's buttons and get them arguing about things, than actually do a proper job and investigate/publish facts

56 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

That's my point really, the media would rather just publish contentious quotes to push people's buttons and get them arguing about things, than actually do a proper job and investigate/publish facts

Oops we are not always totally on different pages ?

58 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Gov stats are showing rises in excess deaths ( non covid ) and deaths from unknown causes in this country and others around the world but nobody seems bothered about reporting and investigating what’s going on

Gov stats are showing rises in excess deaths ( non covid ) and deaths from unknown causes in this country and others around the world but nobody seems bothered about reporting and investigating what’s going on

Possibly restricted access to health services during and since the pandemic  - resulting in delayed diagnosisof life threatening conditions and broken treatment?.

But then it's more likely to be from the vaccine or chemtrails.

During the pandemic we were told daily how many people were dying, over the past 3 months there have been over 10k non-covid related excess deaths - thats more than 1000 excess deaths per week, yet the media is mostly silent and there seems no urgency to understand why.

200k people have died with covid during the past 2 years, we should be in a period of 'negative excess deaths' as many of those that died would have been expected to live until now (and beyond) so 10k excess deaths is highly likely not be the whole picture, regardless, don't the families of those 10k deserve an answer?  Don't we as concerned citizens deserve to know why? 

I am sure delayed diagnosis and the insane waiting lists/waiting times are playing their part - in which case, serious considerations should be given to any future mention of lockdowns.  There also seem to be an elevated number of younger, healthier people dying in their sleep or whilst doing regular daily activities.  Without a proper investigation its difficult to draw conclusions and therefore impossible to take any preventative or mitigating actions.

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

During the pandemic we were told daily how many people were dying, over the past 3 months there have been over 10k non-covid related excess deaths - thats more than 1000 excess deaths per week, yet the media is mostly silent and there seems no urgency to understand why.

200k people have died with covid during the past 2 years, we should be in a period of 'negative excess deaths' as many of those that died would have been expected to live until now (and beyond) so 10k excess deaths is highly likely not be the whole picture, regardless, don't the families of those 10k deserve an answer?  Don't we as concerned citizens deserve to know why? 

I am sure delayed diagnosis and the insane waiting lists/waiting times are playing their part - in which case, serious considerations should be given to any future mention of lockdowns.  There also seem to be an elevated number of younger, healthier people dying in their sleep or whilst doing regular daily activities.  Without a proper investigation its difficult to draw conclusions and therefore impossible to take any preventative or mitigating actions.

My guess is that if or when any investigation is carried out we may find the overuse of covid vaccine in groups that really didn’t need it ,given that it did not and does not stop the catching and spreading of covid will have needlessly raised the numbers affected by vaccine harm/ reaction, 

I will get slated for that as it’s just a gut feel guess and I’m ok with that but only time and proper investigation will tell 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I don't doubt for a second that the vaccine has been an aggravating factor in some "excess deaths" - because I read the pamphlet they have you when you had the injection. It was pretty clear that there were risks, and the statistics/probabilities were also clear. Given the many millions of doses administered, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any deaths as a result!

Delayed diagnosis/waiting lists are also a massive factor, but add to that the chronic understaffing of the NHS for people who ARE undergoing treatment - even getting treatment doesn't mean you're cared for well

I guess my recent absence won't have been noticed, but I had some major surgery in late June and had a 5 day stay in an NHS hospital. I was horrified by what I witnessed. It's truly being run into the ground ?

28 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't doubt for a second that the vaccine has been an aggravating factor in some "excess deaths" - because I read the pamphlet they have you when you had the injection. It was pretty clear that there were risks, and the statistics/probabilities were also clear. Given the many millions of doses administered, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any deaths as a result!

Delayed diagnosis/waiting lists are also a massive factor, but add to that the chronic understaffing of the NHS for people who ARE undergoing treatment - even getting treatment doesn't mean you're cared for well

I guess my recent absence won't have been noticed, but I had some major surgery in late June and had a 5 day stay in an NHS hospital. I was horrified by what I witnessed. It's truly being run into the ground ?

Hope you are on the mend ,,, nhs has been on the edge of crisis for many years far beyond covid , now seems the whole country is in crisis too everywhere you look and I can’t see any party with any idea or will to get a grip